Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What wood should I use for my 59 apache bed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rock'n'Roll, Jul 28, 2015.

1. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I think that we have been trying to speak of Tung oil as opposed to Teak oil. Anyho ordinary motor oil is a very serviceable and adequate finish for an outdoor truck bed. Just always finish all sides top and bottom the same.
    How do I know? I've been a cabinet- furniture maker for more than 50 years.

2. I used oak and painted it black....cause Jagger told me to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

belair likes this.
  3. You are correct, I did mean Tung oil. I picked up some at a boat place. They use it on Teak wood.

4. Rock'n'Roll

Rock'n'Roll

Ive been cutting the groove for the metal strip to these specifications http://www.classicheartbeat.com/bed_wood.htm Thanks for the spacing tip! I have been leaning toward using teak oil as a finish, has anybody had any good or bad luck with it?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. Rock'n'Roll

Rock'n'Roll

tung oil I meant

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are going to laugh, but the Model "A" Bed is PVC. It is designed as house trim. It comes white but is extremely paintable. We found it while walking around Lowes looking for wood for the bed. We took a piece home, test painted and really like the finish. Everyone that sees the truck, comments on the bed.
    20140928_171908-1.jpeg
    20150516_151658.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  7. Rock'n'Roll

Rock'n'Roll

Thanks for all the info guys! Those are some beautiful truck beds. I wound up buying 8 pine boards for 60 bucks.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. big57daddy

big57daddy

Make sure you take pictures and post them here so we can see how it turns out!

cheers, Ray

9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I do: Three coats of tung oil cut 50-50 with citrus solvent or mineral spirits (mineral spirits is cheaper). Follow that with four coats of spar varnish cut 50-50 with either citrus solvent or mineral spirits. Sand lightly with 320 between each coat. Use oil-based spar varnish, not water-based. Google "wiping varnish" for more information. If it was a floor instad of a truck bed, I'd recommend Polyurethane. Spar varnish is best for outdoor applications that get a lot of sun--which is why it's used in marine applications; Polyurethane is tougher, but not as UV resistant.

10. Rock'n'Roll

Rock'n'Roll

I figure Ill have the truck bed back on in a week or two. I took the bed off and had the whole rear of the truck sandblasted and painted black along with the bed, there was a communication mix up and the whole inside box got blasted and painted black, oh well I wont be painting over it anytime soon. Its gnarly because I'm on such a limited budget I hope next summer ill be able to take the whole truck apart and sand it down and paint it. The bed will be put together soon though and I'm really excited about that. Driving around without a bed on the truck has been awkward lol