Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here's a cool vintage photo of an Auburn Speedster

Attached Files:

• ent2.jpg
      ent2.jpg
      File size:
      72.8 KB
      Views:
  2. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

A little of this, a little of that..........

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      37.7 KB
      Views:
  3. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Vintage Crosley picture with the girls.

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
  4. zaktoo

zaktoo

5. swi66

swi66

While on the subject of Crosleys
    Ran into this one at the AACA meet in Canandaigua this past weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested..........here is a link to all the pictures I took there.
    Nothing truly extinct, but some rare, and some not so rare cars.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/577890757PJHDBZ

6. swi66

swi66

Here is one interesting vehicle, I don't think it has been mentioned here yet.
    a Thrift-T
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To the best of the owner's knowledge, the car you are looking at is the last surviving example. Actual Thrif-T production numbers have thus far eluded Zalutko, though it is known that the three-wheeler was designed by the Tri-Wheel Corp of Oxford, North Carolina, and manufactured by the Tri-Wheel Motor Corp., in Springfield, Massachusetts. Production of these cars and their variants lasted from 1948 until 1955. Thrift-Ts were produced in two standard colors, Hawaiian Gray and Lockhaven Green. Other colors, like the bright yellow finish on our feature car, were available at additional cost.
    The interior of the Thrift-T is as bare-bones as its name implies: a bench seat and a floor mat for the driver and passenger but no door panels, kick panels or sound insulation of any kind. Controls and gauges are minimal, too, consisting of a steering wheel, a stick shift and a small array of gauges.
    The Thrif-T is powered by a 62.5-cu.in., horizontally opposed, 10hp Onan engine, coupled to a Crosley transmission and axle, which rolls the little car's 4.50 x 12 tires to a top speed of 40 mph.
    Zalutko says the car's most unusual feature is that you can separate the Thrif-T's steel body from its chassis and powertrain in less than 30 minutes, as the drivetrain rests in a cradle under the body and is connected with a trailer-ball and hitch setup.
    This article originally appeared in the OCTOBER 1, 2007 issue of Hemmings Motor News.

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Jim, I am really glad you brought this pic up for view and discussion! I'd wondered about a lot of things here, including the car, of course. Surprisingly to me, the Birmingham left more of a footprint in its brief time than the Sheridan we discussed the other day! SO, we can get a better feel for what kind of cars they were.

For one thing, they appear to have been conceived as assembled cars, rather than ground-up jobs, and the officers designed in some unusual features as consumer attention-getters. For one, the Birminghams were built by the Birmingham No-Axle Motor Corp. of Jamestown. No axle? Wiki explains that in very general terms as "a type of swing-axle suspension." I'm in the dark here, folks. LOL

Short-lived Birmingham offered two series and three body styles, all riding on a 124-inch wheelbase and using a 224-CID Continental L-head six generating 55 bhp and 25 rated hp. I suppose for 1921, these would be considered mid-price cars, ranging from $2,900 for the C-Series touring up to $3,250 for the B-Series sedan (which 16-year-old Margaret Gorman is apparently driving). The B-Series so-called "California" Touring at an even $3,000 featured what was referred to as a "cape" top. I never heard the term before, so I can't imagine what that was. (Refer back to previous LOL.)

Wiki goes on to say that the alligator-patterned outer fabric covering in lieu of paint was made from what DuPont was calling at the time "Fabrikoid." Pretty neat, the early work with "plastics," isn't it? A while back, I was surfing, and I think it was said that the forerunner of today's plastics was invented -- or at least began to come onto the public scene -- in the 1920s. I do remember a '29 Model A Ford business coupe with a weathered old covering that didn't look like just some mere treated canvas. So, maybe others have some knowledge of these things?

The Birmingham stock and mail-fraud flap is described by Wiki as a "political scandal," apparently since the Birmingham president was also Jamestown's mayor. It would be interesting to know more about him (his name is not mentioned) and how the matter was settled. Did he go to the slammer like Sam Pandolfo? Get dragged before an SEC inquest like Tucker?

Well, as you can see, ONE PIC can raise more questions than it answers!!! I hope others in HAMBland know how to fill in some of the blanks (help!). At any rate, not much money seems to have gotten raised, since only some 50 Birminghams were built. And the stated contention that none made it to modern times lands the Birmingham on our EXTINCT LIST (as SWI says, until somebody shows evidence of a survivor!).

[​IMG]

The info from WikiMedia Commons states the pic of the first Miss America is a "press photo," meaning that it was a set-up publicity shot -- which probably appeared in newspapers and magazines all over the country. I'd wondered about the Washington, D.C., setting before, but it all makes sense when one grasps the purpose of the photo. The photograph is from the Library of Congress and was apparently taken by a photog working for the National Photo Company. Incidentally, Margaret Gorman was a lifelong Washington, D.C., resident and lived to the grand age of 90.

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]
    Zak, the long piece on Sheridan, Billy Durant, Eddie Rickenbacker, et.al., by Rick Jorgensen (founder of the Golden Era Automobile Association) was nothing short of fascinating (flabbergasting might be a better word!).

Early on, the reader must ask: HOW can a car company with a great product and so much going for it possibly fail? But as Jorgensen sorts through the record, along with accounts from descendants of key players in the story, it becomes clear that there was at least one undercurrent of intrigue coursing through the events. The story is riveting from several standpoints, including the fact that most all Sheridan production took place under General Motors before Billy Durant's interests gained full control.

The coaster ride that was Sheridan moved awfully fast, too, in the space of little more than two years! The Sheridan gained public favor so quickly that the factory couldn't keep up. Then, seemingly suddenly, inexplicably (except to folks like Jorgensen who studied the matters well), you have people bolting from what had to be considered a very successful company, you have a suicide, you have a seamy rumor or two, you have the Sheridan going-concern canceled in favor of a replacement that does NOT get built.

As I've said before, I enjoy reading the stories of the PEOPLE behind the cars as much as I enjoy reading about the cars.
    And THIS was one story worth reading!

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hold the phone now. Several sources state that only TWO
    Sheridans are known to be in existence still. Yet here are
    what appears (to ME at least) as THREE cars, all identified as
    Sheridans. Are my eyes fooling me, or are we seeing three
    SEPARATE specimens of the Sheridan, existing today?

[​IMG]
    From the Jorgensen piece: The Sheridan that was once in Harrah's collection.

[​IMG]
    Sheridan Owned by Emil & Rose Winterhalder (Golden Era Automobile Association)

[​IMG]
    '21 Sheridan shown on Royal Feltner's site,
    earlyamericanautomobiles.

10. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

The Great Race, 2008

[​IMG]
    The winning Thomas Flyer from 1908

Ninety-nine years ago six motorized vehicles set out from New York to Paris in what would become known as “The Great Race.” Amazingly, three of the six finished.

Next year, to mark the 100th anniversary of the event, another New York to Paris race is being planned, with five major differences.

1) There will be at least 40 vehicles, instead of the original six

2) The trans-Pacific portion of the trip will be conducted by cargo plane rather than by ship.

3) In 1908, it took the winning Thomas Flyer 169 days to reach Paris. Organizers of next year’s race have scheduled 65 days for the cars to reach the Eiffel Tower.

4) Unlike 1908, there will be two types of entrants – a Classic Class for vintage vehicles at least 25 years old, and an Innovation Class for vehicles running on alternative fuels.

5) Most of the North American portion of the race will run through Canada.
    “After 25 years of racing on this continent, we’ve run 10 million miles and there aren’t many places in the U.S. we’ve never been to,” said Bill Ewing, CEO of Great Race Sports Inc., organizers of the event. “So we’re looking forward to seeing your beautiful country.

“The original New York-to-Paris race proved the internal combustion engine was a practical solution to long-distance travel,” Ewing said. “This time we’ll add momentum to the auto industry’s campaign to push renewable fuels.”

So far, 25 teams have registered to run the entire 34,977 km race, and Ewing says at least 40 will have signed up by the Dec. 31 deadline.
    “We can run more than 40 cars,” he says, “but because of what a cargo plane can carry, we have to do it in increments of 20.”

Just one entrant thus far is from Canada. Russ Cmolik of Vancouver will run a vehicle in the Innovation Class that uses biodiesel fuel.

Another difference from 1908, where it was every man for himself, first car to the finish line wins, is that next year’s race will use a rally format using time, speed and distance to calculate the winner.

Knowing that not all potential participants can afford to spend 69 days on such fun and frivolity, organizers have also divided the race into three stand-alone stages. The European stage will run from Berlin to Paris, the Chinese stage will cross that vast country from Shanghai to Wulumuqi and the North American stage will run from New York to Vancouver. Entry fee for the North American event is $14,000 if you want organizers to look after lodging, food, etc., or $6,000 if you want to go it on your own.

Deadline to enter any of the regional stages is March 31, 2008.

The race will begin in New York City on May 30, cross the border into Canada on June 1 and then travel through Ottawa, Toronto, Sault Ste. Marie, Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton, Canmore and Kelowna before arriving in Vancouver for the flights to China.

One of the entrants is a 1904 Thomas – a model three years OLDER than the winning Thomas Flyer from 1908. Incidentally, all of the original top three finishers still exist. The winner was restored about 30 years ago and now resides in a museum in Reno, Nev., the third place car, an Italian Zust, is being restored on Vancouver Island, and the second place Protos is in the Deutsches Museum in Munich, Germany.

Thus far, the Great Race 2008 has attracted teams from nine countries – Australia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Ireland, Mexico, Portugal, Poland and the U.S. Among the renewable-fuel participants are a Ford prototype and a 2008 Volkswagen Passat, as well as a 2007 Buell Ulysses motorcycle and 1967 Aston-Martin running on E85 ethanol.

Besides the 1904 Thomas Flyer, vintage entries include a 1910 Nyberg Indy Racer, a 1916 Hudson, a 1927 Jordan and a 1951 MG-TD.

11. swi66

swi66

In case you didn't know....

Great Race cancelled

China denies entry to Greatest Auto Race Centennial

A recreation of the 1908 Greatest Auto Race has been postponed due to China denying entry to competitors.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">
    </TD><TD align=right itxtvisited="1">21st April 2008
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[​IMG]

It's been 100 years since 17 men, in six of the most innovative automobiles from France, Germany, Italy and the United States, left Times Square in New York and headed for the finish line in Paris, France.

The recreation of The Greatest Auto Race of 1908, was supposed to begin next month, but has been postponed after the permits required to travel through China were unexpectedly recalled and put on hold.

This year more than 30 vintage roadsters and specially built vehicles were due to depart from New York on May 30 and hopefully arrive at the Eiffel Tower on August 2 after traveling 18,843 miles.

No explanation was given for why China pulled its permission, but Great Race Sports chief executive, Bill Ewing, said 'Great Race Sports is hard at work exploring all options to run this race in honor of the 100th anniversary,'

The original 1908 race organisers, to prove that the newly invented automobile was a durable machine, purposely made this the longest, toughest race ever run, by requiring the teams to drive the entire distance westward from New York City to Paris without the use of a boat.

The only way this could be done was to schedule the race during the dead of winter when the narrow body of water between Alaska and Russia froze over.

Also, the original race was run in the winter so they could drive across the bering strait which would be frozen over.........LOL
    The event organizers never checked out the way things really are.
    In Alaska, in 1908, the only way to reach the strait was by dogsled through a narrow mountain pass. Too narrow for a vehicle to get through for sure, unless fully dis-assembled and transportyed by dog sled.
    There was a reason too why they used dog sleds to get around, snow 10 to 20 ' deep. Could a dogsled even transport a dis-assembled car?

AS for the Bering strait, attempting crossing it in the winter is simply certain death. It heaves and moves, and due to currents opens and closes and is never completely frozen.

The 2008 re-creation was cancelled.
    I have heard other stories as well, including under funding, and possible embezzlement of sponsor funds.
    Nothing certain though, but they said they were going to postpone for a year to come up with a different route, so far in 2010 nothing yet...........and no updates that I have heard.

Another organizer came up with this.
    http://www.longestautoracecent.com/

I participated for a short leg, from Buffalo to Springville to take pictures.
    They went from NY to California, at least completing some of the journey.

They are talking about continuing the trek, starting in Japan, then to Russia and on to Paris, but even further, then to England, Scotland, then to Greenland and Iceland, to Canada, and back to NY.

Possibly in a couple years.............and they would avoid China.
    Not a bad idea there.......

12. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thanks for the update on the Great Race Centennial SWI. I do seem to recall the cancellation because of China denying entry.

With the recent discussion on the Thomas Flyer, I thought the picture of the
    original Thomas Flyer that ran the 1908 race would be of interest.

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

<FORM id=fave_form style="VISIBILITY: hidden" method=post>1925 one-off prototype Julian, in the Peterson Museum, thanks to a Flickr member pic.

This one-of-a-kind 1925 Julian is featured in the special exhibit "What Were They Thinking? The Misfits of Motordom" at the Petersen Automotive Museum (February 28, 2009 through July 5, 2010). Excerpt from the signage: "The car was powered by a specially engineered, rear-mounted radial engine with six cylinders and air cooling... Brown looked for investors to establish a company to build the car, but could not secure financing and only this prototype was built."

"Brown" was Julian Brown of Syracuse, NY. Sources don't match, but it seems clear that Brown worked on the engine and car for years, perhaps as long as 1918 to 1925. I don't know that this car should be labeled a misfit, but the cylinder config and positioning, low & in back, helps explain the low profile, doesn't it? If ANYONE has some details about Brown and/or his car, it would surely help put some meat on the bones!

Sincere thanks for this rare look at a unique auto is extended to AACA, the Peterson, to flickr and to Mr. Braverman!

</FORM>
    [​IMG]
    AACA member Steve Braverman posted this pic of the '25 Julian
    on an AACA forum discussing radial-engined cars.

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Don't know WHERE the copy went. Let's try this again!

<FORM id=fave_form style="VISIBILITY: hidden" method=post>1925 one-off prototype Julian, in the Peterson Museum, thanks to a Flickr member pic.
    </FORM>
    <!-- PHOTO CONTENT: DESCRIPTION, NOTES, COMMENTS -->This one-of-a-kind 1925 Julian is featured in the special exhibit "What Were They Thinking? The Misfits of Motordom" at the Petersen Automotive Museum (February 28, 2009 through July 5, 2010).
    Excerpt from the signage: "The car was powered by a specially engineered, rear-mounted radial engine with six cylinders and air cooling... Brown looked for investors to establish a company to build the car, but could not secure financing and only this prototype was built."

"Brown" was Julian Brown of Syracuse, NY. Sources don't match, but it seems clear that Brown worked on the engine and car for years, perhaps as long as 1918 to 1925. I don't know that this car should be labeled a misfit, but the cylinder config and positioning, low & in back, helps explain the low profile, doesn't it? If ANYONE has some details about Brown and/or his car, it would surely help put some meat on the bones!

Sincere thanks for this rare look at a unique auto is extended to AACA, the Peterson, to flickr and to Mr. Braverman!

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]
    From Royal Feltner's site, a 1925 Pierce Arrow expermential sedan.
    SWI, this wouldn't be the experimental electric or hybrid you referred
    to a LONG while back, would it? (I think Tesla was involved with the
    one you mentioned, and it was secreted away from the public eye --
    permanently!)

16. swi66

swi66

From what I have heard and read, no-one knows of the final fate of the Tesla car.
    And there are a LOT of Pierce Arrow people, so if this one was the one, somebody would have made that known.
    There are some who maintain it was tucked away in a garage somewhere in the area.
    Some maintain it is an urban legand..........
    interesting story though.

17. From the poster ( www.roadinosaur.com

There was a 1908 Thomas Flyer in the auction yesterday in Greenwich, Ct. nice looking older restoration, 1950's I'd guess.

Bonhams just had that car was just there on exhibit. It is a 4-60 and is a good one that was in the original Thomson Products collection. It was sold out of the Crawford Museum by Sotheby's in the early 90's? It went to the UK and now Bonhams has it back here for their Pebble Beach sale.
    Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia
    Held in association with The Quail: A Motorsports Gathering
    Quail Lodge Resort and Golf Club Carmel, California
    August 12th and 13th, 2010

Lot Preview

[​IMG]
    The ex-J.Herbert Carpenter Jr.
    ex-Western Reserve Historical Society
    1908 Thomas Flyer 4-60 Model F Tourer
    Estimate: $700,000 - 900,000

18. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Avanti Garde: Experimental Studebakers

<!--END Page Title --> <!--BEGIN Content Body //--> June 08, 2010

by Donald L. Jones
    [​IMG]

These two Avanti-influenced prototypes, a fastback (left) and
    notchback (right), were built by 1962 for possible production in 1964.

The cars were built by Pichon-Parat of Paris, and their Avanti lineage is obvious.

In 1961, just three months after becoming president of the automotive division of Studebaker-Packard Corp., Sherwood H. Egbert had successfully started the transition to an all-new automobile lineup with the hiring of the Brooks Stevens Studio, in addition to the Raymond Loewy/William Snaith Studio, to design new models. Loewy, of course, had presented the initial design for the Avanti, and with that project well underway, he turned his attention to the design of future models to be introduced in the 1964 model year.

At the suggestion of John Ebstein, Loewy again decided to sequester the design team, except this time, he sequestered them in Paris, France. Initially, Raymond Loewy’s design team of Ebstein and Bob Andrews were dispatched to Loewy’s Paris Studio and given the same task as before: design the 1964 Avanti in two- and four-door versions. Tom Kellogg remained in New York to work with Loewy on other aspects of the project.

The first week turned out to be a lost cause, as the French designers currently working in the studio wanted to be involved in the Avanti project and kept making suggestions to Ebstein and Andrews. Also, there was a jukebox constantly blaring Elvis Presley songs in the studio, as his music had recently been discovered by the French. Again, Ebstein asked Loewy for a more appropriate place that gave he and Andrews some solitude and fewer distractions. Tentatively, he suggested Loewy’s hunting camp “La Cense,” located about 40 miles outside of Paris. Loewy agreed, and once there, the situation improved and the actual design work began.

Loewy realized that the real problem in this project was to take a sports car design and transform it into a family sedan. Admittedly, this was a feat that had been tried many times, but never successfully accomplished. To that end, Loewy gave very specific instructions to Andrews and Ebstein, including the dimensions to which they must adhere. These predetermined dimensions were a wheelbase of 113 inches; an overall length of 193 inches; an overall width of 70 inches; and an overall height of 55-3/4 inches over the rear seat. Loewy also dictated that headroom be 36 inches at the front and 35 inches in the rear. He also declared that the track should be 61-1/4 inches in the front and 60-1/4 inches in the rear.

From clay to metal

Within six weeks of their arrival in France, two models were produced: One in a notchback style and the other in a fastback style. One-eighth scale clay models were developed of the concepts and taken to New York where Loewy, Ebstein, Andrews and Kellogg “sweetened” them. One side of each the notchback and fastback were fashioned in a two-door configuration while the other side of each concept was made into a four-door configuration. Once completed, the models were cast in plaster, painted and returned to Paris.

Back in Paris, Ebstein, prepared a set of slides that projected these models in full size. Egbert, upon seeing both models, immediately approved them as prototypes. Ebstein was designated to return to the United States and bring the plaster models to South Bend for approval by the Studebaker Corp. board of directors. The board gave its approval with little discussion, with the majority of the members leaning toward the notchback car. With that approval came a deadline of April 12, 1962, for a full-metal prototype to be produced by Pichon-Parat of France. The fastback model was scheduled for delivery by October of the same year.

Under the supervision of Ebstein, the notchback was produced by the deadline, shipped to South Bend, trucked to the proving grounds and driven up to Egbert’s home. Although he was critically ill, Egbert got out of bed, went outside and viewed the car. He enthusiastically ordered full-size clay models of both cars to be built and shown to the board, key corporate individuals, dealers and select others. From his bed, Egbert dictated many memos to the engineering department covering such things as new tooling requirements and an all-new suspension with torsion rods.

Egbert’s enthusiasm for these cars was not enough to stop those longtime board members in South Bend from doubting their success. They asked, “sort of foreign, isn’t it?” and “I sincerely doubt that Ford or GM would ever build anything like this.”

Once the clay models arrived, the infighting began. In an effort to satisfy everyone, Ebstein and Kellogg developed a cross between the notchback and the fastback. This fit right in with Studebaker’s tradition of everyone playing designer. In the fall of 1963, both cars were built in fiberglass and fit to experimental chassis. However, sales figures from the spring of 1963 cast doubt on the project, and even Egbert admitted that an all-new car for 1964 was an impossibility. Needless to say, these cars were never put into production, but the steel-bodied prototypes survived.

Lost in the shuffle

As the assets of the Studebaker Avanti were sold first to Newman and Altman, then to Blake, then Kelly and then Kelly/Cafaro, these prototypes were included in each sale. When the decision was made to move the Avanti Corp. to Youngstown, Ohio, these prototypes were moved with it, and wound up in the manufacturing facility there. Ultimately, Kelly was bought out and his attempt to remove the prototypes from Youngstown was stopped by Cafaro.

In 1991, the Avanti manufacturing facility in Youngstown was closed and production ceased. To the best knowledge of the author, the prototypes remained there. However, the story is not over, because these refused to go completely forgotten.

[​IMG]

The driver’s side of the prototypes are four-doors, which saved expense from creating separate prototypes for two- and four-door prototypes. On the passenger side, the Studebakers were fashioned as two-doors. On the driver’s side, they were fashioned as four-doors.

Finding the long-long prototypes

Approximately nine months ago, an individual approached me about these prototypes. I told him I knew of them, but thought they had been lost forever with the demise of the New Avanti Corp. in Ohio. He thought he had found them, so I suggested that he take a few pictures and send them to me. Once he did, I almost cried as these were the missing prototypes.

As in many stories, there is a good ending, but to this story, there is a miraculous ending. The cars were purchased, saved and are now in the hands of the Studebaker National Museum, an appropriate place for a significant piece of the final years of the Studebaker Corp.’s Automobile Division.

At present, the Studebaker National Museum has undertaken a quiet fund raising effort to complete the purchase and restoration of these cars. Significant contributors to this effort are the Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) through its Restoration Fund; the Avanti Owners Association International; and the Keystone Region, Inc. of the SDC, one of the largest chapters within the SDC. In addition to these organizations, individual members of the Keystone Region Inc. have joined in this effort, adding another significant amount to the overall total. Once the museum’s goal is reached, any additional funds contributed to this project will be earmarked for the preservation/conservation needs of the museum’s collection.

If you wish to contribute to this project, please make your check payable to the Studebaker National Museum, designate them to the Avanti Prototype project, and send them to the National Museum in South Bend, Ind. Contributions to the museum are tax-deductible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Jim, I thank you for the info on the Avanti-influenced Studebaker prototypes! I thought I'd seen them all, but this was real news to me. As I understand, they SURVIVED? Stude Nat'l Museum in South Bend?

I feel both were potential trend-setters, stylewise. And the black one has some definite Sceptre touches, don't you think?

Finally, I offer an opinion. I think very highly of Sherwood Egbert. His fresh perspective, enthusiasm and determination in the face of steep challenges are just what Studebaker needed in order to get a leg back up in the auto market (AND in public perception).

I have to wonder if the sudden, tragic loss of Egbert didn't have a general negative impact upon the ultimate actions of the Stude board of directors, Sorry if that sounds like a rhetorical question; I don't mean it that way.

20. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Another photo of the Julian. Somewhere, I have the name of the fellow who owned it before Harrah, but today's not the day for me to find it. If I do, I'll post it.

Found it: Prescott Lunt, of Rochester, NY.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

By mid-1963, Studebaker, its resurgent market-success Lark now sadly aging, was looking at a $17-million loss on the season -- the worst financial drubbing since 1955, '56 and '57.

By the year's end, the company would retreat entirely from its venerable South Bend digs and meet its dealer obligations over the final 2.5 years of existence by building mostly Chevy-powered cars at its Hamilton, Ontario plant. But that's getting a tad ahead of the story.

When things looked bleakest in '63, the prospect of a $9 million government contract to build thousands of light postal (et.al.) delivery trucks provided a ray of hope. Then-well-known Westinghouse teamed with Studebaker on the no-frills project. But in the end, only one prototype was built, along with a rumored van version. The former was found in the proverbial barn some years ago and now resides in the Studebaker national Museum in South Bend, while the latter has never been found -- if it ever existed.

[​IMG]

Sincere thanks to TreeHugger Forums (treehugger.com) for
    this rare glimpse of a humble little utility that might have
    saved Studebaker.
    [​IMG]

I could find no mention of a reason why the government did not follow through on the Stude-Westinghouse project, but the little COE serves as tangible proof of Studebaker's perennial resourcefulness -- the ability to go to the company parts bin and make something new out of the old. Here is a great quote by a staff writer at " How?StuffWo?rks ." Urging folks to visit the Stude museum, he/she tersely observed:

"It's a place well worth visiting, if only to be reminded that innovation so often flourishes in adversity -- and that no enterprise is immortal."

I wish I had said that!

22. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

This is a 1911 Packard model 18. Full details on this very car:

http://www.packardsonline.com/packard_display_car.cfm?pk=129

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Many THANKS, Twin6 ! These "real life" photos have an appeal that the best museum shots do not. I like both.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

And thanks again, Twin6 !!! That resolves the mystery I alluded to. SO for the record, there are officially ONLY TWO known Sheridans still in existence, folks.

[​IMG]

'11 Packard, not '21 Sheridan

25. 1964 Studebaker Zip Van

'64 Zip Van. These were the last Studebaker's manufactured in South Bend. The US Postal Service used them as mail delivery vehicles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

HJ, thanks for the pix of the Stude ZIP. It was conceived before the Stude-Westinghouse, and at least IT did get produced.

But speaking of Studebakers:

1957 Stude-Packard Astral
    [From Randy of SoCal for WebShots (the American Greetings site) in his album, "Unusual Transportation."]

[​IMG]

Funny, they actually point out that the vehicle did NOT have an atomic power system installed!
    Thanks, I can relax now!!! LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ha, ha! The new Edsel would have NOTHING on the Astral !!!!
    [​IMG]

Obvious where Hanah-Barbera got the design for the Jetsons' car, eh?

27. Hey Jimi-

I don't see any pix, just a box with a red X.

28. Off Topic But...

Post #3698 on the History Auto racing 1894-1944 thread

Tomorow is the 100th anniversary of this event.

This photo gives us an idea of what went on during the three days of airplane races that were held in June 1910. Wilbur and Orville Wright participated in the opening events on Monday, June 13. The final attraction on Wednesday was a race between a car and an airplane flying overhead. The plane won by four seconds. The planes flying overhead in this photograph were probably images taken at the events and added to this image by the photographer.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

HJ, same here on the Stude Jetsons "car." Happens some times.

The item on the 1910 plane-VS-auto event surely helps illustrate how FAST avaiation came on, doesn't it?

I'm always amazed at how PRIMITIVE planes were in 1914 . . . THEN, how ADVANCED they were in 1918 !!!

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Once again, from Royal Feltner's great net site, is a 1910 Burg, belived to be the ONLY Burg still in existence. They were only made from 1910 and were gone after 1913, even before the first world war started. Burgs were built in Dallas City, IL, by the L. Burg Carriage Co., as confirmed by Clymer. Royal says this singular Burg is owned by Loren T. Utsinger. Loren must be proud to own a one-of-a-kind car!

The Burg S Series was mid-priced at around $2,000, while the R Series cost a whopping nearly $3,500. I cannot say about the early Burg cars, but by the final 1913 model year, they offered two pretty massive engines generating hp that we'd find disappointing today: a 421-CID six with 22 hp and a 348 six of 22 hp. The larger R Series rode on a 134-inch wheelbase, and the S Series was 10 inches shorter.

Anybody out there know what $2,000 to $3,500 in 1910 dollars would equal in 2010 dollars???

[​IMG]