Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the hell is wrong with my car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsleadolds, Oct 21, 2005.

1. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

My car is acting just like it did before I had the tranny gone through. Ive just replaced the torque converter on my car the tranny is suposed to be in great condition. Today after driving it for about 30 minutes when I get to about 40 it started hesatating real bad like it didnt want to go in high gear, and then lost all response in the pedal and it chuged its way into a parking lot. Fluid is fine.
    Im no mechanical genious Im self tought for the most part bought my first car and a shop manual about 5 years ago. Help me narrow down susspects.

2. DrJ

DrJ

The way you described it it sounds like an engine problem.

3. builtbyme

builtbyme

Fuel Filter?
    Fuel Pump?
    Carb? (Accelerator Pump)
    Vacuum leak?
    Those would be where I would look...

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

any gas in the tank?

5. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Yeah theres gas it runs fine out of gear. I'll go check the fuel filter that's a possibility Im running two untill I can get the tank relined. theres some rust issues there.
    Its got an electric fuel pump that is relativley new I can hear that bitch chugging away when I turn it on.

6. I think you have a gas supply problem, the engine needs more gas at speed. So with a plugged filter or whatever restriction, you can idle all day long, but can not go at high speed under load.

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I'm confused, Does the engine quit or do you mean you can't go in gear or it stalls out in gear?

Electric pumps will chug away even with a ripped diaphram. What you want is for it to start up and stop when the bowl's full. You don't want it over pressuring the carb either. Check fuel filters including the one in the inlet to the carb that everyone forgets about.

If it's not shifting right it's usually a vacume problem. Check vacume line to the modulator. Check the rest of the vacume lines while you're at it.

Check the electrical connections to the distributor. Last time I was going down the road and it sputtered to a stop and quit it was a loose connector on the distributor. cleaned it off, plugged it back on and it's been fine ever since.

8. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

it never actualy died it just started hesatating real bad and just chugging along. If that makes sense. In park it seems to run fine even with the pedal down it didnt even sputter.
    That car is a vacume line nightmare Im waiting for a shop manual that should be here any day to redo all of it.
    After sitting in the parking lot on the phone for about 20 minutes and cleaning and checking all the connections to the transmission it drove home fine, but I know it's probably not.

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

sat long enough for the rust to settle out of the filter:D
    my car does the same thing, so i bought a boat tank for 50 bones, eliminating the rust problem.

10. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

You know how pissed Im gonna be if I spent all that money on the tranny and it was just the fuel filters.
    Now I know all the tranny shit is good but still.

11. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

remember, engines are tuned with vacuum and load. performance at idle in park often changes once in gear. If you can eliminate vacuum as the problem, load becomes the factor to consider when diagnosing driveability.

or old shits just broke and rusty.

12. TENSIONER

TENSIONER
    from SEATTLE

Take it back to the tranny shop and tell them it didn't do that before they worked on it, that's what gurls do!

13. Jimv

Jimv

Beleive it or not if your tranny is a over drive type try putting "posi rear end conditioner" in it!! They sometimes call it "whale oil" or "stink" works great for conditioning your tranny.
    JimV

14. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Ok, from your last description it sounds even more like a plugged vacume modulator or no vacume to it. That is if we're talking a turbo 350 type tranny.

15. DrJ

DrJ

Did you know that up until around 1976 ATF really WAS whale oil? :eek:

16. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

That really doesn't tell you much....an engine requires WAY more fuel flow under load than zinging the throttle in Park. So getting good engine performance in park - doesn't tell you that you have enough fuel volume on the freeway. This is the same kind of reason why you can't tune a power valve without DRIVING the car under load - the vacuum signal is affected as much by load as it is by RPM. Replace filters - also does your tank have a Pre-FILTER it too might be plugged. Sticking a hose (temporarily) in a gallon gas can might be one way to see if tanks giving you grief.

17. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I agree. sounds like fuel to me. also a possibility of a problem with the vaccum advance, but that would have probably shown up in first anfd second as well...depending where the shift points are.

18. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

This is 65 Riv with a sp400.

19. I bet it is a fuel delivery problem. The car is getting starved out. Clean those fuel filters first and then see what happens.

I had the same issues with my BSA, would idle all day long, but once I got over 1/4 throttle, it would fall on its ass. Turns out one of the carbs was COMPLETELY packed with desintegrated cork gasket material....

20. squirrel

squirrel

The problem is the tranny, take that one out and send it to me, and put some other tranny in it's place.

(kidding.....)

21. sir

sir

HOWDY...BRUCE HERE..where is your fuel pump located,if it's at the tank THAT"S where it's suppost to be.if it's in the engine bay that's the WRONG place REMEMBER fuel pumps are made to PUSH!!! not PULL!! .....

GOOD LUCK....BRUCE.

22. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I dont want to step on toes here but being an old guy and having managed a trans shop for 15 yrs , I suspect the switch pitch 400 has a problem in the pitch department and has the stall reversed or something in converter bad and causing it to keep the eng for rpming under load or in gear when the converter comes into play, it is not a regular 400 turbo... I'd get back to the trans shop. perhaps the conections you spoke of may have indeed been loose and caused the switch pitch to malfunction good luck................:cool:

23. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I replaced the fuel filters and drove it around and all seems well. I guess I'll find out if that truley was the culprit in a day or two. Guess I better go get that AAA I've been procrastinating about. Reline the tank asap also.
    I put the tranny in so if it was that its probably my fault. It was my first and I was a bit rough.

24. squirrel

squirrel

I've been running a few switch pitches for many years...not much can go wrong with the wiring, it will just act like a normal low stall converter if it's not getting juice to the trans. It is possible there's something wrong with the converter, but it sounds much more likely that it's a fuel problem, since there's a known rusty tank problem.

25. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I hope that was it I can't afford anything else right now.

Thanks everybody.

26. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Check to make sure your brakes aren't dragging...

27. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

by george I think you might have fixed it, go now and have a beer on us.............:cool: