Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I have been hired to build a "Recreation" of this car. The "Mark Bowles Ranger Spl" I START ON IT MONDAY AND I CANT WAIT!!

[​IMG]

We already have the hard part!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. racer5c

racer5c

Barney Wimmer in the pic with Jimmy Wilburn went on to work at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum until his death he restored almost every car that is in the museum, was a great guy and another of my heros

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hell yeah.. That book talks a lot about him, and how they wore those SILK GOLD SHIRTS when they drove. They designed them themselves. :D Pretty cool. Pimp shit...

For you HAMBERS that don't know.. Racer5c had the shittiest HIGH SCHOOL job ever!! He worked at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum... Yeah,, That must have SUCKED!! :D

A side note to that.. How many of you know that the Museum has a BASEMENT with way more cars in it!!! Theres no basement in the Alamo... Ha ha.

4. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Josh,

This picture I posted earlier from the museum in PA has a Ranger powered car in the back ground. I looked but I do not have any good shots of it.

Here it is,

Attached Files:

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Early in his career "Opp" wheeled this Ranger powered crate around No. Cal.

Attached Files:

6. swimeasy

swimeasy

Wallpaper forever!

7. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

Is that the original engine from the car?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. racer5c

racer5c

Anyone notice anything unusual about the car being pushed off?? Unusual for Sprint Cars especially in 1950

Attached Files:

9. racer5c

racer5c

for some reason I had to make the picture smaller to post it look at the one on Josh's post

10. racer5c

racer5c

Just in case I will give you a hint, Johnnie Parsons 1950 winning Indianapolis car had the same thing that I am talking about on this sprint car, Josh do you know who that is being pushed off? or the name of the car?

11. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

Great Thread ,we Need More .

12. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Looks to me like independent front suspension on the car being pushed off at Winchester. I don't know who it is.

6 months until Indiana Sprint Week!

13. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

IFS.. I didn't notice it till you pointed it out. Book doesn't say anything about it anywhere.

Very cool... Nuthin' new under the sun.

I spent the day at dads.. Took some pics of the back room at his shop and his 69' Nance thats awaiting restoration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out these shots from a Nance Catalog. Dead on match!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nance even sold T bucket parts!

[​IMG]

When They tore the old Grandstands down at Lawrenceburg Speedway in southern indiana, Dad and I got permission to take the old pepsi sign off the old announcers booth. It was from the 60's. It was special to me cause it was hanging in 2000' when I won the track championship...

[​IMG]

BUT!! When we pulled off the 60's Pepsi sign we found the ORIGINAL 50's SIGN undernieth it!! It had been protected since the track opened in 1950!

[​IMG]

If your gonna restore or build old sprinters.. you need parts.

Wheels.
    [​IMG]

injected 327's
    [​IMG]

Original Tires... no cokers.

[​IMG]

These two are NOS.
    [​IMG]

This ones for you Roy... I had to step up for these but I've wanted a pair for a long time. 8:20 x 18
    [​IMG]

Camel humps..
    [​IMG]

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Dad started a tail tank collection this summer.. He has only hung up a few of them..
    [​IMG]

THIS ONES SPECIAL! Its off of Rich Voglers LAST ride.. Nuff said.

[​IMG]

This is my Nephew in his ride. Its the real deal. Check out the USAC sticker. He runs it hard. were in the process of putting a role bar on it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some guy got this big framed picture for my dad at a Flea market. We don't know much about it other than its at Eldora.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all your posts guys.
    Great REFERENCES!

Joshua Shaw

15. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Thanks for the pix, Josh!

16. racer5c

racer5c

yellow 43 midget in the Nance ad is Richard Powell of Enid Oklahoma, if I remember right he was 1973 or 74 usac midget rookie of the year

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Nice!

To be honest.. Dads car is a "Maxwell". But as I understand it, Maxwell was one of the main fabricators at NANCE and he built cars of his own on Nance jigs... Looks that way to us..

Any info on that guys?

18. I can't comment on Maxwell being employed at Nance but the Maxwell cars from the '70's looked like this. They were very popular in the midwest....Knoxville especially.

Attached Files:

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

FWIW- While Maxwell may have worked for Nance at some point in time, by the late 60s- early 70s he was building cars of his own design in Lincoln Neb. In fact Doug Wolfgangs day job in the early 70s was welding up frames for Maxwell and Speedy Bill's 4X that Opp wheeled, during that time frame, was a Maxwell.

20. richcraft.spl

richcraft.spl

The Ron Hart big car is still alive !! We are going to try to make some laps at the hooser 100 this year !
    [​IMG]

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wow, looks to be in very good shape, should be a fun build. What's the history?

22. 8889coupe

8889coupe

car belonged to my father Ron Hart, some of the drivers included johnny reatherford and also pat patrick, car has been sitting around for many years, after my father passed away josh and dan shaw did some stripping to it they did a great job, also have a sprint car that was ran around the same era, in fact Bob Harkey is coming to town wednesday to spend the day with me, he has a lot of history on my cars, he drove for my dad for two years.... i hope my dad will be happy now that his cars are coming back to life... i couldnt do without the help of Mike Whitney...

23. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

These pics are all amazing, but this one should be in my garage. If it were I'd have a comfortable chair set up so I could just sit and look at it. It's sweet!!

[​IMG]

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Take lots of pics, and post them, as you go through it, I for one would love to see em. Great piece of history.

25. McKee

McKee

HOW Spl.

Attached Files:

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Car looks great Ronnie. All dad and I did was re-letter some names that had been worn off.. (Its all they needed) They have been kept in great shape.

NOW.. I have said it before, and you have heard it from Mike.. And now I'm saying it in writing... DONT YOU DARE EVER RESTORE THOSE CARS!! There only original once. restoring them will only devalue them. Get them running, make some laps.. But PLEASE!! DONT TOUCH THEM!

Joshua Shaw.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That stood for Hell On Wheels.. (No shit)

28. 8889coupe

8889coupe

Thanks josh for the input, im not going to change anything i just want to get them running, now i have my new shop built i can really start working on them, im apologize for everything that happened over those tires, i just had shit everywhere and i really had no idea what all i had, im hoping by summer i will have both cars and my trailer all put back together, im just really excited about getting to meet and hang out with Bob Harkey on wednesday im sure it will be a great time...

29. richcraft.spl

richcraft.spl

April 1967 Bob Pratt behind the wheel of the ron harts sprinter at Reading and Eldora
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. richcraft.spl

richcraft.spl