Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the best SMOOTH insert for filling a Model A top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 & 61 Fords, Oct 30, 2014.

1. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

My Dad is getting ready to build a 30 Model Tudor. He is building it in a "sort of" traditional way. He wants to fill the "hole" in the roof with a sheet metal insert. then put the stock style fabric over that.
    Is there any good UNRIBBED factory roofs with the proper contours that will work? If not, what have others done?

2. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I did a 4 door top with just a plane sheet of steel. 18 gauge I think. Turned out so good, I didn't even cover it. Did another 4 door with a mid 90s Chrysler mini van with ribs and it fit perfect. Good luck

3. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

Mid 70s ford station wagon.

4. 2 nailbender

2 nailbender
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from iowa

I used a early 70s suburban, worked very fine.

5. Also, Volvo station wagons of all years are smooth and have the same dimensions and crown (almost none) as a Model A sedan roof.

6. I rolled a panel out of19 ga on the English wheel . Done it twice . Used a store bought one once from Beumount , tx . And cost over 200$ and not as nice .

7. hot rust

hot rust

isn't it walden's speed shop that offers a roof panel, heard nothing but good things about them.

8. Gumball

Gumball
    from Vista, CA

I used a mid 60 Dodge Dart roof turned backwards, fit like it was made for it. Make a pattern with door skin and try the junk yards.

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

You can get a roof out of big ole chryslers and caddies from the 60s and 70s. Cut out as much as possible after marking the center front to back, lay it on your car, trim to fit. For the traditional look, leave the 'trough' in the roof and fill it with caulk. The center you just put in can be traditional white or a wrinkle black to look like the vinyl they used.

10. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Why does he want to fill in the top?

11. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

I want to fill mine is as well, it just looks better to me that way

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. I have used a 1980's Ford Granada wagon roof. It looks like it has rib's in it at the wreckers, but they are just chrome strips that are easily removed. Turn the whole thing around backwards from the way it came of the wagon, the front windshield roll lines up perfectly with the rear roof roll at the back of the sedan. I have seen it smoothed out and painted, and covered with stock sytle upholstery material, like I did on mine.

13. Dusty56

Dusty56

I used Buckland, here in England to wheel one up from flat steel. Excellent job. I had it done because at speeds above 85mph or so the vinyl roof would get air under it and look like a boil (as a friend unflatteringly described it) on the car.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its this thing called rain. In Texas we prefer to block out the burning sun. whatthehell is a 56 shoebox?

15. b-bop

b-bop

I did what "Just Gary" said, made a template that I could lay on multiple cars at the wreckers. I used a mid 70'2 Volare roof and turned it around and it fits like a glove

16. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

He's made the template, I thought I'd help him out and just do a thread and see what others found out to give him a head start. It will get covered to look like a stock Model A top, he just wants the rigidness and leakproofing of a filled roof. He's built a bunch of 53-56 F-100's, Tri-5 Chevys, and Mustangs, but it's been quite a while since he did a frame up built on a older car, so he's a little out of his element on this one.
    His plan is to do it as a highboy on a JW Rod Garage 32 chassis. Try as I might, he's sticking to his guns and putting a SB ford in it. I told him to at least put hoodsides on it to hide it then! LOL!
    This is what he's starting with. It's a straight, solid running car. Model-A.jpg

17. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I used the roof off a Corvair van, still have enough for a coupe leftover. It will need some filler work as my metal skills aren't the best. I overlapped mine a 1/4-1/2 inch also