Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Warbird Nose Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

Hello I'm new to the forum, anyone needing specific Unit emblem ID help of WW-2 USAAF/USN/USMC flying unit emblems , feel free to contact me , I am an avid researcher of this type of items, also an artist of leather unit patches of the same , and have 30 years into it , I do free help with them and enjoy doing so, looking forward to hearing from you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A 5-6 inch Leather WW-2 era USAAF/USN/USMC patch Squadron/Group each $50.00 total including postage(in the US)
    Love the nose art photos , there's a great book out about this titled "Talisman" it has all sorts of photos of nose art of military aircraft, it's ISBN is , 0-88740-414-6
    If you like nose art you'll love this book!
    Johnny

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

I know this is a somewhat old thread but somebody posted on it and I just wanted to ask a question.

Given that a lot of the post-WWII era hot rodders were obviously vets, were there many examples of using this nose-art type painting on hot rods? If not I wonder why cuz it seems like the two would go together very well.

3. well i am glad this thread made it to the top again,

4. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i'm still kicking myself....i was in cape coral florida earlier this year on a Bahamas cruise excursion and there was a art gallery with a piece from a B17 around 3 feet by 3 feet. On it was "nose art" the artist learned it from his father who did nose art on B17s in WW2, it was reasonable priced also I think around $200...it was very cool and had a very authentic look.

5. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

hmm thats a very good question...there is a door art thread I happened to look through today (all 22 pages) and I did notice a few "nose art" on doors but not many

6. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

Lancaster tail art

Attached Files:

7. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

My dad served in the 8th Sqdn, 3rd Attack Group (Grim Reapers) as a top turret/flexible gunner on A-20's and B-25's.. Here's some for your viewing!

"BUB'S BROTHER" my dads favorite pilot and who he considered the best pilot in the SWPA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Another one of dads pilots.. BG (RET) WIld Bill Webster ( in the Aussie boots) with "STING OF DEATH"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old man taking a nap.. 3 mile air strip, Port Moresby, 1942/43

[​IMG]

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Some more Canadian RAF/RCAF content for ya'll

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

not nose art, but some pics of a trip to Simpson Harbor, Rabaul..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading home

[​IMG]

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The plains really take on a life of their own once they have some nose art applied to them.

Without the artwork it's just another airplane.

The people who painted these artworks were true artists who left their mark on the world.

Jimbo

12. Straight8's&Aces

Straight8's&Aces

Stuff from my grandpa he was a tail gunner on a B-29 superfortess

Attached Files:

13. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

Johnny/Emblemhunter

14. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

15. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

The "Bugs Bunny" is the unit emblem for 427th Bombardment Squadron/19th Bombardment Group also the 427th was with the 303rd Bombardment Group.

16. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

This bottom emblem is the USN Naval Air Station Olathe for Kansas City Missouri.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  17. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

This emblem is the 85th Bombardment Squadron of the 47th Bombardment Group/12th AAF , and they flew the twin engine A-20 Havoc Light bomber .

18. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Your grandpa was one tough guy.It took guts to be a ball turret gunner.I toured the Liberty Bell and talked to a 90 year old guy that did it flying hundreds of missions,he told me stories that sent chills down my spine. Be proud of gramps ,he deserves the NO FEAR award.

19. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

20. subscribed great post

21. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

22. WDobos

WDobos

You guys should check out the art work on the Vietnam gun trucks,like the nose art but more modern.

23. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

Anyone wanting a nice leather unit patch of WW-2 Flying unit/s made USAAF/USN/USMC , drop me a PM with your e mail adress and I can send you sample photos of various ones I've made, I almost 30 years into the hobby, I make a 5-6 inch patch your choice $50.00

Just added some new patch photos into my link under "Ziggy's patches" se them here
    http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/EMBLEMHUNTER/library/Patches

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  24. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

It was also popular on aircraft in Bomber Command and showed up on multiple Halifax and Lanc bombers.

Thanks for the info, but if you quote someone please remove the images from the quote so people viewing the thread don't have to scroll through a bunch of photos from previous pages :)

Thanks!

25. Here a few pictures at a car show this past year at the Chandler airport in AZ.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

26. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

awesome thread, thanks to everybody posting..

27. dirtpoor

dirtpoor
    from maryland

My grandmother was Rosie the riveter during the war.I still have some of her tools and he notebooks form her war time classes.My granddad was her teacher and thats how they met.He got drafted into the CB's because he knew so much about building and my grandmother stayed on in the plant.We have there letters to each other from the war some pretty hot stuff for back then.

28. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Thats pretty badass! I love noseart. You have a cool story.

29. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

The Bugs Bunny emblem is the design for the 530th Bombardment Squadron of the 380th Bombardment Group, technically not nose art , it's a unit patch.