Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I have been planning this car for more than thirty years. Life, kids, and a small business got in the way but I have finally realised that I am not going to live forever so I have been collecting parts for the last few months. I dusted off my 32 chassis that I have been storing for almost twenty years and I am ready to start the build.

I live in the UK so parts are not as easy to get here as they are in the USA. I have looked around and if I were to buy any of the 26/27 roadster bodies I have seen I would have almost as much work to restore the thing as it would be for me to make a new one- so that I what I am going to do.

I have built or had a hand in building a good few hot rods over the years, I have built chassis and bodies for my friends and I have restored a few Ford original bodies for hot rods too but my main line of business is coachbuilding (metalshaping) for vintage and classic cars.

I intend to document the build of this car on here and I have set myself a deadline of one year from now to get it done. I want it finished in time for my youngest daughters prom. I will post updates on a regular basis so I expect to be motivated by embarrassment if I don't progress.

David

Shadow Creek and Sergeant82d like this.
  2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Cool. I always loved the 27 body but they are so small. Sold mine cause I am 6'2". Hope you're short!:D

3. Im looking forward to watching this come together. Im a big fan of 27 bodies on 32 chassis. Its a look that seems to have been forgotten.

4. anteek

anteek

Keep us posted with PICS!

SOHC427 likes this.

5. fleet-master

fleet-master

oooohh!! this is gona be goooood!!! you do nice work for sure and I love Ts on 32 rails..in fact I just love Ts!! :D:D I too have patterns for a 27 roadster and started makin a buck but ain't done with it ( family ,bills, other projects...:eek:)
    lookin forward to watchin your progress..PB

subscribed

6. I checked the links in your signature. No question that you can do it.

I have always liked the look. But they are really very small and uncomfortable for most folks.

Since you are going to be building it from scratch you might want to consider some subtle up scaling to make it more comfortable.

7. Goody!! Look forward to seeing what you come up with David!

8. oj

oj

'27's are special. How are you going to do it, as a 'highboy' style or will the body sit down over the frame?

9. kisam

kisam

I am always impressed by what you do! Can't wait to see this build!

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys! I intend to do it as a hiboy but I want it to sit reasonably low.
    I started this car twenty years ago but ended up selling all the parts I had collected because I could not see me ever having the time and money to finish it.

Recently I started collecting parts again and I bought a flathead, model A front axle and wishbones, 48 rear axle and torque tube. I had wheels and a gearbox (trans) lined up along with some other stuff. Then the oportunity came up to buy a complete Donor car.

Here is what I bought...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/lowrusty1-1.297564/full

[​IMG]

I am intending to use as much of this car as possible. This will cut down on the work and the searching for parts.

Despite appearances most of the parts have been rebuilt and are in good order. the flathead has had a lot of work done to it it's an 8ba block with a 3,3/4 crank bored to 3,3/8 fully Ported and polished large valves isky Springs high volume oil pump one off Flywheel revs to 6500. Toploader three Speed 'box which has been rebuilt .

The car has done the quarter in the 13s.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I always knew there must be some advantage to not being very tall. I am 5'9" so I dont think I will have too many problems fitting in the 'T'

David

12. Bring it on, I wanna see the build.

Charlie

13. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I kinda like the looks of your parts car,wanta see your build

14. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Yes I like the donor car and in a way its a shame but its not what I want and the look of it scares me as far as attracting the wrong type of attention from the cops.
    Davey the guy who built and owned it drove it for a few years and never got pulled!.
    It has deteriorated since that photo was taken. nothing will be wasted and anything I don't use will be passed on. Here is a link to the car being driven...

David

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    phelan9251 likes this.
  15. I am 5'9" also and fit in Ts fine. One trick is to lose the 45 degree toeboard. Lots more room to be had.

29EHV8 likes this.
  16. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

A friend of mine stored his 27 body in my workshop for a while many years ago and in exchange I got to take patterns and bucks from the body. I don't have all the info I need but although my friend died recently his widow still has his car and I can have access to it when I need info. I have also been gathering photos of 26/7 T bodies wherever I can find them so I have plenty of references.

I would like to use an original firewall but I have been unable to fing one yet. I can make one but its a fair amount of work without an original right here to copy and they dont rot like the rest of the car and don't fetch much money when they come up. If I don't find one I will have to make it.

David

Shadow Creek likes this.
  17. oj

oj

What is it, Dodge?...Chevy?

18. My T is next in line to be built. I am going to need you to document the construction of the bun panels very well because mine are shot! This will be fun to watch. There is a '27 on '32 rails around these parts that I have listed after for years. I will see if I can find a picture of it.

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I would like to take you up on your offer please. Its the scuttle are I dont have much info on.

You coming to the club meal Sunday?

David

20. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Not sure I think its a 32 Ford truck scuttle. Well maybe not but some kind of Ford truck.

David

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  21. oj

oj

Scuttle? Whats' that? Do they need more than one?

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Ha ha! Sorry I slipped into English - A scuttle is the English term for Cowl.
    We have lots of different names for stuff, I try to use the American terms on here.

A few examples in case I slip again..,

Wing= fender
    Scuttle= cowl
    Swage= bead
    Bulkhead= firewall

David

23. fleet-master

fleet-master

pretty sure over here the bulkhead is a term used for the assy made up of the cowl (top),a pair of scuttles (sides),and the firewall...have you heard of the panel called the 'chime' panel? :D

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

In boats, the "chine" is the break between bottom and sides. A hard chine is a boat with a sharp, definate transition point, as our Chris Craft runabout, and a soft chine is a rounded,gradual transitionas in a lapstrake planked boat, like a Viking ship.

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

A Boner, Tim, Lil'Alb and 3 others like this.
  26. Paul Y

Paul Y

Well... I have subscribed!

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

P.

27. Daughter's birthday tomorrow so I won't be at the club run Dave - best drop me a line and we'll sort out something...

28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Tim likes this.
  29. bent metal

bent metal

subscribed.....

Will you make a body buck? Details on the planning, please.