Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

They built them that way up here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad to hear it, we're all just here for the cool photos and history, not drama.

No PMS for me either... I hear it's no fun!

What are you doing with the hood star? I actually bought that blue wagon specifically for the star, I was told the rest of the car was too far gone, got it home and I see it has no floor rust at all, and very little body rust or damage, just most of the glass is bad.

Did you get some of the gauges from Stan Reynolds yard? (What is the one with the inverted triangle speedo? He had one I was going to buy and it was sold before I got the chance) As for the rest I can identify all of them if you need, I see a 35 Terraplane one in there too... I have a nice one in my 35 Terraplane too!

More Canadian variants!

1947 Monarch
    [​IMG]

1949 Meteor
    [​IMG]

1949 Meteor
    [​IMG]

1949 Monarch
    [​IMG]

1949 Monarch
    [​IMG]

1950 Monarch
    [​IMG]

1951 Meteor
    [​IMG]

1951 Monarch
    [​IMG]

1956 Meteor Rideau sedan
    [​IMG]

1958 Meteor Ranchero (super rare)
    [​IMG]

1960 Meteor, that grill is a huge cast piece.
    [​IMG]

2. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I am pretty sure that the continental kits were a factory option on the Ambassador and the Americans in '58. I can recall seeing that option fairly often on those.

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for this, Olmon. I think this helps prove that Doble's designs had the auto and aero steam apps down. This, even though working prototypes still couldn't attract sufficient capital for regular (or profitable!) production.:(

I read a while back that, after leaving the auto business, at least two of the Doble brothers (Abner included) took their steam knowledge global, selling their services as hired guns. I believe it was Abner who created a successful steam aero prototype; and, if I'm not mistaken:rolleyes:, that was in Germany.

I'd not heard of the Besslers' efforts, so this is interesting news.:eek: And, I do think the Doble and Bessler endeavors were two individual projects, not directly related in any sense. If anybody has MORE info or clarification on steam airplanes, I, for one, would love to hear it!:D

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

LN& said: They built them that way up here!

Jimi: Ry, now THAT is a pleasant surprise!:) I don't know why it never crossed my thick brain before that the Crown Vic would, of course, have been replicated -- "Meteor-style" in Canada. NOT a dream car at all . . . REAL!!!:eek: And cool as hell, too! The grill just complements the rest of the trim scheme.:cool:

And, not to belabor the point at all: Like the fancier of the '56 DeSotos, the headlight bezels on the Ford (and T-Bird) border on styling perfection! IMO, the near-perfect accent.:cool: (End of the line, too:(, since all the companies went in new directions in '57.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ryan, ALSO THANKS for all the other ads in Post #27,447! I love the "Lincolnesque" touches
    on the Monarchs, especially. If these could have been put in a time capsule and broken out
    TODAY at shows and runs, guys would rave, since they seem like great "factory" customs, as is!

[​IMG]

Don, Doc, NovaDude, et.al., a BIG 10-4 back at 'cha:D on the Korea pix! One war of many, but it's the one people wanted to forget, even as it was being fought! For the sailors, flyboys and the grunts on the ground (read that COLD ground!), war is f---in' war, regardless of where or when. Grueling business. And when you see pics of guys in, or fresh back from, combat, it's amazing to think that only CIVILIANS suffered as much. That, too, is war. With increased mechanization and war technology after about 1900, civilian death tolls steadily grew, then rocketed, decade by decade, war by war. It's no ill reflection upon civilians to say that only warriors can know the real face of war, and maybe that's a good thing. But those of us who have not had to fight can at least get a glimmer by seeing the photos and films of combat and devastation.:(

I'm sorry the photo of the little Korean girl didn't appear. But, anyway, I stress that the pics of war that I post are not intended to sensationalize, shock, nor to glorify war. They are, instead, to recognize human sacrifice:) and to help underscore why we don't WANT war.:p No irony there! Warriors -- be they regular GIs, marines, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, or part of the vast but necessary rear-echelon army of logiscial, technical and medical support -- don't want war, either. At bloody Fredericksburg when the Army of Northern Virginia was actively kicking the butts of Burnside's federal forces, Robert E. Lee took no joy in the carnage, turned to Lt. Gen. James Longstreet and said," It is well that war is so terrible, or we might grow to love it." But as the U.S. Marines say, "Nobody wants to fight, but somebody had better know HOW.":mad:

Yes, unfortunately, wars -- and peacetime preparedness -- are part of the "big-picture" tapestry of real life, real history:eek: that we've been revisiting on this great thread. To echo LN7: "We're all just here for the cool photos and history, not drama.";)

So, July 4 is a good time to remember the vets and to THANK all the men and women currently in uniform. God Bless Them ALL.:cool:

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Cool pic, Olman! AND that sparked an interesting exchange (one of the keenest things about this thread! :D
    One pic or idea sparking another, then another!:cool: ). AND it got me to really thinking about Continental Kits.

It surely does seem, to me, that the Con Kits were WAY more ubiquitous on '55 to '58 Nash products and
    '55-6 Hudson Hashes than just about any other makes.:rolleyes: But then, the Nash-led styling three NEEDED accents
    and features to set them apart, right? Anybody else have a thought (or more OLD pix of Continental Kits)???
    Of course, I mean FACTORY-installed:cool:, but let's not rule out entirely the ubiquitous AFTER-market ones!

[​IMG]

6. noboD

noboD

Amen to the comments on war. This weekend is the anniversary of one the worst battles the country ever fought, Gettysburg. More US soldiers killed in three days then in all of Viet Nam. Have a safe fourth. Thanks to all that serve.

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

It's hard to tell from this ad if the taillights on these cars were the same as a Mercury. It almost looks like they were vertical.

8. ItsLUCKY

ItsLUCKY

9. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Off the top of my head I cannot recall specific differences, but they re not vertical. I have a buddy with 6 Monarchs in town, I'll have to ask him or his GF (she's on the HAMB)

10. 474218

I was stationed at Beale AFB from April 1965 to Febuary 1969. I was assigned to 4200th (later 9th) Field Maintenance Squadron (Sheet Metal Shop) working on SR-71 right out of Tech School.

My father-in-law worked for Lockheed, he was hired because of his size. He was small enough that he could fit in to the A-12 nacells with the spike on, to check for FOD prior to takeoffs.

11. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

12. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

17. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

18. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kieth I don't know if it's just me, but post #27463 #27466 are the only pictures to show up the rest are red X's.
    I do hope the show up though, you post some great pic's.

Doc.

22. Grandprix63

Grandprix63
    from Sweden

Here's photo from 1934 of my grandfathers car, which I think was a Morris.

[​IMG]

Here's the same car, a year after...

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if my granddad is considered to be a a hot rodder
    but he removed the fenders, built a boattail rear end and
    chopped the windscreen.
    Don't know if he did anything with the engine, but it believe it was a fourbanger.

[​IMG]

Here he is, Gustav Andersson, some twenty years later with his 1950 Opel.
    Too bad, he passed away when I was a kid so I'd never had the chance to ask him about his old cars.

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Unfortunately, same problem here.:eek:

24. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Bummer...........ok hang fire..........

25. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

can you see me now..................????

[​IMG]

26. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

27. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

28. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

29. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Excellent! Don't know what you changed, Keith, but pics are showing GREAT now -- hopefully will for Doc, too. But he's probably in the middle of the night where he is now, so we'll surely here from him a bit later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.