Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

With Travers, Coon and Hilborn wrenching and with money being no object the Keck team, for a long as it lasted, was pretty much the 1950s equivalent of the 1980s Penske team. Weather it was Rose, Vuky or any number of others they would of had a pretty good advantage.

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Spider Webb, Indy 1953.
    2x-2-a webb 53.JPG

Dean Lowe likes this.
  3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

From the ? file: Can't say I know much about this guy, Beau Clerke, but apparently he was a east coast URC racer who ran several Champ car races in 1961 in this older Kuzma car. Didn't have a whole lot of luck with it but it's was a good looking car.
    2x-2-b- 61.JPG

Dean Lowe likes this.
  4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jack Beckley putting his touch on McGrath's Hinkle Spl. 1952.
    2x-2-c 1952.JPG

Dean Lowe likes this.
  5. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie,
    I saw Beau many times. He drove midgets in ARDC and sprinters in URC. The car is the former Pete Schmidt #44, with a history of wins by Ayulo, Thomson, Sachs, Hurtubise, Bettenhausen.

Budmiller likes this.
  6. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

"Beau" (John) Clerke was from Bloomsbury/NJ, between Flemington and Allentown. I have him racing from 1956 to '61, mostly URC but occasionally AARC or USAC. Was 12th in URC points 1956, unknown car and only individual result I have is 10th at Harrington/DE. Improved to 6th in '57, still unknown car, but including a 2nd at Manassas/VA and a 4th at Springfield/MA.

Started winning in 1958 (Harrington/DE), driving the Buckwalter-Matthews/Pontiac out of Johnstown/PA, was also 5th at Hamburg/NY and 6th at Trenton/NJ. Was not listed in URC points because of a couple of USAC starts (13th at Reading/PA, 11th at Thompson/CT, dns at Reading Fair) which netted 36th in Eastern USAC points. Drove Bill McConnell's Kurtis/Offenhauser to 11th in the rain-shortened Williams Grove "Indy Sweepstakes" the following year, and won twice in URC with the Ellis/Dodge (Hamburg/NY, Essex Junction/VT), plus a 5th at Flemington/NJ for 7th in points.

Was signed to replace champion Lou Johnson in the Anfuso/Ford late '59, dns again at Reading Fair (USAC), then in 1960 and URC 4th at Trenton/NJ, 3rd at Essex Junction/VT and 1st at Shelby/NC for runner-up honours in points. Ran the ex-Schmidt 1953 Kuzma/Offenhauser in USAC 1961, apparently as an owner-driver, but never managed to qualify for a start in 7 tries, 2 on pavement (Trenton, Milwaukee) and 5 on dirt (Langhorne, Springfield, Du Quoin, Syracuse and Sacramento).

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

What function did those siamesed intake ducts serve? They look awfully restrictive.

8. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

A LOT WORK TO DRIVE ONE - & - A BIG SET OF BALLS

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I agree, but there were only a few who could tune a Offy as good as Beckley so there must have been some kind of method to his madness.

10. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Speaking of the Penske team.....

What many don't realize is that Travers and Coon, through their Traco Engineering Company built the turbo Offies for Penske when Donohue won the 500 in 1972. Penske originally did their engines in house but had issues in the 1971 500. For 1972 Traco took over and built and serviced Penske's engines. Travers and Coon had already been involved with Penske in sports car racing.

11. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie,
    I looked at Dick Wallen's book and confirmed your picture of Elmer George in the Meskowski with an Offy. The hood was showing major rework. Thanks for the pic!

12. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I'm not sure when fuel injection became common in the indy cars, but considering that the photo is from 1952 and injectors were still relatively new, It might have been something to do with air flow or
    he didn't want to hack up the body work that was made to accommodate the two carb and air cleaner arrangement that was the standard at that point in time. Also might have been that he didn't want anyone to know that the car had injection as long as the hood was closed.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I was kind of thinking that he might have been trying to hide the injection also. But looking through the pictures of the 1952 field I'd say there were at least 6 others with F.I. so it wasn't like he had some one off super speed secret or anything.

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I'll go with #2, to fit the existing openings in the hood. LOL

I'm bored with the winter and done shoveling for the day so I resort to this and running the Drill Doctor sharpening drill bits.

15. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Saw Stan Lobitz today at the Nazareth Diner get together. Had a great time. Ken Brenn was also there and I told him I saw his dirt champ car photo on this site with Rollie Beale driving.

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

2x-4-a-eld 66.JPG McCluskey and Unser, Eldora 1966.

wheels53 and Dean Lowe like this.
  17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

2x-4-b- smith 51-ag2.JPG Clay Smith and Aggies #2 Indy 51.

Dean Lowe likes this.
  18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Johnny Wood in the Bromme car, El Centro 1963.
    2x-4-c- jw el c 63.jpg

wheels53 and Dean Lowe like this.
  19. barstowpo

barstowpo

I heard Bobby Allison say that it was Traco that caused their reliability problems with the NASCAR Matadors.

20. Sprinto7

Sprinto7

I heard it was Matadors fault.

21. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I knew the guys at Traco pretty well, and they sure did their best to turn out the best engines they could build with the parts that were supplied to them by the factory's at the time

They had a very good reputation for building good reliable racing engines for all the time they were open

DND

22. I just read that the Safety Glass #95 Indy roadster has been restored as of a year or so ago.
    would anyone have a pic of the finished car???
    mlight9

23. rooman

rooman

It was rescued from the roof a while back but I don't know if Chris has finished the restoration yet.

Roo

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Didn't often see Jim Hurtubise in any other sprint car other than Barnett's. In March of 63 he co-drove a Vette at the 12 hrs. of Sebring on the same weekend as the Reading opener but was able to fly up to Reading in time to take over the Vargo #35 finishing 9th.
    2x-5-a 63 all crowe.jpg

Dean Lowe likes this.
  25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jud Larson and Rodger Ward lead the field on the parade lap at the Hoosier 100 1956.
    2x-5-b lar ward 56 hh.JPG

Dean Lowe likes this.
  26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wally Stokes in the Dunlop 2, late 40s. 2x-5-c stokes dunlop.JPG

Dean Lowe likes this.
  27. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie,
    Alan Crowe on the outside of herk drove the best race. Started 12th and finished 4th. Herk replaced Ray Brown in the Vargo car. Herk won the consy to make the race.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jim McWithey gets some attention for his "stones" Indy 56
    2x-6-a mcwithey 56.JPG

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Dean Lowe likes this.
  29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Chapman Spl. "on the hook" after Van Johnson nailed the guard rail at the Hoosier 100 1956.
    2x-6-b vj 56 hh.JPG

Dean Lowe likes this.
  30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Russ Snowberger gets some new Champions for his roadster, Indy 56.
    2x-6-c snow 56.JPG

Dean Lowe and BZNEIL like this.