Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where can I get plug wire by the foot ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thompsonwayne1, Jul 24, 2014.

1. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

Hello
    Where can I buy spark plug wire by the foot and the straight and 90 degree ends also. I have a roadster and you can't hear the radio while you're driving so I don't care about rf supression wire. I guess the non-supression wire gives you a hotter spark ?
    Thanks

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

NAPA has a Belden Wire section and they have it all. I have the catalog and can get you some numbers if needed, Most NAPA stores can handle this.
    Supression cable really doesnt change the spark it just modifys the freq to get rid of unwanted rfi etc.
    If a engine needs 8,000 volts to ignite the air fuel then thats what it will take solid cable or not.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

that might be an old wives tale but I'm going to stick to my old tradition of solid core wire. Packard 440 wire was the first "hop up" that I ever did to my hotrod. I'm too old to change now.
    [​IMG]

I'll just keep on denying reality.:D it makes me happy.

4. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

I remember doing that! Quick and easy, the first hop up to all my cars.

5. You can still get the red transparent solid core wire by the foot from Speedway Motors.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Check with GMC Bubba, but most Electronic Ignitions do not recommend solid core wire. If you are still using points you will be fine with a solid core.
    Auto zone has a 8 cylinder universal wire set that you cut to fit. I just did up a set for my '57 and they came out great. Like $17.oo for the set and they are black and made here in the good old USA!
    KK

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you do use solid core please put a resistor in the coil, or use a resistor wire for the coil wire. Other people's radios and TVs will appreciate it.

Using resistor wire does not affect your spark.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah come on Rusty it's fun to pull up beside someone with non resistor wires and watch the dirty looks headed your way because you screwed up their radio or phone reception.

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Restoration Supply sells Packard 440 wire by the foot. Or is it Rhode Island Wire?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We had 250 ft. roll of Packard 400 at a Porsche dealer I worked for, I was the only one that used it.
    Everybody else just took the premade sets off the shelf...
    The Service Mgr. was a wiseass, always playing jokes on the apprentices.
    One afternoon he was on a road test, so I took about 11 feet of 440, skinned an inch off the ends, and ran it from his coil out the bottom of his VW engine hatch, into the bottom of his passenger door and across behind the seats, under the thin material he had draped over the torn seat cushion.
    Left the skinned end right in the middle of the seat.

After work, he sat down in his bug, and spun the engine over. We watched from inside the showroom...
    His eyes lit up, and he stopped cranking. Then, he resumed cranking! Then he jumped, damn near hit his head on the roof. And it wasn't chopped!
    He came back in, looked like he'd been struck by lightning. Damn near had.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I bought a partial spool of Packard 440 off of EBAY. I made the wires so that the logos were in a very noticeable spot for all to see. I wasted a lot of wire just to get the logos to align starting with the logo in the most prominent location for all the old farts (that care) to see. Detail, details, details. BTW it's a converted Chrysler electronic ignition system. I ran the red see through solid cable wires on my flathead with the same system for years with no problems.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  13. Here ya go, plug wire by the foot. haha, I couldn't resist DSC07855.JPG

stealthcruiser likes this.
  14. Phil1934

Phil1934

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've used solid core wires with an MSD mounted behind the firewall. And packard 440 with rajah clips is the real shit. Its the little things that say a lot. I read that on a Hallmark card, but its just as true for hot rods...;)

sko_ford likes this.
  16. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

17. mikegt4

mikegt4
    from SW Ohio

Here is another place to get wire. They specialize in old tractor restoration wiring so they have cloth covered regular wire as well as ignition wire, even Rajah ends. Go down to "Category" and select what you are looking for. From what I have heard a well respected vendor.
    https://www.brillman.com/

18. Solid wire is good if you are not running electronic ignition. Like Bubba says NAPA is a good place to buy wire and terminals. You can also buy it from your favorite catalog speed shop.

Here is my experience, if I am only doing one car it is normally cheaper to buy a wire kit. Most of the performance wire companies offer wire kits as well as spiral wound and or suppression wires.

19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

SCREW UP PHONE RECEPTION????? Sign me up.....

40StudeDude and sko_ford like this.
  20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"...SCREW UP PHONE RECEPTION????? Sign me up....."
    WooHoo! Imagine all those cell-phone zombies drifting off into the ditch, staring in disbelief as their display changes to an oscilloscope study of your ignition system!
    After three days, your commute to work will be 50% faster and 90% safer...

falcongeorge and sko_ford like this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^ Great one, Bruce! Oh, the incentive...

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Does anyone make an AP for converting a smartphone into an oscilloscope? That might give me a reason to buy one...maybe

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

O/T. but I used to run a Vertex Magneto on one of my "street" bugs back in the late eighties and early nineties along with solid core wires. This was also just as the "boom boom" big stereo crazy was hitting with the mini truck and low rider guys. It was always a blast to roll up next to one of those things at a light while out cruising and suddenly hear their noise go completely flat... And watch the utter horror and dismay as they tried to figure out what was wrong!