Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

The 2014 Meltdown Drags was a huge success, to say the very least. Over 500 race cars from more than 40 different states (and Canada!) participated in the three day drag meet. It looked and felt like it was 1966 all over again. The car show and swap meet were packed full and thousands of spectators arrived from all over the U.S. and many needed to use their passports to get here!

Fall is in the air, meaning (for most of us) more time gets spent in the garage...maybe to get that project back on track, or to make the car look even more period correct. Or, better yet, to step up the performance a notch or three. Several promised to bring their car to race it for the first time in 2015...others are building cars so they can race too.

Meltdown Drags 6 will be July 17th-19th, 2015, with that being said:

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO GET READY FOR THE 2015 MELTDOWN DRAGS?

We want to hear about it...post pictures,

Want to call out someone for a match race...this is the place to do it

Who is going to bring a bigger gun to the North vs South shootout?

Here are some of the rumors I have heard so far....

The "Sour Grape" got a nose job and is sitting a little higher in the front

Powrshftr is busy porting heads to take a second off his time

InlawModelA may have gotten an artificial lung

Falfa's Nightmare has started his arm exercises

Ric Panneton has been taking racing lessons from his brother Marc

We will post the "official details" for the 2015 Meltdown at the start of the New Year...until then, consider this the 2015 Meltdown Drags Thread!

2. squirrel

squirrel

I'm trying to figure out how I can get there....

3. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Squirrel-

We had lots of guys from CA, AZ, OR, etc....plan for it and you can do it.

4. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Building a tribute car to the Tokyo Rose Jr. Stocker. Hope to have it finished for the York reunion
    and hit the Meltdown on the way home......fingers crossed.
    tokeng1.jpg

5. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

That car ran at Cecil county right?

6. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Most likely. The original was from the east coast and still exists. We are going to to an early version of the Rose colored car.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like I will be bringing a 62 Bel Air 409 car along for some fun and hope to heat up the charger for some more tire smoking fun.

8. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Hopefully our 66 Fairlane FE car and our 64 Fairlane 400 stroker will be there.

loudbang likes this.
  9. powrshftr

powrshftr

The list is getting out of hand!:

-swap transmissions for one that shifts!

-swap shifters

-rear gears

-have a better driveshaft made

-buy aftermarket axles (not sure how many 6200rpm launches the stockers have got left in em!)

-build new housing that centers the pinion better

-cut shock towers for header clearance

-cut inner fender aprons for header clearance

-install 4-point roll bar (not legal for anything,but it looks cool)

-finish unfucking the perfectly good heads I over-ported.Oops.

-finish motor refresh.

-Holman/Moody LeMans cam

-new intake

-new carbs

-new hood to clear new intake and carbs

-relocate battery to the trunk

-install larger front brake rotors

-learn to drive

Scott :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Spoggie and beebee78 like this.
  10. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got some safety stuff on the way to install, 8pt cage and an engine diaper. Going to tnt Friday hopefully all works like it should and I need all this stuff LOL.
    The engine diaper is to run with the Nostalgia Gasser group for next year if all works out. Plus really everyone should have one , for your own safety and what the downtime for cleanup cost an event like this.

mrspeedyt likes this.
  11. Everything Scott listed X2 (minus the carb stuff ) piece of cake.

39dodge_9_30_2014.jpg

loudbang, enloe and 30dodgeboy like this.
  12. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I'm too lazy to research where this is held....I might consider attending or maybe even bring my 41 Cadillac...

13. squirrel

squirrel

byron Illinois

14. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

thanks...i might consider coming... it would be a great excuse to drive old 66.

15. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Start saving and convince my wife that I NEED to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Ouch!!! LMAO!!! He's never gonna let me drive again!

30dodgeboy likes this.
  17. Saxxon

Saxxon

Scout:
    Tear out the current fuel system and replace it with bigger, better, more volume (More money)
    Bigger rad so I can cruise to Sam's and not have to be towed all over the track
    Water / meth injection
    Try to get closer to that 10.50 index

Prefect:
    Sort out the transmission problem
    Shake it down so it has a bigger entertainment factor

People and Car count:
    Current list of folks saying they are coming from Winnipeg is over 20 and growing. Number of cars could be 5 or 6. Just trying to do my part to spread the word and bring in folks who "get it"

53 Willys Wagon - Target - Meltdown 7, 2016
    427 BBC pump gas / hydrolic roller cam - has been started
    Need to pull it in and strip it down - I want the chassis done this year. Dana 60 w Ladder bars, Speedway straight axle

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    30dodgeboy likes this.
  18. We are mothballing the Fiat from racing and we bought the Hairy Hauler 41 Willys truck. We made our first passes in it a few weeks back. Pretty Hairy! We made 5 passes all around 11.8 at 108ish. This truck has history and I hope to trace it back farther. We look forward to running at the Meltdown 2015!

Attached Files:

Swamp Rat 4, beebee78 and enloe like this.
  19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Paul,
    That truck is 100 kinds of BADASS!!!!
    Congratulations!

Scott

20. nice score paul.

21. Touche'
    Touche' Pokme Joker, I see where this is going.
    Jeffrey Koopendoopen is gonna get rid if his Huggy Bear floor mats, and freeway gears to put the 57 in the 11's where it belongs while Scott rocks himself to sleep at night repeating "I'm the king of Windsor Castle". Then Porky Torker is gonna put his big boy pants on, and exchange his candy bitch automatic for a 4 speed so he can get back to the 12's and help the North send another trophy south, when he gets spanked by Casandra Hicks golf cart. Joel is gonna put a 57 Chevy nose on his 56 to complete the Trifecta, while building another trophy for the South to claim. Instead of getting rid of his poly urethane Pro Touring ladder bar bushings, and doing a little chassis tweaking on his unique Witchy Woman 31 Chevy bad ass, & replacing his Barney Rubble slicks with some wrinkle walls to make it straighten up and fly right, Kip rolled the super nanny, and swiped her A40 Austin for a hole new build , so he can see how Yesterdays Child looks through the wind shield of an import car. Eric is perfecting his shifting, by singing "Michael row your boat ashore" & "Row, row, row your boat, gently by the stream" to himself twice daily. He also is working on his one second sandbag strategy like he used on Jeff, because everyone is a winner. Paul has parked his Fiat, to play with his Hairy Bauler, & Salty is bringing a 409 Impala, that can't outrun his Walmart Speed Equipment 383 Barger. Time for bed, see ya'll tomorrow

Spoggie, beebee78, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  22. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Wow...

beebee78 likes this.
  23. powrshftr

powrshftr

I know,right...?:D

That's the reply I've been waiting for...!:) lol!

Scott

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Going to be a long 10 months.
    Ric you crack me up man.

25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The Austin project is at a stand still for now...it's more project than just one winter(even a long Wisconsin winter). I still have not made up my mind on a drivetrain for it either. If I run my my BBC it would have to weigh 3030lbs if I run a 388 it can weigh 2328lbs, and the BBC is a pump gas motor not a dedicated race part, and neither is the trans. So to make a long story short...I don't know what I'm bringing next year, but you will know as soon as I do.
    Ps...I'm still looking for a rematch against Ric...not Marc cuz he drives faster:D

55belairx2, powrshftr and beebee78 like this.
  26. I woke up this morning to find out that one of the bad voices was burning the keyboard last night and may have said some hurtful things. Truth is all those mentioned above, are kindred spirits, and I'd help any of em anyway I could, heck I think might like Dog Patch too, but he hangs out with a bunch of Sock F er's which freaks me out a little, so he's in quarantine for now.
    True story about Marc. When I was driving the Spectra 66 Chevelle (a mid 10 second runner at the time), we had gone to LACR to test, and I convinced my boss to let Marc make a pass. Now the car owner had already tried his hand & nearly pissed himself while making a lame 13 second pass. I gave Marc some quick instruction & warned him the car was gonna move hard in low gear, so be ready. He hit the loud pedal, crapped his pants with eyes big as trash can lids, immediately shifted to third (by passing 2nd), and made another lame 13 second shut off pass. My poor brother had lived with that shame for 24 years, until July 19th 2014, when he made probably the first 10 second pass ever for The Child, rowing a 4 speed no less, and no one was prouder of him than me, so anytime we need a tenth of ET, I'll hand Marc the helmet. :)

55belairx2 likes this.
  27. Kip, make it 2200lbs. use my 600Hp 365" W motor recipe and run low 9's, or make it 1900-2000 lbs. and buy my 550hp 306" small block. ;)

beebee78 and II FUNNY like this.
  28. Damn its really nice that you think you 'might' like me. :rolleyes: Club rules don't allow sock sharing outside club lines. :p

But in any case can you help a brother out? For 2015 the SEG requires this added tool for the Meltdown Drags. Its not clear to me which one will allow your smile to show up more clearly - this one -
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/3-Panel-Racing-Wide-Angle-Rear-View-Mirror-20-Inches-Wide,2303.html

Or this one :
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Convex-Wide-Angle-Rear-View-Mirror,82519.html