Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What magazines do you read for ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Timbofor, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Timbofor

Timbofor

Thanks to porknbeaner for encouraging me to start this thread.
    What magazines do you read for inspiration, ideas, tech articles?
    Post what you read and why. On topic or off.

I personally read classic trucks magazine. It has good articles, the writing isn't terrible. Some nice feature rides and useful full tech.

Ready... Set.... POST!!

2. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

3. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

VINTAGE TRUCKS, CLASSIC TRUCKS, ROD AND KULTURE, OLD SKOOL RODZ

4. Timbofor

Timbofor

Picked up my first 'ol school rodZ last night. There's some cool stuff in there. Got me to thinking about finding a pinstriper for some lines on my old truck.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Northwest Rods - I like Pete's writing style.

6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

early Australian rodding magazines, if I see old US ones Ill read them to :) for reasons to keep going I read English classic car mags , those guys have that special rust that eats all, then they get on with it and fix it :)

7. Slopok

Slopok

Rod & Custom til they went under. Now they send me Street Rodder til my subscription runs out. Not gonna renew though, not the same.

8. aaggie

aaggie

I'm 71 years old and have been fooling around with cars and motorcycles since about 10 and I used to read all of the magazines I could get . I even kept up the subscriptions during my Navy years but some time ago I started to realize that every thing that shows up is something I've seen before. The few new things are innovative but mostly just different color or wheels. I do enjoy looking through the Good Guys Gazette every month and go to the two events held in Fort Worth.
    This weekend is going to be busy. The Lone Star Roundup is in Austin and the best swap meet is in New Braunsfels. I will try to go to both if the rain lets up.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Timbofor

Timbofor

I wasn't aware rod and custom went under. My dad reads the rodders journal and street rodder. Not my thing, too much billet, too much smoothing, not enough personality.
    302GMC tell me about this northwest rodder. Never heard of it.

10. Timbofor

Timbofor

I work in the racing industry in the manufacturing end. So we get a weird assortment of magazines here at the shop. One of the neatest is "nitro madness"
    It's mainly about old school gassers, front engine dragsters and good ol' cackle cars.
    It's pretty neat to see how stuff was built back then.

11. OLD hotrod and rod and cutoms.

patmanta and gwhite like this.
  12. Rodders Journal, Roddin' USA, and Hot Rod Deluxe....................................

13. I read HOT ROD, have for 50 years.... STREET RODDER, and when my ROD and CUSTOM quit publishing they sent me MOTOR TREND; not my favorite but it has interesting stuff on what is new. Then my MUSTANGS AND FAST FORDS rolled over into MUSTANG MONTHLY. Sometimes, when I'm near a newsstand I check out some other rags.

14. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Maverick Daddy, they still print that or are you going thru your hoard?:eek:
    And what's to read?:rolleyes:

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  15. 5window

5window

I read TRJ, StreetRodder, Carcraft, Road and Track, Motor Trend (they're only $5), Hemmings-then Archaeology,Nat. Geo, Smithsonian, Sports Illustrated,A couple of local area publications, 3-5 professional journals and then the HAMB OT enough for you?

16. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

None, I never look to magazines for inspiration, I instead use my own imagination, vision and ideas for my cars. I don't like to copy others ideas and styles. I do read Hot Rod Deluxe for the great articles.

17. I got Hot Rod on a special deal less than $1 an issue and I am surprised at how much I like it and have been reading it for 5 years now. TRJ for what seams forever, almost 10 years, I keep saying I will not renew because there are too many 32's but then they drag me back in with some fat fender stuff. When R&C went under I had 4 years left on it and they gave me Motor Trend, hated it and exchanged it for Lowrider which I have a secret love for, don't tell anyone. I read Street Rodder in the late 80's in high school when it was super thick and full of pastel rods with neon heartbeat graphics. I am surprised my fat fender chevy did not turn out peach or orange. I got it a few years ago on one of those less than a dollar deals and frankly I read it in less than an hour, usually only like one thing in it and throw it away, really not my style of car at all, never again.

18. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

19. Timbofor

Timbofor

One of my favorite off topic mags "mental floss" it's a
    Mix of mad magazine and popular science. Great for the thinking man.
    My wife is very I'll and never know when I have to spend a day at the hospital. So I always keep some sort of reading material handy in each car.

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Quit magazines years ago except for the occasional purchase of a Hot Rod Deluxe. Had Street Rodder and Rod and Custom subscriptions for about 10 years until they got so high I could no longer afford them. Still have a bookshelf full of Hot Rod from about 1977 until 1982, Street Rodder from mid 80's until mid 90's, same with R&C. Occasionally I'll drag a few off the shelf and look and wish the prices on the ads were the same today!

21. Print mags...pretty much just TRJ, but am looking forward to Hop Up's release!

Otherwise, I use period pictures... @woodiemike, @Jimmy B, and @KKrod have posted some fantastic photo studies, and @Ryan, @Jive-Bomber, and @J.Ukrop regularly post some blow-your-socks-off features on The Jalopy Journal main page.

Then again, I'm under-impressed with modern "ideas" & tend to 'paint by numbers' with proven & time-honored methods & materials....

117harv and J.Ukrop like this.
  22. Hamb and Facebook. I know they arent magazines, but way better and more ideas.

23. squirrel

squirrel

Old Hot Rod magazines. The new ones don't seem to have any ideas I'm interested in.

24. I quit magazines cold turkey about a year ago because the content wasn't keeping up with the cost. I just subscribed to Hop-up however and am looking forward to that.

I used to love Car Craft back in the day of low-buck builds (that weren't sponsor driven). I think I learned more from that magazine than any other.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Hot Rod and Rod & Custom pre-1958. I've got the world's largest collection of old hot rod magazines, according to my wife.

26. Timbofor

Timbofor

I tried reading car and driver, road and track, and the like.
    Just can't do it.
    Here's a synopsis.
    Here's a car you can't afford and don't want anyway. Here's some complaints about stuff you will never notice.
    "Our test driver was 7"4 300 lbs, the seats didn't go back far enough and the seatbelt was too short" the golf clubs wouldn't fit in the trunk, and the read DVD system lacks full Dolby surround sound"
    Gaack!!!

charleyw and Saxman like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep---I'm with Jim, kinda like watching re-runs of MASH, never get's old.

28. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like Slopok said, I'm counting down the months til the Street Rodder and Hot Rod stop showing up in my mail. I still have most all my Rod and Customs since 1993. Sometimes I'll pull a stack of them out and flip through them.

29. I actually get hot rod magazine. I am not sure why, I sometimes look at what is featured for something that may be useful and always end up building the feature cars in my own head.

Actually I saw an old hooptie in an article about Cuba in National Geographic a while back that I had seen a long time ago and it made me remember thinking when I saw it the first time what a slick paintjob.