Register now to get rid of these ads!

Walmart HotRod Parts tech!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokin Joe, Mar 1, 2004.

1. shock

shock

Dollar store soup ladels and potato mashers for air intakes......also used a junk 3/8 universal to get that choke/mixture rod lined up.

[​IMG]

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  2. RichG

RichG

About the Walmart debate: Walmart DOES sell American products, but it's the way that they conduct business that puts pressure on those same companies, forcing them to change how they package their products to meet Walmarts standards... putting those same companies in jeopardy by lowering their profit margins to nearly nothing.

Walmart is bad, not because of what they sell, but how they try to destroy local competition through well planned subterfuge. Don't believe me, then do some reading:

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3046wal-mart_pricing.html

The worst conspiracy theory you have ever heard about Walmart is far less insidious than the truth.

Now, to keep on topic, I go to Salvation Army and shop their aisles. They are way cheaper than Goodwill. The last time I went there I picked up a pair of nice chromed 6" boat lights for $4... they'll look great on the front of my "No-Buck T"

3. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

fence posts make the best exausts, theyre the same metal (galvanized steel) and the same width (unless you get corner posts) and if you go to the local fence company you can get them for dirt cheap used. if you need header pipes, ask for old top rail(pick it up, if it looks kind of dark and heavy, its better) and that will come even cheaper than posts.

4. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Ah, Walmart - my favorite hot rod parts store - take a look at the air cleaners - alum soup bowls @ $6.00 ea, and the disc brake covers - alum frying pans @ $10.00 ea. A day at the Indy Rockets Rumble - priceless!!

Attached Files:

5. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Holly shit, I love the new pictures! High five on the work. So a wheel barrow? Thats ingenuity at it's best. Great work, keep it up!

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You guys in Texas should go visit Hilliards Hardware store in Van.

You would be amazed at the variety and quantity of the stuff you would find stuffed into every square inch of the place.

It's a real old time hardware store and they really take having stock seriously. Bet you would find every size of v belt ever made for instance.

I'm also sure you can get stuff that they don't make anymore as they had huge quantities of whatever it was and still do.

Amazing place.

8. Frank

Frank

I'll have to check that out. Also, the small chain of Elliot's is a great hardware store around the Dallas area.

Ikea is a great place for hot rod hardware and they carry a lot of polished stainless pieces too.

9. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Great tread!!
    Dentist chairs got a lot of parts....Air/water electrical valves( someone here used it for linelock brakes..) electrical or manual valves w/ manometer , all 24V, but function well on 12V..and a lot of small couplings,etc.
    Perfume caps could be great knobs/grilleparts, plumber got a lot of nice SS stuff... :)

10. evintho

evintho

Made a turbocharger heat shield from a $5.99 stainless steel utensil holder purchased in the 'pots and pans' section of WalMart. Fits like a glove and really keeps the heat contained. It's on a 2.3 turbo'd 4cyl that's currently in my Mustang but the entire drivetrain is gonna be swapped into my T roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JeffB2 likes this.
  11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love this thread for its creativity and seeing posts by C9.

Evintho please start building that roadster with that motor, hanging to see that!

12. gsport

gsport

i needed four dollies to move my 50' around the shop when i needed the lift. the cheapest i could find to get the job done was at harbor freight (two for $39.99), so i figured the car couldn't weigh more than 1,800 lbs. or so.. so instead of the dollies, i bought 4 mini furniture dollies for $7.99 each, each rated for 1,000 lbs... worked just fine for what i needed them for..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Sams club steamer trays cut into chunks and reassembled for a fan shroud,,

[​IMG]

hard to see in the pic but the cone at the top of the steering column is a stainless shield from a flexible clamp on desk lamp.

[​IMG]

14. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

brilliant!!! i bet they roll better than the steel casters. mine dont roll too well at least

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Anyone notice that this thread is over 6 years old? Nice to bring back one that has some substance to it. Any more new ideas?

Frank

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

For any of you that does scratch wireing like I do, heres something. When wanting to repair an old light socket or modify a new one and you need the end that makes contact with the bulb, just use a steel 1/8" pop rivet. Remove the pin from rivet then insert striped back wire and solder the tip. Just remember to have wire run thru the socket holder first (I hate when I forget to do that :eek:).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    vtx1800 and firstinsteele like this.
  17. terry48435

terry48435

Some great ideas here guys........

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I will pass on this one big time !

Retro Jim

19. cupcake trays are your best friend when tearing down something, They make great organizers for your nuts and bolts.

20. 55chevyfreak

55chevyfreak
    from SWMissouri

Let's keep this going....got lots of great ideas for my truck. Thanks everyone.

21. geezerkat

geezerkat

Take a look at fireplace screens. They are punched with various designs and can be used for grill inserts or speaker covers & etc. Look better than the old expanded metal.

22. rustdodger

rustdodger

you can use the guards that are made for the lower half of screen doors for similar applications too

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

1 1/2 copper pipe and elbows from Home Depot to make chrome plated lower radiator hoses.
    ( I don't think they sell it anymore, but plumbing supply store will.)

Attached Files:

24. Saw these the other day at Lowe's- just a head's up if HD doesn't have them any more!

25. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I was in my local Walmart yesterday trying to find some valve stems and noticed that they had V8 emblems that look like the ones on the grille of a 56 Ford truck. Cheap plastic crap but for $3.76 if would be cool to stick on a tool box or something.

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just checked out Wallyworlds carpets. They have a 5X7 black rug bound all around for about 20 bucks that I think will be perfect for my 48 Ford.

27. fleetside66

fleetside66

Ha-Ha! I too have a '33 pickup & I just did the exact same thing the other day. It worked so nice that I put another between the seats to shine on the dash when I need it. I guess great minds think alike.

28. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Cool thread as I like to be innovative and cheap if I can. Here's a couple of items I saw at a Menards.

First one is for multiple carbs guys:a plumbing expansion manifold - check out the character on this!

Second one is a roof duct flashing that could maybe used for a shift boot, clumn seal?

Have fun!! :cool:

Attached Files:

osut362 likes this.
  29. M.Edell

M.Edell

30. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I read that copper wasn't good to use with gasoline.:confused: