Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Hey Norb! The you know what's, are in the you know which, heading to you know where, for you know who.;) Please don't give the Child a Tickety Boo Boo this year, ok!

2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

3. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Looking good Gammz!

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  4. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Yeah Rocky! Excited to have you back in Byron and smoking the hides!

5. pnevells

pnevells

We never went to the beach with the Shaker, I recently saw a video on FB of another altered that hit the sand at Meltdown last year, not us, this will be our first year

loudbang likes this.
  6. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Hey guys...wanted to share something here that sneaked out on Facebook this week. The Meltdown Drags is put on by a group of people called the Meltdown Drags Association (MDA). There is only one Meltdown Drags (which will always be in July each year), but the MDA will be putting on another "Fall Out" on September 29th & 30th at Rock Falls Raceway in Eau Claire, WI. It will be a closed track and expect to have about 150 cars or so participate.

We also are participating at "The First 20 Year Reunion" at Union Grove Dragway in Union Grove, WI on June 2-4. We are not putting on this event, but we are organizing about 100 Meltdown compliant cars to participate in the event.

We have a lot of other tracks asking for us to come...so maybe we will have more in the future...

More info to come on the these other events, but I can't stress enough that these don't change the Meltdown...these are just other chances for people to go race, have fun, build friendships, etc.

7. is pre registration required for rock falls? if so im in for another fall out. for those that did not make it last year you missed a fun time. any chance of bringing back the bbq guy?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm in for Rock Falls !!
    Had way too much fun last year - even with the supercharger spending more time on the picnic table than on the engine.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  9. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

Count me in for both other shows!!

stupesnova likes this.
  10. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Brian - we will continue to have some sort of registration process so we can make sure the cars meet criteria and get an approximate headcount.

For those who don't know we thanked the racers last year in Rock Falls by providing a bbq dinner....it was awesome and we plan to do it again in 2017. Just our way of saying Thank you for coming out, restoring this cool old iron, putting on a good show and having fun.

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  11. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Jay helped me "Freshen it up a little today"

1st shower in 8 years. (Not Me the motor) :rolleyes: Jay bathing short block.jpg

12. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Anyone seen or heard from Scott lately?

15178094_1329558597063965_2866246776270599869_n.jpg

saltflats likes this.
  13. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I like how the Ford guy will throw all his money at a Ford to make it run as fast as a stock Chevy.

cs39ford and Tickety Boo like this.
  15. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

571.jpg 572.jpg 571.jpg 572.jpg How about a big block/tunnel ram two four swap in a 57 Chevy? It's always great to have a deadline right? Can't wait!

16. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Nice looking 57!

You can do it man...you have over 5 months to get it done.

Last year I know of quite a few people (including myself) whose cars were not even running as of July 4th...some people even trailered their cars without them running to the event to not miss it!

17. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Thanks man! We'll make it one way or the other. Last year was my first time. I was only a spectator but we are hooked! It's an incredible event and a great 9 hour road trip!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Hey I never claimed we are very bright.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rocketsled59, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  19. I sent an email to the Meltdown association, but never received a response. I also haven't followed this thread too closely, so forgive me if I missed something. Anybody have any thoughts on the Green Mamba jet car? Doug Rose runs this authentic beast around the "roundy round" track in Elko Minnesota every summer. I've seen him twice, and it is like nothing I've ever witnessed. Last year, the flames coming out of the gorgeous Anglia exhaust were amazing. But, the Mamba, in my opinion, would light up the night beyond words. Seeing it run straight, at the Meltdown, damn.......
    image.jpeg

Dog_Patch, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  20. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I still think Fords rule! don't care what the General Misc. guys say! But I have to admit the Pro street 1967 red Camaro { a very rare car!} I built with a 427, Manual valve turbo 400 and 488 gears back in the early 90's was a lot fun!! Still have the motor, Sits on a stand next to my 55 Chevy. Should really put that together some day. Got to finish the Merc first, the 428 is ready for that too! Keep having fun guys . See you in July!! :D Larry

21. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

My memories of the Green Mamba are like this.
    broadway+bob+jet+car.jpg

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's a hard one to top there!!!

23. When I was a kid I watched the Doug Rose and Green Mamba race at Great lakes dragway many times. He wasn't to competitive with the modern jet cars, but put on a hell of a show.
    I heard Doug quit drag racing when the NHRA outlawed the Mamba for having a mild steel chassis. I don't know if he can even make an exhibition pass at this point. If that's the case that is disappointing.

Chucky and loudbang like this.
  24. The green momba is cool no doubt. I have seen it a few times. The problem with the green momba I see is its not really correct for the Meltdown. He was almost killed in 1966 in a different jet car so the green momba would have been after that. All the pictures I have seen of it it had the wrong wheels on it I would bet the car was built in early 70's possibly late 60's. The Meltdown is looking for the 1966 and older look and I don't think the green momba quite has that look.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chucky and loudbang like this.
  25. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The late great Broadway Bob. Man I miss him! Those where the days my friends!!!

BigDrag and loudbang like this.
  26. pnevells

pnevells

Love the Altered, We must get a race with your Altered, keep us posted on your progress ,it looks very similar in concept to ours

Pass 2-1.jpg

loudbang, Gammz and Dog_Patch like this.
  27. Saxxon

Saxxon

Looks like the 2nd coming of Project-X - and I fully appreciate what that means !!

I grew up following the Project-X builds in the 70's If that yellow shoe box was on the cover - I had to buy it. Unfortunately the Hot Rod executive decided to pro-tour that iconic machine with billet and 17's. I understand the point of Project-X was to stay with the current trends and it was in dire need of a new frame and structural repair - but holy cow they screwed it up !! It kills me to see it under a tarp in the back ground of the Road Kill episodes. Someone put the blown BBC from the Crusher Camaro in it and drive it on Power Tour and Drag Week.

Can't wait to see Project-X2 at Meltdown

loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  28. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Stop posting Pictures of your altered's. I'll end up building one and needing a place to live once the ol lady kicks me out!!! Man I want one of them so damn bad. Got any leads on projects???

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch and powrshftr like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

IMG_1063.JPG
    Todd's Rod's has this for sale.

Dog_Patch, Gammz and fast30coupe like this.
  30. Saxxon

Saxxon

Jet cars at Meltdown would be cool, so would old school wheel-standers, a real nitro powered cackle fest and any other assortment of 60's oddities... but I would be concerned about the "Show" taking over the event.

What got the Meltdown Drags to the pinnacle of Vintage Racing events were / are the extraordinary efforts made by the MDA and Byron Dragway as well as the "Core Racers" embracing the concept. As the event got bigger so did the opportunities to take advantage of "booked in" attractions which - of course - cut into the racing time. The fact that many of these "booked in" attractions are offering to show up without their usual appearance fee is a huge statement for the event, and makes it very hard to say No.

The complaint I hear most often in the lanes has been the long waits and fewer opportunities to make passes, especially during the marquee times such as Saturday night. Having said this - I totally believe the MDA is aware of these concerns and are taking the correct steps to keep the "Core Racers" happy. 72 hours to sell out the pre-registration is a pretty good indication that filling the event is not the concern. I also believe the MDA looks long and hard at each opportunity and weighs the value of each against the event as a whole. As for Saturday night - many racers were very content to pass on the long wait in the lanes in favor of the SAM's Drive-in cruise, actually watching the show or socializing with others over an adult beverage.

I guess the point of all of this is a caution from a long time participant about adding too many side show attractions that takes up track time or prevents the "Core Racers" from making passes.

Oh Yah... Post Script...
    Jets cars are very entertaining but they trash the track. You have to throw in 20 - 30 minutes to re-prep after they are done. That's why most tracks run them before a meal break, after time trials, and at the end of the event. But I'll let the veteran track managers at Byron worry about that. I would also imagine you would need the staging lanes empty behind them before they blow dust and debris.