Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What do I do about this banjo rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Aug 27, 2015.

1. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Have this 36 banjo 4:11 rear with about 22,000 miles on it and love the look of the bones. Have the complete rear ,torque tube through bones and zero rust any where. I mean this rear is pristine...the gear oil had the look of honey! Planned to use it on my AV8 build but really hesitant to cut the bones for the spring on top application. Too late in the build to go to rear spring mount. Thinking maybe swapping the 36 for another suitable rear or do I cut this sucker up? Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. go ahead...cut,weld , grind and repeat as necessary

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There is a HAMB source for a model A spring perch that bolts onto the brake plate holes on any '28-48 banjo, which would allow this to be used without trimming the late perches.

bct and patmanta like this.
  4. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Yes I know I ordered a set last week.

5. House of Fab makes the mounts

6. I'd cut, weld, grind, repeat also. They're not super rare, mechanical brakes..if it were a Columbia two speed I might think twice. Btw, I also have a pristine '36 rear from Texas I got in a trade, exact same shape, so I know they can't be that rare...

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The cutting involves the wishbones, and '35 wishbones are commonly for sale on here...cut some crustier ones

8. I have a worn out axle, want to trade?:rolleyes:

9. 117harv

117harv

Critique these rearend hangers

They certainly yours to do with as you please, but how about selling them and doing something like in the thread I linked...just a thought.

10. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Move the cross member back and use an A spring on it.

11. 117Harv, those are a work of fabrication art, but they're still spring behind design. I think what the OP is wanting to do is a Model A spring on top perch. I kinda agree with Bruce, those bones are pretty clean to hack off the spring perch mount. The OP could do a bolt on perch to make it a spring on top design, and run no spring on the wishbone hangers, unless there's a clearance issue with frame/body, I don't see why you couldn't do it that way. Then you'll be able to run the wishbone without any major mods. Dunno, then fabricate a shock link where the original perches are on the bones..Here's a pic of the spring on top bolt on hangers from House of Fab: house of fab rear A spring hangers.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  12. 117harv

117harv

Yes, I was referring to making something similar that would mount to the 35-36 brackets sans spring mounts. Tubes as shown or extended front bones...just a thought.

13. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

I spent time yesterday removing the old paint on the 36 housing and getting some paint on it. The housing is in remarkable condition with absolutely no rust or pitting. Received the House of Fab spring mounts also. Still mulling over what to do about the bones. Have another set from a later rear that bolt to the backing plates so maybe the factory brackets on the axle tubes become shock mounts? Must be me but I really hate to hack up pristine parts!

14. bct

bct

Tube shock mounts is what my first thought was. Seen lots cut down too and they still look nice as the web inside the mount forms a nice shape

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a dilemma that I'm glad I don't have to deal with on mine.
    Anyone have the link for House of Fab for the brackets? Google sent me to some silly assed fan club page. And yes I'll hunt though the Hamb o dex as soon as I post this.

16. I found the pic when I did a search in the classifieds. All I did was look for a search under "member posts" and House of Fab showed up under "bolt on spring perches". I initially mental cataloged it when I first saw them a couple of years ago..

17. They don't have a website. The owner is Dave Havlir, the full name is "Havlir House of Fabrication" out of Ashland, VA.