Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Virtual top 100 Custom car show

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Ron

Ron

2. Ron

Ron

3. Ron

Ron

4. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I think it simply is a must to repost the pics of Kent Vikmo's recently shiney painted '40 Merc.Virtual Top 100 Custom Car Show stuff for sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I already said,words can't describe the beauty of the car...Pics were taken at the Custom Motor Show in Jönköping,Sweden.
    I will try to repost other pics in this thread and others too(Valley Customs etc.).

5. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Here are the pics of the Inman Chrysler again.Inman had a Hot Rod-style Olds and often hung out at John's Drive-In in San Jose,California,which was a hot spot back in the day.Someday in the late 50's he saw a sleek '57 Chrysler cruising the place and was instantly hooked.Some time later he sold his Olds and bought a '57 Chrysler in 1960.He brought the car to Joe Wilhelm and he modified the quad headlights,installed a custom tube grille and lowered the car.Inman drove the car for two years and unfortunately got involved in an accident.Again the car was brought to Wilhelm to fix the damage on the quarter panel.While doing the repair work,Inman told Wilhelm to chop the top...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe Wilhelm chopped the car 3 1/2" and also installed a windshield of a '58 Dodge and the rear window of a '61 Mercury Comet which looks like it belongs there.He also frenched the stock tail lights.The effort paid off and the Chrysler became Grand National Custom Champion at the Oakland Roadster Show in 1963/64 and Custom Sweepstakes Winner at the Sacramento Autorama.The car is still around and belongs to film and record producer McEwen,who also has some other period Customs.

6. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Since this is the Virtual Top 100 Custom Show which includes many cool rides from the past,I just one more want to pay tribute to some of the GREATEST Customs from the present,all from the same builders,the GREAT Garcia's.I love these cars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. loogy

loogy

Bttt (because it's my all time favorite thread on the HAMB)

Chris

8. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

I once saw a picture of a car believed to be owned by Fred Offenhauser that he used to pull his midget racecar with.It had a grille that resembled a '38 Ford...only flowed much further toward the doors.I believe it had a Carson top,an was a late 30's sedan originally,possibly a Cadillac.The car was built in the early 40's.I would love to see another pic of this car.It may possibly have been built by Coachworks as mentioned in a previous post.
    A very elegantly styled custom.

9. Rikster

Rikster

From your descriptions I would say you saw a picture of So. Cal Plating company '35 Ford designed and built by George DuValle and Frank Kurtis in 1936. George DuValle designed his now so popular DuValle windshield for this car. The wheelbase was lenghned and the former four door was converted to a three door. At the rear the trunk was modified so freshly plated parts could be moved in and out easily. I believe the car was mentioned in this post before, but since you brought it up again.
    Here are a few pictures of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the original desing sketch by George DuValle. After this sketch several things where changed in the final design... grille bumpers etc.

[​IMG]

10. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

Thanks Rikster,that is THE car I had in mind.It has been a long time since I had seen a picture of it,and have only ever seen it towing the midget.Given the era this car was built,I think it deserves alot of accolades,maybe even a replica.

11. I went to high school with John Barris, Sams son, in Carmichael Calif. They lived about one block away from me and I would see those cars parked in front of their house at times. Honestly, at the time they didn't do a lot for me. Now I can appreciate the true works of art that they were. Saw John friday night at sacramento vintage ford show where he presented them a picture of " The Rose" the tribute car for Sam. He told us the story of his uncle George sending the batmobile up for the sacramento autorama, John set up the displays for the shows, and it got there a week early so he drove it to Del Campo High School for the week before the autorama , he was cool! History happening one block from your house and you dont have any idea whats going on. They were beautifull cars.

12. gasaholic

gasaholic

THIS HAS TO BE THE BEST THREAD EVER :eek: :eek: :eek: I'VE NEVER SAVED SO MANY PICS ON MY COMPUTER. KEEP IT UP I KNOW THERE'S MORE OUT THERE.
    THIS IS WHAT THIS SHIT'S ALL ABOUT.

13. GR

GR

Russ Grady's 57 Olds called The Oriental built by Herb Gary on Long Island

14. Janne

Janne

15. Janne

Janne

16. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Here are some I'd like to see up close again.

Attached Files:

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

18. What a great thread with some great pictures.

19. Ken Stuarts 51 Merc by Dick Dean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Valley Customs, Ina Mae Overman Lincoln

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Great thread!.Thanks Rik.Does anyone know what ever happened to Jim Walker out of Dayton Ohio?.He had some real nice 50's era customs.I beleive he owned some type of either a Caddy or Lincoln dealership.

21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Great thread.Thanks for reviving it.

22. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Great Great great!!!! Thanks for sharing

23. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I have always had the Moonglow chevy at the top of my list, and I'd have to add the Victorian built by the Alexander Bros, then John Kouws 52 buick, and John "Red" Koleans shoebox ford built by Crusin Customs . I think these four should/could be in the top 100.

Attached Files:

24. radio_king

radio_king

I don`t remember if this Neil Emorys pre-Valley custom `37 Dodge has been posted or not.I just love it,nice and clean early kustom(Rikster photo):

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  25. Wow Rik, I thought I was the only one who thought the early version of Bettencourt was the best of all other versions. Glad to hear you like this one as well. I think it is just stunning.

26. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Here's one I just found on another thread. Perfect proportions and yet it resembles no other.

[​IMG]

27. TomWar

TomWar

Rik: How can you not have the AZTEC in here?

28. This is just straight up gorgeous. Originally built and chopped by Dick Dean, then car was sold then it was painted and had a grill change(which I LOVE). by Scott Guildner. This car is one of my favorites!!!!

29. Rikster

Rikster

Fantastic make over... one of my favorites as well.
    This is how it used to look....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So much better now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Rikster

Rikster

Belongs here for sure!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]