Register now to get rid of these ads!

History welding equipment from the past

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnsont963, May 29, 2012.

1. mendoza727

mendoza727

Totally!

Attached Files:

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

This is my semi home made welder.
    It was completely burned up when I got it.
    Late 40's or early 50's Westinghouse 200 amp AC/DC.
    I had to rewind the transformer, load inductor and the fan motor. The original selenium rectifier stack was toast so I built a bridge rectifier from war surplus diodes.
    I added a Sears high frequency unit on the back along with a home made solid state
    brain box to control the post flow gas valve and start stop switch on the torch.
    I have 2 other welders now so I leave this one setup for magnesium and aluminum all the time.

Attached Files:

3. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

Hey Sweats,thanks for posting the picture of some of my "junk". The welder is a Mid-State,1940 is stamped on the data plate.The smaller red box directly on top is marked,"The Missing Link",HaHa! On the very top of that box is an antique battery charger, "Rectigon" made by Westinghouse Electric. Only available in San-Fransisco,:rolleyes:. I'm hoping Sweats will post some more pictures on here.I would do it myself if i wasn't such a computer idiot.Thanks for the comments guys.Oh,late model steering wheel? It's a 1960 Olds,haha.

Thanks again Sweats.

4. TRIK3R

TRIK3R

I had one of the first heliarc converters that went piggyback to an ac/dc welder, it was called the missing link, my cousin may still have it, i will see if i can get a pic of it, those Miller machines can weld a gum wrapper together,best machine going A Synchrowave wouldnt hold a candle to it, best jump on that one in Craigslist!

5. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

I don't know that you would consider it vintage, but here's a pic of my Millermatic 35. I traded a guy some Lowe's gift cards for it. I have had it for a while now and haven't even had a chance to used it.

Attached Files:

6. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

This it what I learned on....Trindl model 80a...anyone know anything about them ?

Attached Files:

7. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

1970 Miller Mig. I replaced the contactor and liner. Works like a champ! ​

[​IMG]

8. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

That reminds me of that "magical" welding machine you see advertised in 1950s Hot Rod magazines.

9. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Damn! these like the ones i grew up using,I'll have snap some shot of mine.

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Used to have a Westinghouse Flexarc welder, 6cylinder Chrysler powered, kept ouside the shop all year. Sometimes it was the only thing that would start. always had to push the brushes down into the copper part, (commutator?) to get it to work, but was a great machine. The guy I sold it to still has it, and just think it was used to make Liberty ships!

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Not sure if we are thinking of the same type of "dial", immediately prior to plastic the dial was some kind of aluminum or maybe zinc casting.

Another difference, the older machines had copper windings. In the late '60s or early '70s that changed to aluminum.

The same basic case was used for variants with more and less power, or with DC output.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  12. So you made already know this, but if you ever get to Denver, The Forney Museum of Transportation is worth a visit. Paid for with profits from all those welders going back to WWII days.

13. Here's my Trindl model 16 125 amp job. Just had it given to me yesterday by a buddy who bought a house from an estate. The 6 car garage/shop was full of tools and old equiptment. He gave me this old "dinasour" of a welder. I also got a full cabinet of old welding rod...will dry it in the oven tomorrow after the missus goees to work...can't wait to see how it works!

Attached Files:

14. I think my dad has one like that !!!!

15. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

here is my old old lincoln r:D. Best stick welder Iv ever used

Attached Files:

16. kennkat

kennkat

Lincoln "torpedo" welder, Great DC Power...

Attached Files:

17. LarryWannamaker

LarryWannamaker
    from Canada

Hey that's my welder in my barn! No really that's my trail70 in the right rear and my air compressor left rear. Glad someone else could use my pictures to relive their younger days!

Sorry for waking an old thread!

18. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Or "Fire-Plug", those are great!! Pssst, are you running your's on single phase?? How's the weather your way?? Mike.

19. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

your thoughts...?

Attached Files:

20. Flattie59

Flattie59
    from Ashland OH

Lincoln hub cap from old gas drives trailers. I work in the welding supply industry and we acquired independents in Ohio. We found two of these caps in a wooden box in the basement of the Burton French company in Mansfield, OH. My former boss has them and I have been trying to get them for 6 years.

21. gus gustafson

gus gustafson

Little 50s Marquette 100amp stick box . little sucker weighs 75# ,all copper, so quiet u cant tell its on. Little attachment on handle is a Sears option("Thermal Arc") for tig. For welding a/c with Argon. Tig'd up lots of racing Cro-Mo go-karts as a teen ,not exactly dimes on edge but they held.
    thk/u. gus.

Attached Files:

caseywheels likes this.
  22. stimpy

stimpy

a shipyard I worked at got 6 of these from a shipyard in toledo that went under back in 1990 , all the units worked , can't kill them , still get calls from the owner of the company to do tune ups on them every summer , I have 3 carbs sitting on shelf at his place rebuilt for the new Gas . all thats been done to the units is stellite exhaust valves and seats and oil changes and minor work . whats weird is the newer units ( 60's up to 1990's ) look exactly the same except they use a Ford inlines .

my buzz boxes are a lincoln hip roof ( the brick) that came from my grandparents farm , and a O/T Miller sychrowave tig unit .

23. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

1928 Belgium AC transformer.
    [​IMG]
    Now Restored
    [​IMG]

24. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

I could really use a set of these Lincoln caps if any has some.I have a couple old Lincoln welders I am restoring.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. I use my 1946 SA200 Lincoln gas welder, and have a sears home and shop buzz box that will only run 6013. My big one is at my brothers, it is a SAE400 Lincoln, what a sweetheart welding machine. the smoothest arc I ever welded with.

Lee

26. Interesting thread brought back, I have a Lincoln 'hip roof' or 'tombstone' from early '70's, it is copper wound.
    Back in the early '60's a buddy made a welder out of an aircraft generator powered with a Chevy' 6, seemed to work fine.

27. aametalmaster

aametalmaster
    from Salem Ohio

Here is my dads 1965 Westinghouse Westing Arc 200 amp CV power source and Westing Arc Spool gun. Still works and didn't have the heart to scrap it...Bob

Attached Files:

28. cruser64

cruser64
    from Boulder

Attached Files:

29. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

DSC003022.jpg I saw this one while travelling in Korea. It actually worked! When I first saw it a guy was welding a backhoe bucket.

30. tofords

tofords

I bought this old acetylene tank in Silver Plume,Co. last week on my way to the hot rod hill climb. I was told it was from Georgetown, Co. mine from late 1800's any info? Frank

Attached Files: