Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whatchama callits... whadaya call 'em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terranova, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Terranova

Terranova

Ok, little help here...
    What do you call the little boards that people prop up in front of their cars that tell what engine... blah blah blah. Or is that not a H.A.M.B. friendly idea?

I'd like to see some samples... simply cause I'd like to do one for my car... but with considerably more taste than most others' I've seen.

Thanks,
    T.

2. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

3. poop sheet>>>>.

4. A waist of time...

5. belair

belair

6. restin&rustin

restin&rustin
    from illinois

7. JEPPA

JEPPA

A warning sign that this car is to pretentious.

8. In the OEM/SEMA world we frequently use 'Wheelstands' which are usually steel, stand 3-4 feet tall and utilize a flat plane parallel to the ground at the bottom as a base....You drive the car over the flat plane and that sign ain't going nowhere.

9. roundvalley

roundvalley

A warning that the guy over there with the gold chain around his neck is watching you and wants to talk!

10. Ya know guys, the last few comments to this thread really shows one hell of a lack of respect for tradition. It astounds me when a guy says "I build traditional rods like they did back in the day", then makes comments about a part of the 50's and 60's show scene like "stupid" or "waste of time". The black sign was painted for me by Manuel Reyes in 1961 when I took my roadster to it's first show. You may have heard that name, Manuel flamed the original California Kid for Pete. The white sign was painted for me in 1987 by a guy you might have heard of. Ed Roth. I have 4 more signs like these hanging in my garage, and I'm damned proud of em. Wouldn't hurt to show a little respect for history.

Attached Files:

Turnipseed likes this.
  11. JEPPA

JEPPA

I stand corrected. Those are very cool. I think I've just seen to many long winded, braggy and ugly plaques lately. I will never understand why some have pictures of the same finished project that is parked right behind it.

12. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Yeah ill have to agree with Dean on this one. Look in any little book at the coverage of shows and most the cars had their show card proudly on display. Still today, in the right environment (indoor show perhaps) with the right car, they can tastefully be done without saying "look at my car im a wanker" Its tradition man, heres a sign my friend Ed had for his LaSalle roadster. I guess he made it in the late 50's or early 60's.

[​IMG]

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We call em' Brag Boards. I have a few from my old cars.

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They've been around forever. Some are real works of art, airbrushed, pinstriped, you name it..
    Its the only way the car owner can communicate the details of the car without being there.

15. That one's cool! Almost has an early Roth look.

16. They sure are. The sign Larry Fator did for the restored Mondello-Matsubara Fiat is a gold leaf masterpiece.

17. We have one of these for each car. We take em to shows and put em on an easel in front of the car. Every car has a poop sheet or a story. We keep it brief and to the point but you should see how many people stop and read the entire story. It's just another detail we like to point out>>>>.

18. BadLuck

BadLuck

I think this ones pretty damn cool.....not to mention the car!:)
    [​IMG]

19. Yup, now you're gettin' it.

20. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

They only suck if they're computer printed! Hand painted signs, if done right, have as much soul as a lot of the cars they stand in front of!

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all I got to say is don't put them where they are gonna be in my photo.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

What a waste of time. I thought only "Gold Chainers" used them. Why don't you get some "Cry Babies" while your at it?

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

ONLY good ones are for Historical Race Cars or PRE 1965 built Hot Rods IMO. If they lay FLAT on the ground out of the way of a photopraph or gust of wind that will damage a car next to it that is fine with me. Chainer with the TransAm just like the next one is just gay.

24. I'll second what Dean said...

25. Let me check in on this...I kinda like the signs .It lets me know who/what /where on the parts used,the shops that did the work,etc...ya know just in case I may get an idea or two...found an airbrush artist to do the pinup on my TrackT off of a "waist of time" board..got to see his work ,before I sent the car to him. I also like the picture albums that show the build-up process from start to finish...constructed my frame rotator from a pic in an album...

Just mt $0.02

Stan

26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's see here.....having a traditional "Brag Board", like were used in the 50's & 60's at shows, are "gay" or "suck", but painting a hand on your trunk lid giving everyone the finger (previous post) is "cool" and "free speech" ?

Something's fucked up with that, IMO.........or maybe I'm not intitled to an opinion ???

Dick Stevens likes this.
  27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Communicating with show patrons is hardly a "crybaby doll" thing.
    All top cars, whether they be a hot rod, race car, street rod, lowrider, monster truck, you name it, usually have a sign explaining the details of the car on exhibit.
    I, don't know about some folks, but I had two back in the 60's but no longer have a show sign. I don't enter my car in shows anymore (ugh).
    I, for one, enjoy reading the fine points about a car, exact paint color, engine modifications, rear end and its ratio, or if it's a race car, its great to read what times the car has achieved over the quarter mile.
    I've been attending shows since the mid-50's as a kid with my dad and I still like to read them.
    And, as stated before, some of the signs can be a work of art all by themselves.
    By the way, I'd hardly call the owners of the Ala Kart, Orange Crate, Spirit of America, the Challenger, Stone, Woods and Cook, Ed Roth, (or, well, I don't have all day to list them all), a goldchainer.
    If I were still into showing my car instead of driving it, I'd have a sign too.
    I'd like people to know thats its all steel, stock boxed frame, 1969 Mustang red paint (NOT Guards Red), etc., etc.
    And...I'm about as far from a goldchainers, fanny pack, hawaiian shirt wearing guy as you can get.
    Hey, you don't like 'em, don't read 'em.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
    Dick Stevens likes this.
  28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yup! lots of shitheads here lately it seems!

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indoors when the car is set up, great it is part of having the car in the indoor show. it is also part of the display.
    To put the damned thing in front of your car at a outdoor event that you drive in and park in a line at, Not only no but HELL NO.
    I told my wife right in front of the guy who had one in front of his car at a one that " if I ever put one in front of the truck, shoot me". Got a strange look from the guy with the stock 65 Pontiac hard top behind the sign though.
    Not as desperate as dragging out trophies from past events to display in front of the car but a close second as far as I am concerned.

A discreet sign that is out of the way and or a build book that is again out of the way but accessable are kind of cool though.

And notice one thing about Bad Bob's photos and why we like them so well every time. No show boards visable in front of the cars he photographs.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  30. It seems like a lot of threads have this curve lately.. starts with a valid question.. then a bunch of chuckleheads have to drag it down with their clever opinions.. then someone else has to come along and straighten everything out