Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Went to Ct. and got me a daily driver! My '51 Merc project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Car will drive nice, once I have the car back I'll swap on some B-Body sway bars and take vids of me driving 80mph on I90 weaving in and out of traffic. :)

I think I heard "free parts" uttered. FWIW I'm very interested in stock side window stainless if you have some sets to part with for $.

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Maybe I should take a road trip after I get a passport ! I am considering a chopped full kustom sedan delivery project...if I can find some usable roof pieces from something.A friend has a late 50's International panel (kinda like a suburban) that he said I could take the roof off if I want it so I gotta go look at it and see if it might be usable.

3. Smokey2

Smokey2

I HATE TO BEE THA" ONE, To Tell YOU!
    But, That's NOT a MERC!!! IT appears to Bee A "Kaiser!" SORRY!
    BUT I still THINK!, IT'll Make A "NICE CUSTOM"

I deafinutly GO ALONG WITH THA' CHOP!!...........Keep US Posted! Smile!

Smoke' in tha' GREAT SMOKEY MTS.
    "A shot of TEQUILA, and I FIRED RIGHT UP!"

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Any updates on this ol dog? It looks like I am going to get the rusty twin to this ol girl soon afterall ...I got some non winter pics of it and have somewhat gotten over the crushed roof thing on my 4 door !

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Ha! Hey! I don't have much time to hop on here anymore, was relegated to iphones and ipads when my Mac went down awhile back, just screwed together a powerbook last week so I am back on the forum-ing. I actually just cleared the wasps out of this, it's been such a backburner project, I have had zero time to get to it, but I am REALLY hoping if I can move out on some other projects and sneak some time in to get the inner rockers and body permanently mounted so I can move it closer to the garage before winter. This way at least it has a shot of getting some work done to it. It's a total pile, and huge project yadi yadi, but theres an engine, trans, driveshaft, brakes, already in it, so how big can the project really be? We shall see.

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Good ! I have been waiting for an update !:D I havent been able to scrape up the lousy $500 to pick up that basket case coupe I want (need lol!)

7. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

snows on the front all the way
    [​IMG]

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Well, late last week after unexpectadly taking custody of another Merc project (turning a Baby Lincoln 4 door into a Merc 2 door) I decided to sell this. Posted it up, got a PM or two, and KoolKemp PMd me asking about the other car. Made me go back and revisit this thread and read it, and I got nostalgic lol.

So...went out Sunday and made some inner rockers, got them all welded in, a and b pillars redone and hooked up the steering and shifting to the stock column tonight. Game on...

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Woo hoo thats the spirit :cool: It should be yard driveable before ya know it ! Lets see some pics of the ex-Lincoln :D

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Ha, it's just a pile of junk right now but here are some pics nonetheless (at the bottom)

Here's a few pics of the 51 Merc. This is kind of neat. I decided after the rockers were in to take a look into the steering. I knew I wanted the stock steering column but knew it would also be a huge pain in the ballz. Oddly enough, it was pretty straight forward. The Merc steering shaft actually slid right inside this little steering tube thingy. Did some cleaning and marking, cutting, and welding, and you get the drift. Now, I just needed a bearing for inside the cut down Merc steering column, which was no problem as it's 6 pm and dark out in a driveway haha. Luckily, I was able to take the Olds bearing, flip it around, cut some pieces off, blah blah, and lightly pounded it right into the Merc unit. Bolted everything in and viola, violins too...it worked! She steers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is getting itself welded to the Olds floor. Surprisingly, the doors open and close now! I probably have another day or two of patching and welding in the front and trunk till it's done. The passenger side wheelwell fell off (rot), so I have to put one of those in haha.

[​IMG]

Here are some pics of the Lincoln. All I have done thusfar is strip the carcass. I got the front cut off and lined up a '68 Chevelle subframe under it. I did some measuring, and although the track width is perfect, it's going to be a battle to get it fitting right. So...I am thinking of putting the car on a stock chassis with an SBC. The reason for all this mess is a Lincoln is a 122" wheelbase, while the Merc is 4" shorter. Lot of work to be medium pimpin'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wheel wells are over rated anyways lol! I really like the steering column set up ,something I want to do with mine if I ever get started on it..never could scrape up the cash to get that rotten coupe this summer, I will try in the spring if he still has it...its about a 5 hr drive 1 way, I am sure if it were closer I would have come up with some way to have it home by now:( Try a g body front clip for the Linc, thats what FlamedAbone used on his , I think I have found a usable complete G body chassis for my piece of crap ...it only has about half the orig frame left haha !Keep up the great work and the great pics!

12. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Make damn sure that the bottom of the cowl (rust) area gets squeezed back to the correct dimension. Mine was that russsty and I missed that. Makes the door fender hood and cowl gaps look odd.

13. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Good point, I love your Merc. I bet it rides like a million bucks, I am hoping to find out soon! I am thinking since I have the inner rockers in and the A pillars welded, but the floor patching between a pillars not yet done I might loosely hang the front sheetmetal and hood, make sure I haven't missed something big....set up the rad support mount and weld all that mess, then when it's all good weld in the floor patches.

14. glassguy

glassguy

medium pimpin!!!! hahahaha man you kustum kweers sure are willing to do alot of work to piece together one of those ugly mercs!!!! how bout some pics of that full pimp wagon in the yard!!!

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Ha! Dave, the wagon is going, auction ending tomorrow morning. Good riddance to that thing.

Plugging away on this thing when time allows. Starting to look more like a car but man unless you move the drivetrain back about 4" I dont know how folks are doing this without having the radiator bolted to the front bumper.

[​IMG]

Here are the Ford wheel lips that will hopefully conceal my inner goldchainer.

[​IMG]

Front fender is a lil droopy but it'll get there when I get more bolts in it. Damned if I was going out to a retailer on Black Friday for 6 bolts haha.

[​IMG]

Here is the 50 wheel I chucked on after I accidently destroyed the 51 wheel pulling it off. Go me, and Chinese steering wheel puller. The trans shifter and wheel are hooked up to the Olds guts, so thereby cloaking my mulletness.

[​IMG]

That's all for now. It's going to be a beat down getting the rest of the front sheetmetal on with a radiator in, but I think I should before the rest of the cowl is welded together, thanks BlakMerk! Sage advice!

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

I often wondered about the engine placement with this swap is there room there for a full sized rad?...hey I bought a nicely rotton 49 sedan last weekend ! Cant get it home till the spring though, but the 2 sedans will give me enough junk to hopefully build a coupe from !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  17. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I have no idea how to mount a radiator in here. SOS!

18. LOL .. Mines a Lincoln so I have an extra 4 inches there to fit a radiator. :D

19. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

Chris, since you have to mate the merc firewall to the late model floor pan then why not slide the motor back. Granted you will have to shorten the drive shaft. Use some S10 V8 conversion mounts as they will move it back or you may have enough room on the crossmember to just slide her back. I didnt notice but you could go electric fan too for more clearance. I am probably not telling you anything you dont know but keep up the good work.
    T

20. toadyoty

toadyoty
    from Warm Beach

Dude......Can I have the stainless?

21. Mine runs a swap frame, mid to late 70's GM we believe. PM me if you want any pics or measurements.

Edit: I have less than 3 inches between my radiator and my waterpump and balancer. I'm running a slightly offset 2 & 5/8 electric fan. A regular mechanical was in there and fit fwiw.

My buddy thinks mine has a 4 cylinder pinto rad:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Tristan, I never even saw those S10 mounts! Wow, thanks a bunch man, that might be a solution. I doubt my lazy ass will move the motor if I can get it unlocked, but if I have to yank it, I am going to remount the whole shebang about 4" back. Yeah, the fkng motor is locked up now. I suck at life.

John, damn that is TIGHT! Looks familiar to mine, it's got all the room in the world, everywhere from the tail lights all the way up to the water pump, and the last 18" every piece of available car is fighting to get into the same space at the same time. I will take you up on that for sure if need be, I appreciate the offer. This is unknown territory for me.

23. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Very interresting . Please keep us informed , i'm considering a chassis swap for my pos ( not merc :D)

24. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Been plugging along on this when I have had time, but time has been pretty rare. My wife's work schedule lightens up a ton in the next two weeks for the rest of the summer, so maybe some evenings I can be a little more Mr. Car and not Mr. Mom. It's SO close to being ready to be driven around the yard.

So...here's all what's been happen was.

I almost bought a '72 Cutlass 4 door parts car with a relatively hi comp motor (compared to my 3a head motor that locked up). Someone beat me to it. Then, soon after discovering this motor was locked, I looked on craigslist, and the guy who bought it, had started stripping it but relisted it for sale! I called him and headed out that evening.

So, needless to say, my Merc now has the '72 Olds 350 drivetrain in it, and while doing it, I moved everything back the needed 4". Everything fits SO much nicer. Got the driveshaft cut and in. Just have to do a few odds and ends and she's ready to run. Albeit ungodly loud, so soon after she spins around the yard my plan is plumb and bleed the brakes, and trailer it to the exhaust shop.

I got a '56 Mercury radiator and radiator support to graft in. It's going to be off centered due to the steering box, but it's a big tank, and should do the job nicely.

I got the trunk done, and welded in a crossmember to act as a bodymount brace between Olds frame rails.

Also, the passenger side inner wheelwell rotted so bad I pulled it out with my bare hand. So, made a new wheel well. Nothing too fancy but just time consuming. Now I have to weld in some patches from the Olds to the Merc. But it's mounted and in there and the car feels pretty sturdy as is.

Also, I had a rotted 50 quarter, but this 50 quarter was way way nicer than the 51 quarter. So, I spliced in a "less" rotted and more straight quarter. Also got some '53 headlight assys.

Enough yipping...here are a few pics.

[​IMG]

Starting to look like a car!

[​IMG]

And here it is with the '53 Mercs just screwed in.

[​IMG]

25. El Bombero

El Bombero

That thing is looking good. We should start a support group here for those of us raising kids and trying to find time to build cars. Keep plugging away.

Mike

26. Roger53

Roger53

Been a sittin here this mornin when I should be in the shop . Imho you're makin the best kind of save. More then likely this car would've been made into chinese crap at some point but your saving it. GOOD ON YOU!

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow its really looking like a car now!! You have been making some great progress!!

28. jfrolka

jfrolka

Hell ya!!!! Are you using any of the parts from that stinkin lincoln?

29. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Jordan, that thing was parted and when it went to the crusher it weighed around 700 lbs, that's how little was left unused! I wanted to do something with it but while in my yard something lightly hit it and a bondo chunk the size of Texas came off, revealing, after some probing, two completely riveted/brazed and warped quarters. Both upper and lower were trashed. Everything I pulled is sold, and I don't have any extra frames at the moment but if I do come up with one I'll text you.

30. Wow, you got that coming together nicely! Good job!