Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where old hot rodders retire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Feb 28, 2015.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Think this last winter had broken my spirits. My heater doesn't get the garage past 35 degrees and the cold has been unrelenting. Global warming my ass! My wife wants out as soon as possible but can't stand the thought of living in a planned community with a dink garage and I am not selling my 34 or 30 roadster. (She can sell her 66 Mustang convertible)
    Where in the sun belt do we finally retire? Need like minded people old school Hot rodders so I don't lose my mind. Been to Florida, Arizona, Georgia, South and North Carolina and California.
    Is Texas an option?
    Feedback anyone?

2. Markmonty

Markmonty
    from Gerorgia

North Georgia or Tennessee is nice. Lots to see on day trips.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Texas and Oklahoma has a lot of hot rods. Living is cheap. Winter is only about 2 mo long. This year winter was about 70 degrees, but it was pretty warm this year.

wingnutz and da34guy like this.
  4. I was in Sanford Florida a couple of weeks ago. It was cool in the morning and 65---75 in the afternoon. That was valentines day weekend. Plenty of hot rod stuff to do. See my thread called "my great weekend getaway in florida". You will see what your looking for. Tim

dana barlow likes this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to live in the Boston area and moved to Wilmington NC. We have the beach, plenty of sunshine most of the time, rare times where it gets below freezing in the winter, but not for any extended period of time. Rarely is there any snow and if it does it is gone the next day. July and August can be hot and humid (90 degrees/90% humidity) but that is what AC is for! Not far from NASCAR stuff up in Charlotte/Concord so plenty to do. 1 hour from Myrtle Beach and golf heaven. Don't regret moving down here away from record snowfalls in the north. I am 60 and will retire in two years and am staying here. Been here 10 years now. Currently working on a 31 A v8 roadster.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Minden/Reno, Nevada area

7. silent rick

silent rick

it'd be cheaper to better insulate the garage and get a better heater. surviving the winter adds character. winter is when things get down on our projects. you want to trade all that for sweating your balls off. what good is A/C in a roadster?

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My wife is from Texas and she has a daughter in Oklahoma. Texas is very nice and so are some parts of Oklahoma.
    Oklahoma can be dirt cheap to live in because there is not much work or money there.
    People living there (some of them ) just get by.
    When we are down there (fairly regularly) I've learned that Texas is HOT :D
    Oklahoma is also HOT. :D
    If you are like me (a Canadian used to cold or cooler weather :)) then the heat can be as bad as the cold. It can also wither you and break your spirits.
    Guys who live in some of the places you mentioned don't drive convertibles with the top down or topless roadsters, or motorcycles in the heat, it's too damned hot.
    The sun will fry you.
    I'm no expert but for me I think it would be Arizona.
    Since being Canadian and with health care being a concern we are looking at Vancouver Island.
    Can't be considered the sun belt but certainly more temperate than Alberta. :D

9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Chucky likes this.
  10. silent rick

silent rick

air conditioning is for street rods.

kiwijeff and Texas Webb like this.
  11. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

As far as going to a place where there is an abundance of car guys, it would be hard to find a place with more activity than Lake Havasu, AZ. Probably, one out of two or three is into some kind of car stuff, whether it is hot rods. customs, motorcycles, race cars, etc. However, you have to love the heat as it gets really HOT there June -August. Trople digit hot! But, you won´t be lacking for car stuff to do.

The other choice is thwe West coast of Florida. Something car related always going on there.

DO NOT GO TO UPSTATE NY!!!

Roadrash91 and 48ford like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

i am stayin here... i could never move all this crap anyhow lol

RICH B, Paul B, chopper99 and 6 others like this.
  13. If I ever need to relocate,,,Austin,Texas is the palce to be,,,,,

BORRACHO13 and DaveH_RRTX like this.
  14. rockfish

rockfish

[QUOTE="hotrodrhp, post: 10869550, member:........Global warming my ass! My wife wants out as soon as possible but can't stand the thought of living in a planned community with a dink garage and I am not selling my 34 or 30 roadster. (She can sell her 66 Mustang convertible)
    Where in the sun belt do we finally retire? Need like minded people old school Hot rodders so I don't lose my mind. Been to Florida, Arizona, Georgia, South and North Carolina and California.
    Is Texas an option?
    Feedback anyone?[/QUOTE]

15. rockfish

rockfish

hotrodrhp, haven't you hear that it's not global warming anymore. After that was proven to be BS they changed it to global climate change:D. As a fellow Wisconsinite I feel just like you. I'm stuck here at least another dozen years because of work and family. Have friends/family in Austin and I love the surrounding area. I also like central Florida, Tennessee and the Carolina's. I don't mind the heat or humidity in summer either though. I don't mind visiting Florida in July. I do hate the cold and snow of Wisconsin though. Feels like I waste almost half the year here waiting for somewhat decent weather.

16. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

The heat is never as bad as freezing your ass off. You must not stay here long as we all ride motorcycles when it is hot and convertible tops are down unless it is raining.

17. I too love Minnesota, it's beautiful much of the time, you just pay for it in the winter. have a fun project in your well insulated shop and don't be a wimp!!

Moriarity likes this.
  18. rockfish

rockfish

I'm gonna wimp out in 12 years. Keep 2 of my favorites and sell the rest. One nice project to play around with once I get to warmer weather. I'm man enough to admit I'm a woman when it comes to cold weather.

19. Advice: Don't only consider the temps. Take a real close look at tax structure of the potential new state and their car friendly (or not) atmosphere. It's not always about the weather.:)

cptn60, wraymen, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  20. sir

sir

CHECK OUT SOUTHERN OREGON (BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE WEST)

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If there was a perfect place to live, you wouldn't be able to find a place to live, it would be so overcrowded that it would no longer be a perfect place. That and the fact we have differing thoughts of what it entails to qualify as a perfect place, I guess.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  22. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Moved here from NJ about seven years ago when I retired to be closer to the grand children. Problem is now we have grand children on either coast. Three in NC and two in Southern Calif. We rotate part time winters on either coast. We came back early this year from Georgia/Florida. Hating the cold more every year but love the fall bow season and trout fishing here in the spring. Guess i might have to give up some hobbies...sucks! Thing of part time 4-6 months in warmer climates. Condo living will drive me crazy. tried that this year and it sucked.
    Did stay in Lake Havasu two winters and lots of car guys there. Wife not crazy about the desert though. Summers are brutal I am told. Rented a convertible one summer there ...almost fried!

23. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Global warming is now called climate change...lol How about we have Washington legislate the sun to increase activity a wee bit! Cyclic mini ice age as is normal over the earth's history. Guess that makes me a climate change ..flat earth loon..... tough shit!

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  24. Special Ed

Special Ed

Lake Havasu City (as mentioned) has lots of car-related stuff, but it can get into the 120's during the summertime, so you can spend $500 a month on A/C, alone ... I owned a car lot, and lived there for several years. Not exactly the place to be from Late April through September.
    From what you've described, I'd consider Prescott Arizona. It's at a higher elevation, so the temperatures are much more moderate, and the hot rod scene there (mostly "older" hotrodders) is the best I've seen anywhere, other than southern California. Taxes are very cheap in Arizona, too.
    Southern Oregon is also nice, except fot all those damn Californicators that moved there ... ;)

flyin-t likes this.
  25. shop teacher

shop teacher

I just retired after 30 years teaching high school auto shop. I have too much stuff and a cabin up north.I would like a place to go during winter. Is there tours of California hot rod spots , Bonneville, etc?As a Norwiegen, any thing above 60 is hot, so I'd like to stay in Minnesota during the spring, summer & fall.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Does staying for the entire months of July and August count as long enough ? (or hot enough) ?
    I bought my present motorcycle in Austin years ago and when we were there to get it out of storage and bring it home I did ride it around for a while first before we left.
    We are usually in the Dallas area.
    The heat was a killer to me, I thought I was going to have a heat stroke.:D
    I've been down there in winter too, much easier to tolerate :)

27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Having made 2 trips to the hospital for heat stroke(slow learner)I cannot handle the heat.
    Have several friends who winter in the Lake Havasu area and they also claim it is hot rodders heaven.

28. how do you just leave your friends and family?
    for giant bugs, big snakes, alligators, scorpions, humidity etc....

29. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I have lived both ways, For me bring on the heat,,,July and August are the hottest, but I don't know how your not seeing any motorcycles or convertibles during those months. Stroll over STROKERS next time your in Dallas in July