Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What magazines do you read for ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Timbofor, Apr 16, 2015.

1. indyjps

indyjps

I read the HAMB.

I still get hot rod, chevy hi-po, car craft. Those are mostly large advertisements showing installs of the latest "kit" on the market. Decent entertain while I sit on the can.

2. metal man

metal man

I haven't bought a magazine in probably 7 or 8 years. I've been using the H.A.M.B for inspiration for the last ten years, and now Instagram for about a year and a half.
    I am blown away by the amount of traditional hot rod activity on Instagram. Every night, there is a whole new bunch of cool pictures to look at. It got even better when i got my tablet...much larger screen than the iphone. No more magazines piling up in the corner, either.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  3. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

i read the HAMB and also car kulture deluxe and rodz magazine for my ideas

4. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

After the last issue of rod n custom got sent out they substituted "motor trend" to my po box & Now I put them straight in the trash can........ So sad. Last weekend my Pop, son & I took one of my non ham friendly muscle cars to a magazine sponsored show that I've been going to since 1986 & in the last few years I've noticed all these sister publications , Hot Rod, classic trucks, etc. were all there all seem to be leaning to mostly later model pro touring crap. Not that I dislike these magazines entirely , they just need some variety not just the same ol' giant sized torque thrust copy cat rims on a LS powered mega dollar chassis. I've recently let all my subscriptions run out & now spend my reading time here on the ol' HAMB & am very thankful for it. Thanks Ryan! Ohh I did snapped this pic of a sweet orange "T" roadster that caught my eye. Someday I'm gonna built me a tall T sedan , late 50's style. Flux image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  5. jroberts

jroberts

Like a lot of folks that have posted here, I don't ready many car related magazines anymore. They are incredibly expensive and most of the time have very little in them that I am attracted to. I do still get Hot Rod, but will not be renewing my subscrition. I do get and read Turning Wheels, the Studebaker magazine for obvious reasons.

6. fortynut

fortynut

As a medium magazines have outlived their usefulness. Other than a few that have seized on the value of becoming coffee table quality publications, the rest exist not because of reader oriented content but rather because advertisers keep them alive to put their products before those willing to thumb through the jungle of competing advertisements in order to view the few pictures and articles that generally are about using the advertisers products. Those that have ceased publication, that appealed to us, have been reincarnated in the HAMB and The Jalopy Journal, as well as other sites; much of what was appealing in Rod and Custom can be found here, in images and articles, and material generated by enthusiasts willing to write and photograph their builds, illustrated with digital photography that rivals the best once used by these defunct magazines, step by step from inception to the finished ride, in a way heretofore undreamt of in the kind of detail now possible. Car shows and events are covered on the HAMB much more precisely, with images that rival art house photography by people with abilities that are truly astounding. Those who once read car oriented publications now spend a great deal of their time on the internet, freed of the annoyance of having to wade past advertising, looking at what they want without the need to wait on the mailman, seeing more, more frequently than we ever dreamed possible when reading out precious 'Little Pages'. All of it that can now be had with a few keystrokes and movements of the mouse. Magazines? We don't need no stinkin' magazines.

metal man likes this.
  7. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Eloquently executed statement sir & hit the nail on the head. Flux

8. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

fortynut
    I agree 100%. I still have about a thousand magazines from the old days. I'll be 70 this year. Instead of rooting through all those mags., I just go to the H.A.M.B.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

My collection of magazines consists mainly of Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Car Craft and others from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Now the Hamb is a great source of information and I turn to it a lot.

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Seriously, When you can find them the little books (Old R&C, HotRod, CarCraft, Rodding and Restyling, etc.) from the 50s and 60s are usually the same price as a new mag. 5-10$ a piece. I buy every single one I can. My collection is in the hundreds and I pour over them all the time and constantly am inspired by NEW ideas. It's amazing.

When I got hooked on hot rods as a teenager it was right around the time CKDeluxe was coming out. R&C was still pretty much featuring modern builds and TRJ only had cars I could dream of. I really liked CK deluxe at the beginning. Then I found the hamb and found some of my brethren and it completely ruined me in the best way possible.

11. Timbofor

Timbofor

I tell you what, I have leaned more from the HAMB than I ever thought it would. It has given me the confidence, and inspiration to take on some projects I would have never before.
    I look at a magazine and think, "I don't have the skill for that" then I see a build thread and thing "I can do that"
    After all, how do you get skills? By jumping in and doing!!