Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Westergard style '38 cabriolet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 29, 2007.

1. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Never was a fan of the standards and shepard hook grills until this. Car is Classy and "Sinister" at the same time. I would not change anything. I do agree that those cars were well worth the price of admission.

2. gonzo

gonzo

I went to the Auto Museum in Reno recently, because I was in town and there was a "Hot Rod" show going on. The Hot Rod show consisted of five cars all 32-34 Fords done in the fat back tire, skinny front, fllamed with small block style that everyone has seen a zillion times before. They were roped off and had impecable lighting and every part on each one had been bought from a catalog. Then I walked outside and saw the car below. If it looks familiar its because this is the same Westergard car that was at Pebble beach and was featured in Rodders Journal recently. It was parked next to an 82 Porshe and was covered in dust and literally had two teenagers leaning up against it. History will determine the true Greats and until then you'll be left alone to do your own thing in peace. Be thankful.

Attached Files:

3. cole

cole

OZ thanks , the gold olds of johnny D is a great car! and deserves any award given. awards at GNRS = I didnt open anything but the pass door and still won its class(earl custom coupe) I wasnt going for a win really, I was more talking about goodguys show and paso. loved seeing your merc done after seeing it when we all were baby boys. keep the great stuff comming.

4. Where I grew up there was a Westergaurd style,'39 Ford with the running boards removed. Always loved that car,but couldn't understand why the guy took the boards off,even at ten yrs old. Maybe some of you SoCal guys remember the car. He lived in Bellflower.

5. Rikster

Rikster

6. Undeniably bad ass.

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Dude... haha... I can just picture this little moment in time... Thats the truth right there... You guys have CLASS. Thank you.

Tuck

8. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Great stuff Cole...keep 'em coming:)
    I 'll never look at another '38 the same again... awesome stuff!

I'd love to come visit your shop someday, your only an hour away from San Jose.
    best wishes,
    CAB

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I saw Kent's bike first and fell in love with that. Then I saw the '38 and was blown away.
    Here's my pics of the best customs at the show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Kent's bike. The man has excellent taste!

[​IMG]

10. ironworks

ironworks

I don't know if this is off topic but we are waist deep in a 38 built by the guy who built pirates of the caribean at disneyland way back when. It has a packard grille, zephyr rear fenders, packard front fender caps, a 1965 365 horse 327 with 6 carbs. It is pretty bitchen car. We are starting to build the duvall windshield for it. I can post more pics if there is interest. These are the renderings that we have.

Rodger

Attached Files:

11. ironworks

ironworks

I have one pic of this car, but it is too big and I don't know how to make it smaller. If I could email it to somebody, They could post it for the world to see.

12. Bookz

Bookz

Well heres my 1st post. Am AS nervous as on my first date. Hope I do better here....crashed and burned with the other.

Realise that this is a week old thread but this car is what finally pushed me to sign up.

First i would like to comment on the visual appearance of thisstunning Custom. Taste is a very personal thing and we all view things differantly but I feel that this piece of art has lost something since getting the white top. to me the color contrast tends to grab my attention so dramatically that it overshadows some of the beautiful detail. When I look at the Black/Black photos my eyes flow from the beautiful curves of the Grill along through that lovely low roofline to the manificent curves of the trunk line and the rear guards and skirts. All seem to come together as one. Change the chrome wheels for the current black rims and cap and then it captures all the classic elegance of the masterpieces from the early days. Just my thoughts anyway.

Re Coles post _____ Don't let them get to you. On e needs to remember there are Customs built by artisans such as yourself descended initially from the great desiners and builders of the Coachbuilt Cars of the 20's and 30's through the early Masters such as Westergard etc whose work showed that everychange has been agonised over and is intended to make the whole visually complete and as perfect as possible and the there are Kustoms. To me Kustoms are the Show Cars ( Side Show?) where change is often for changes sake and often intended to visually shock. These are all about winning trophies and appealing to the lowest common denominater.

What will be remembered and admired in 50 years..... the "Tangerine Fagsleds" or true classics such as this 38 and tthe piece of art that is the 36 Coupe? The answer is fairly obvious.

13. So absolutely perfect that it hurts. Beautiful.

14. Ask and ye shall receive... eventually. :)

[​IMG]

Bit of a shitty Photochop, but you kinda get the drift.

Got any updates on the Sloper, Tony?

15. rodncustom

rodncustom

Any update on this project?

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I still think and dream about this '38....

17. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Yep, me too. lately I've been looking at both those for inspiration.....LOVE those fog lamps on that 38.

18. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

I think about this a lot. hahaha spooky bad guy cars...that's awesome....but that is exactly what customs should be.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Those skirts John....

20. belzebub

belzebub

that is perfection in my eyes,,what a ride,

21. 60'coupe

60'coupe

I ran into this beauty last weekend in Morro Bay. ENJOY AGAIN !
    60'

[​IMG]

22. vertible59

vertible59

I will say this about that...I will always be thankful that Jack Walker cloned the Hirohata Merc. His painstaking labor of love allowed many folks, like me, to see, and examine the car up close.:)

23. Got to get to work on my '39!!!

24. rodncustom

rodncustom

I love this car! It looks like it keeps good company as well.

25. Cole you have no idea how the cars you build affect people. When you were in Scottsdale goodguys show with the 36 it was mind blowing. I spent over an hour looking at the car on saturday and then again on sunday when I got to meet you and was able to ask you some questions, you were more than willing to answer and were easy too talk too. Becuase of that day I hunted down a 35-36 coupe and I have now started too build one based on your build, Timebomb John's and the 38 you did some tweaking on. Thank you for being the builder that you are not compromising on anything. Here is where I am at.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300942

You are exactly right. why do you think I am building what I am.

26. This a VERY nice car but for this to be called a Westerguard style , it needs to be raised up and really raised up in the front. Why are most people these days paying less attention to stance?????????

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not necessarily... I had a good conversation with Dick B. (Harry's boss) about this not too long ago... Harry did quite often get the nose down as evidenced by the last two '40 verts he did.

As for this '38, it's one of the loves of my life. I have a deep passion for it...

28. I dont blame you for your passion for this car, it is beautiful, I would just love to see it with that front shoved up in the air.

29. metalman

metalman

Not to be picky (the car is killer!) but the only thing I would change is the top. Looking at this side profile a smooth true "Carson" top without the bows showing would just make it flow.
    IMG_2163-vi.jpg

30. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

That 38 makes me crazy, I love that thing except for one thing. Every time I see it, im reminded of the one my friend has that he is totally fucking up.
    If I spelled out the build plan here no one would even believe it.