Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

What else have S10 Frames been used under??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orange52, Mar 20, 2006.

1. orange52

orange52 Member

I've got Clarks post on using an S10 frame for the AD swap saved, I've seen late 40's-early 50's ford pickups swapped onto these frames.( I even learned that a 40's Chevy car will fit on a toyota pickup frame better than the S10 frame, God I love the HAMB)

I know anything can fit anything with the right amount of time, patience, skill, and money but I'm curious what cars or trucks seem to be a good fit with these frames. In the Tex Smith book on Hot Rod Chevy's one is used under a 30's full fendered Chevy coupe and I'm sure others have used them. I want to say I've read that the 47-48 Dodge and Plymouth cars are a close match.

What else have you guys seen then used under?
  2. porknbeaner

porknbeaner Member

I know where there is an older vette (pre stingray) sitting on an S-10 chassis. But I don't think it is an everyday swap and I think the chassis took a fair amount of tweaking to get the job done.
  3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That could hardly have been an improvement!
  4. porknbeaner

porknbeaner Member

It wasn't your run of the mill junkyard chassis, and I think there was a body without a chassis and well you know the drill right?
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Squablow

Squablow Member

40-48 Plymouth and Dodge coupes fit on S-10 chassis very nicely. A friend of mine put a '47 Dodge coupe on an S-10 and it fit like a glove

(shameless plug) I've got a really nice '41 Plymouth Business Coupe for sale in the Classifieds if you're looking for a cool body for your S-10 chassis, open to offers

Attached Files:

6. orange52

orange52 Member

I've never been into Vette's that much but didn't the early ones come with A arm front suspension and paralell leaf prings in the rear, like the S10? Not much of an upgrade but it would be cheap to get parts for.

What else would they fit under. What about late 30's Ford or Chevy's?
    Like a 39 two door sedan?

I don't actually have a project in mind, just brain storming.
  7. porknbeaner

porknbeaner Member

Actually I don't know if you've ever had a chance to climb into an older Corvette, but by comparison they were a pig. They handled well for the day, don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say here. The S10 has a more modern suspension and like I said the chassis in question is no where near what GM put under the little trucks to start with.

Anyway the discussion is what have you seen set on an S10 chassis if I recall. Not if its an improvement or not.
  8. Circus Bear

Circus Bear Member

I've got my '50 chevy sitting on one. great swap and tons of aftermarket suspension stuff cheap inluding sway bars, 4 link. it fit perfectly and most cant tell. I also put a BB mopar in it. that took a bit of modifying but fir pretty good too. not clerance issues with steering or exhaust in my case. I'm running Mopar banana's not headers though.
  9. Gauder the goof

Gauder the goof
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The s-10 shares front end components with the more popular A/G-bodies from 78-88, so they can be made to handle quite well. The only thing I don't care for the s-10 chassis is it can be tight to run an exhaust with a V8, I've done quite a few s-10 V8 swaps and it is tight.
  10. Beemer

Beemer Member

My dad used an S10 frontend on his '57. Had to widen it around 4 inches to get it done.
  11. T Hudson

T Hudson Member

I am putting one under a '38 chevy pickup. Just got all of the cab mounts built and tacked in.
  12. stepchild

stepchild Member

ive been told that the s10 blazer 2dr chassis fit well under a 58-60 rambler americans
  13. G V Gordon

G V Gordon Member

Terry Smiths (Twisted Okie) project '46 tudor. S10 chassis and big block power. It was a nice fit. I am guessing any fat fendered body would be a canidate.

Attached Files:

• 46.JPG
      46.JPG
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
    • 462.JPG
      462.JPG
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If that were the case, it would fit the '61-'63 as well, but in fact I think it's the '50-'55 Nash Ramblers you're thinking of, ala the Gary Meadors car. They got a little longer when they came back in '58.

Believe me, I've considered this one as I have an '86 Jimmy sitting behind the barn. It was my first car and I've always wanted to reuse the chassis.

What do you think about a '50 Rambler ragtop with an AMC 327, Jeep 4-speed and green paint with fauxtina'd DNR markings?
  15. hotroder69

hotroder69 Member

My friend has a 35' Ford pick up and a 38' ford pick up on S-10 frames and drive tranes.
  16. stepchild

stepchild Member

yeah Bigcheese327, i know there other nash/rambler based on the same set up as the 58-60 ( i am mostly familiar wth the 58-60, i have 59 american project), the s10 chassis should work well with the othe similar nash/ramblers

as far as the 50 ragtop, i say go for it...would be cool
  17. orange crush

orange crush
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 47 international pickup on an s-10 chassis, It works fine , although the front end is a little narrower then I would like. Carlg
  18. jaybee

jaybee Member

"The s-10 shares front end components with the more popular A/G-bodies from 78-88"

Do they use the same steering box?
  19. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50 Member

I Have A S-10 Front End Under My 50 Shoebox. Seems To Work Out Great. Its Put In Right Under The Firewall
  20. porknbeaner

porknbeaner Member

I like it. Ya already got the body?

Yea all the front end components are pretty much a bolt on. I think the S-10 chassis is narrower so probably the center line and sway bar won't work. but you can get one helluva swaybar from hellwig for about a buck and a quarter
  21. 53sled

53sled Member

pretty close. we used a s10 manual box on a monte ss drag car to eliminate pwr steering.
  22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, that's just daydreaming. I've got other goals that come first. I just don't ever throw things away.

A couple other ideas for S-10 chassis: Corvair gasser (you could even use a 4WD and just ditch the front end stuff in favor of a straight axle) or how about a prewar Willys woodie wagon done ala the Rambler I discussed above?
  23. Flipper

Flipper Member

If you are thinking that a 4x4 already has leaf springs up front, you're wrong. They have an IFS.
  24. Circus Bear

Circus Bear Member

with torsion bars (atleast my 88 s10 blazer did)
  25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not thinking that at all, I've looked under my Jimmy a time or two. I'm just saying you can strip all that stuff off to the bare framerails and weld on spring mounts. The old 2.8L and 4cyl S-10s and S-15s can barely get out of their own way, so they're not exactly hot commodities with the four-wheel drivers. Pick one up cheap and you've got a good set of rails and a decent rear end for your Corvair gasser.
  26. doubledawg

doubledawg Member

I'm building a 56 IHC 1/2ton on an S-10 and the wheelbase was almost perfect but like orange crush said it is on the narrow side, but nothing that you can't make work. Besides my IHC frame was butchered by some animal trying to stuff a small block in it.
  27. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't the S-10 have the steering box setting out in front and won't that show on these pickups? At least the S-10 that I looked at did. Neal
  28. 1gearhead

1gearhead
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Am just finishing putting a '57 Chev pickup on an '87 S10 Chassis. Hadto stretch the frame about 9" and had to purchase special headers to put the SBC in, but is worke out very well. Am pleased with the result. Try it you'll like it.
  29. willowbilly3

willowbilly3 Member

I have seen some really ugly roadsters on ebay that used an S-10 chassis. Always end up with the radiator about a foot out in front of the tires for some reason. They do make a darn nice frame for an early 50s pickup tho.
  30. Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver Member

Anyone know if the swb trucks have the weld together seam so you can shorten the wheelbase, I may need to squeeze one down to 102".