Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this Axle from?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Schwanke Engines, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I was grabbing some iron from my racks this morning for a 1950 Fleetline project we are working on and I found this Axle laying there. Does anyone have any clue what it is from?

King pin to Kingpin is - 48"
    Spring Perch to perch is - 39"

From all the info I have found it does not match anything, and does not appear to be a dropped axle of any kind. Axle.jpg

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Those numbers are pretty close to the '37-41 measurements I have in my notebook, measurements that are very quick and dirty. I never intended them to do more than allow me to distinguish one model from another in a pile of junk...
    I have 50 and 38 1/2 there, center to center. The measurements you give don't sound far enough off to be Anglia or such...only Ford model I can think of that was just slightly shrunken was the model 62, don't know its measurements but it would be incredibly rare on this side of the Atlantic. I'd like to see it right by a known '37-41!
    Does it have EE or AA markings in one of the end spaces?

3. Either 37-41 or 42-48.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

2.25" Perch width, I don't see any sort of markings anywhere on it. I just got to thinking it could possibly be a Chevy axle? We have a 26 that is laying back in the grove and a 28 Fully restored, ill have to slide under that tonight and see what that comes out at.

5. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Year Kingpin Perch Perch Height
    1937-41 50 7/8 38 1/2 2 1/4
    1942-48 52 40 5/8 2 1/4

I just don't see how it can be 2-4" narrower and be correct for those years, were there really that much variance in them?

6. alchemy

alchemy

Without even laying a tape measure on it, I say itsa 42-48. Probably not a 48 because they had another hole in them for a tube shock.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

No, not that much variance...but were those measurements made carefully? the ones I use weren't.
    It IS Ford, very definitely not Chevy or other wagon sprung cars.
    One other thing...I know about nothing on '30--39 or whenever they dropped front crossspring Ford BIG truck axles like AA/BB. Easiest check for that would be to drop in a Ford kingpin...the big trucks were substantially bigger there, somewhere around an inch. Fords, .812., Lincoln another possibility for odd size, .937, big truck 1.004

8. clem

clem

Any part numbers?

9. Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Start off with the pin measurement. I think that will be normal Ford 8.12, then it needs to be compared with other axles, as I think there are just some bad numbers floating around here...

11. I just went and measured a 37-41. The measurements are roughly the same as yours. I would question the measurements you are comparing to.

12. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

14. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Yes, I think I have found it to be a 37-41. From further research, it seems to fall into those specs.