Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Great picture!!!
    When I grow up I want to be like this.

loudbang, powrshftr and Gammz like this.
  2. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

3. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

So I need to pull my transmission and install my Lakewood scatter shield. Sounds like it's gonna be a pain in the ass getting it centered. Any tricks y'all know of to make it easier??

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

20160607_185857 (1).jpg
    Get a dial indicator with a magnet base set it on the flywheel with the plunger against the hole and have someone turn the crank as you watch the dial.

5. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

Yes, it will be a SBC and if we get it done in time that would be a fun race! Looking forward to it!

pnevells and loudbang like this.
  6. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

2-8-7.jpg
    I was playing with one of those ( dial indicators ) tonight.;)

7. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Will do. They need to make a centering tool. Fits pilot bearing fits hole , done.

powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  8. pnevells

pnevells

You know as you get older you need to find dial indicators with bigger dials....lol
    paul cam install.jpg

9. Skai High

Skai High

I wound up with lucky number 13 for the Meltdown. I've been working the suspension and going to try these balljoint spacers. I'll be looking to match race some fairly slow cars unless I decide to change out the tired 348. I've asked the original owner of this car to meet me at Byron. If Fred shows up, can he make a pass or are we restricted to the driver that signs up with the car?

Attached Files:

10. dialing in a bell housing isn't too hard. as i take my measurements i write the on the back of the bell. that way i can see the direction it needs to move. i chose a offset dowel then repeat the procedure. having the numbers written down makes it easy to keep track. if you are making changes and it doesn't seem to be working out the bolt holes may need to be enlarged. the bell will not move much with the stock holes. after its all dialed in i put a few tack welds on the dowels. that way it can go on and off without having to go through all of the work again.

rocketsled59, powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I was checking your car out at the route 66 show, I live in Springfield too I work at the Williard Ice building there on Madison and see the old Chevies out there occasionally. I was sleeping literally this year I went from #8 & 9 last year to #255 & 256 this year, anyways I dig the hell out of that '60.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

What do you consider to be a slow car? My 55 has been running in the mid to low 14's, if that would be a good match.

Are you going to the meet at Havana in the first week of June?

loudbang likes this.
  13. Skai High

Skai High

The fastest time for this car from the early 60s was a 13.98 so it may still be right in there. I'm not far from Havana so I will try to make it there in June. I'll watch for you there.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Skai High

Skai High

Seriously! Stop in the shop on your break or at lunch or anytime.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  15. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

This was posted on the Hunnert Heads up page on facebook though I would share it with the Meltdowners who are not on FB.
    Speaking for myself I'd like to thank the Chrome Czars for their years of efforts putting on both drag races and car shows, these guys have done a lot for the traditional scene in this area and they deserve accolades for their years of supporting and promoting hot rodding.

....................................................................................................................................................

After 8 great years, we have decided not to continue the Hunnert Car Heads Up.
    We would sincerely like to thank the Meltdown Association, Great Lakes Dragaway and Byron Dragway for all of their combined help and contributions to our 2 lane cause over the years.
    We have made a lot of great new friends over the last eight years and anticipate those friendships growing at many of the other events in our area.
    Why you ask? Growing families, changing priorities and life in general... have made it clear that we need to refocus our efforts as people, fathers, husbands, friends, business owners, club mates and gear heads .
    Please help us to continue to support the Great Lakes Dragaway First 20 Years show in June and the Meltdown Drags on July 14th-16th along with all the other great shows throughout our short season.
    Thank you,
    Chrome Czars
    chrome czars.jpg

16. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I was wondering if the crew that does the swap meet had ever thought of starting a thread like this or on Facebook so people could buy or sell items to bring to the meltdowns? I have a shopping list it would be nice to fill

powrshftr and Gammz like this.
  17. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

18. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Gammz likes this.
  19. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

62Furious, Gammz and saltflats like this.
  21. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think that boat anchor is gonna make that wee Ranchero jump pretty good.
    I think that Dude behind the wheel is going to be increasing his win rate against faster cars with lots of holeshots too.
    That car's going to be one to watch this year.:)

Scott

Gammz, loudbang, DubG and 1 other person like this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I sure hope it's not a boat anchor...that would make me feel bad:(

loudbang likes this.
  23. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think there's a certain Missouri-based Willys pickup that's gonna be a heartbreaker this year,too.

Come to think of it,Salty has raised the bar,the Scroaty Poker is faster this year,Norb is adding some heat to the Tickey Boo,and quite a few other cars too.

It's gonna be a hell of a year!:)

Scott

62Furious likes this.
  24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

loudbang likes this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jackson you will be okay as long as you don't pick any fights with your neighbor.

loudbang and DubG like this.
  26. ...our club would like to thank the Chrome Czars for bringin the traditional hot rod shows to our neck of the woods;...it's because of them that the Scrap Drive is going on 11 years this year. Job well done.!

powrshftr, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  27. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

When July rolls around,you'll be wishing it was still on jack stands,there Bub....;)

The Hokey Choker is gonna be chasin,not racin...;)

Scott

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I was a bit disappointed to find when I was doing this with my TKO600 bellhousing and was wondering how much it changed after I removed it and then re installed it just as it was before(using the same dowels). I then rechecked only to find out the run out had changed a bit (up to .004 one time). Spec on the TKO600 run out is .005 and it would move enough to make it out of spec by fair amount. After messing with it a few more times I said screw it and put it together knowing it was only somewhere near the .005 ballpark that was over 20,000 miles ago with no problems. The Muncies and most other older transmissions can get away with a lot more run out than the TKO's can as i undertand. So its not as critical I guess on the older transmissions. This was the first time I had used a Tremec TKO.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  30. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

saltflats, Gammz and loudbang like this.