Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said...

Zettle Bros. and Dog_Patch like this.
  2. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Saxx, hey! X was inspiration for the original paint job my old man sprayed on my 57. The paint has definitely seen better days.
    I am actually planning on painting the firewall when we do the engine swap and I've been kicking around the idea of changing the color but I just don't know if I can...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Saxxon like this.
  3. Saxxon

Saxxon

Keep it Project X Yellow ...
    While you're at it, keep the blacked out steels... It's almost a clone of the Project X car back when they were experimenting with the Hilborn sbc and then transplanted a 427 L88

loudbang and jnt1957 like this.
  4. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

loudbang likes this.
  5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

we should be ready to run! mine is on a 98" wheelbase and has no rear suspension (and piecrusts) motor is a 12:1 283 trans is a tsr glide with no brake the rear has an open 3.55 chuck in it...we may not be able to keep up with you (yet) but will put on a great show trying!

6. loudbang

loudbang

I'm about 99% sure I read a story online that Project X was being PUT BACK in the original style all the street machine "Stuff" was shitcanned. Probably read about it on the HAMB then there was a link to the story and video. try a search of the HAMB

Torkwrench and jnt1957 like this.
  7. pnevells

pnevells

Ours is a little more stoudt, 408" 15 to 1 , Crower injected on alcohol. vertex mag I put a small cam in it to calm it down, Homemade glide no brake , Fleamarket TCI converter, 4:56 strange spool and axles, S&W ladder bar suspension, it will still be fun to line up with another cool altered. here is a Fiat We run against at Beaver Springs,he runs 9.20s we usually rurn 9.60s with an ocasional dip into the 50s

beaver july 20141.jpg

Finn Jensen and Gammz like this.
  8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Resized_20170204_181956.jpeg
    Stage 1 - DRAGNASTY - Round 2 :p
    Valves and Springs installed this afternoon...
    Brodix 219cc 294s, Manley SS Severe Duty Valves, Howard Pacaloy Mechanical Roller Springs.

BigDrag, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. i vote for keeping the jets out of the melt down. save them for the groves first 20 years. throw in some school bus and combine burning, wet t shirt contests, snow mobile races on the grass between the track and return road this would all be era correct. wheel standers had their own class there so run a few rounds of them. don't forget the always popular bennie the bomb and kite cycle. this would all be considered normal in the house that bob built.

BigDrag, Dog_Patch, 62Furious and 5 others like this.
  10. powrshftr

powrshftr

I admit,adding a trailer hitch to my car are into the budget a bit,but towing something heavy was the only way I could make the car accelerate like a Chevy.;)

Now I have the feeling that you and that 409 car are going to make me eat my words....

Scott

Dog_Patch, Tickety Boo and saltflats like this.
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Whoa,whoa,whoa.....!!!
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here Norb. That seems like a pretty complicated procedure you're into there.I would advise you to just stop right now,and put everything back together exactly the way it came apart.You know,so nothing gets misplaced or anything.There must be a lot of parts in side there.....Sure looks complicated.....And I have the feeling some of your NEW parts are gonna make MY life a little more COMPLICATED at the Meltdown this year!lol!
    I'd also like to that Mr Benedict Arnold Panneton for supplying Norb and his already fast car with some you-know-what-ier you-know-whats to make the "327" haul a whole bunch more you-know-what....!lol!

Looking forward to hanging out,destroying some BratBurgers,and having one heck of a time at the Meltdown with you my Friend!:)

I just want to remind everyone to not be a stranger,stop by the pits if you get a chance,and say hi to Dad and me.We'll be easy to find:We'll be the guys rushing to get our broke-ass junk ready to hit the track....lol!:)

Scott

12. AFX1964

AFX1964
    from Illinois

''This will be the first time I have attended the Meltdown drags. Are there any host hotels or any other places recommend that are close to the track?

13. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

We stayed at the paddle wheel inn. It's about 10 mins from the track.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  14. Saxxon

Saxxon

Book the hotel now... and nothing really defined as "close". It seems that Meltdown Central is at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Rockford. 15 - 20 min trip. We are at the La Quinta with the Canadian invasion crew across the street from the Fairfield. If all you want is a bed and hot shower - and not too particular - we stayed at the Rockford Hotel for the first 2 years. $50 / nite for 2 queen beds. We stopped using it when the wives started to come with us. I guess the human shaped chalk outlines in the lobby had them a little concerned.

Rochelle Illinois - 15 min away - seems to be popular. There is a Super 8, Holiday inn etc. - but Rochelle fills fast

55belairx2, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  15. cs39ford

cs39ford

Yeah Rockford is a pretty rough place sometimes I live close and stay out of there if all possible!! Chalk outlines are common !!

loudbang likes this.
  16. PJ1

PJ1

I agree, Rockford can be kind of sketchy. We stay at the Holiday Inn in Rochelle...clean, free breakfast, pleasant view of corn fields as well. Some fellow racers stay there too and usually there is a group outside at night enjoying some refreshing beverages while bench racing with their hot rods. Stop at nearby WallyMart for ice, drinks, and snacks in the morning then its a nice 20 minute country drive to the track.
    This our favorite event of the year. The Meltdown Crew are good folk.

55belairx2, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

There are a couple of places in Oregon.....The Paddle Wheel and Patchwork Inn. Also a bed and breakfast.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=oregon il hotels motels&tbs=ls:-1,lf_hd:-1,lf_maxhp:-1,lf_maxhpitems:75-100-125-175,lf_maxhpcur:USD,lf_msr:-1,lf_ha:-1,lf_haitems:7,lf_pqs:EAE,lf:1,lf_ui:6&hotel_dates=2017-02-19,2017-02-20&rflfq=1&rlha=1&rlla=0&rllag=42026564,-89339981,842&tbm=lcl&rldimm=17605666391103432010&rlfi=hd:2017-02-19,2017-02-20;si:17605666391103432010;mv:!1m3!1d48341.34259934169!2d-89.3397028!3d42.033445100000016!3m2!1i952!2i783!4f13.1

For anyone who wants to camp, there is Lowden State Park. It's named after former Gov. Frank O. Lowden........One of the few Illinois Governors that wasn't a crook. LOL. It's on River Road, just a few miles south of the track.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/r1/lowdensp.htm

Exactly Right! Seems like there's at least one shooting a week now. Not as bad as Chicago, but it's not good.

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  18. cs39ford

cs39ford

Yes that state park is a great place to camp and just down from track a few miles

55belairx2 and loudbang like this.
  19. Saxxon

Saxxon

If you are camping / RV'g and just need the space (No hook ups) Byron Dragway was offering open green space for that

20. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been to every Meltdown since the first, and I have always camped at the track -- even though I live only 30 minutes from the track. I think each evening with hot-rod buddies is a great part of the Meltdown experience.

21. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

We camped at lowden state park the first 2 years it was nice. Stayed at a hotel in Rockford last year it was OK, left my car at the track thought it would be safer. I believe we have a room at the paddle wheel this year and part of us may camp at the track

loudbang likes this.
  22. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Ill be staying at the Truck Topper Inn again in the back of my chevy. I hope the track can rent some showers or upgrade current situation. The track needs more than 1 shower for all the people staying at the track.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    loudbang, powrshftr, Gammz and 2 others like this.
  23. just a heads up. the tenth annual race and performance expo is coming up. dates are feb 25th and 26th. held in schaumbrg il. go to raceperformanceexpo.com several hamb members attend. its a trade show with a swap meet. lots of good hard core parts are available. i never miss this show.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  24. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I'm new to the meltdown thing. But I wonder if we got a go fund me page up that we could get donations to fund showers. I remember at the drivers meetings last year the cost for renting showers was really crazy money.

62Furious and loudbang like this.
  25. 62Furious

62Furious

My first couple of years I threw a tent in the back seat and drove my car, now I tow my car with my van. This is low budget Hot Rodin. As for the shower I have only had 1 or 2 people in front of me, but I have seen longer lines.

powrshftr, Gammz and saltflats like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You would think that a bunch of crafty guys that show up one would make a portable shower...I have.

Gammz, loudbang, powrshftr and 2 others like this.
  27. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

I'm not crafty so I just bought one of these Zodi portable propane fired portable hot showers, used it in Canada on remote fishing trips it works well on the "gravy"....there is a also a big river across from the track for you traditional types.
    zodi shower.jpg

28. cs39ford

cs39ford

Trust me. You will be a little smelly if you go the river route!!

loudbang likes this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am sure that I could bring mine if someone want to use it. It is a private shower.
    We have an apartment rented in down town Byron.
    I think Big Drag was saying traditional... not to say the cleanest.

Gammz and loudbang like this.
  30. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

2017-02-07 19.11.06.jpg
    Photo credit to John Corrao. John gets some great photos and videos with great sound! Thanks for capturing as much of the Meltdown as you do John and for sharing it all!