Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dandenong Victoria Australia late 30's 14732201_1811864059028100_6495958203501652483_n.jpg

2. swi66

swi66

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

4. loudbang

loudbang

Back in the day strip promoters have the featured cars line up so spectators could see them

The scene is the hot car staging lanes at the 1968 U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis, when AA/FD and A/FD entries prepare for a run at the Big Go. Dominating the photo is the famed Ramchargers dragster, which Chuck Kurzawa drove to the No. 3 qualifying spot that year. Kurzawa was preceded in the car by the likes of Merek Chertkow, Joe Schubeck, Don Westerdale, and Don Yates and followed by Leroy Goldstein, who in 1969 won the NHRA Division 3 Top Fuel championship in the car before moving on to pilot the team's Funny Car.

lineup1.jpg

Same place, three years later, and you can see that the rear-engine cars are starting to show up. That's Jack Hart's Golddigger (driver Curtis Huffer) back-motor machine, second from the bottom alongside the Jade Grenade slingshot. That's then-National Dragster Editor Bill Holland chatting with some of the drivers in the lower right.

lineup2.jpg

The staging lanes at then Pomona Raceway were packed with all manner of race cars at the season opener in sunny Southern California.

lineup3.jpg

Southern California's famed Orange County Int'l Raceway played host to a regular series of high-volume Funny Car shows. The promoters would tow all of the cars onto the track and have them all fire up at the same time, a precursor to today's popular Cacklefests. Visible in this photo from the 1968 Manufacturers Meet are, near side, the machines of Charlie Allen (All-American Boy), Dee Keaton (Keaton's Cougar), "Jungle Jim" Liberman, Steve Bovan (Blair's Speed Shop), Al Vanderwoude (Flying Dutchman), Gene Snow (Rambunctious), Rich Siroonian ("Big John" Mazmanian), Ray Alley (Engine Masters), Leonard Hughes (Candies & Hughes), and others.

lineup4.jpg

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Paramount Theatre building still exists and was acquired by the City of Portland in the early 1980s. After extensive refurbishing, it reopened in 1984 as the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, home of the Oregon Symphony. The City owns the building which is part of the Portland Center for the Performing Arts. The marquee was restored to the original theatre name: "Portland."

I love the feel of these old buildings.
    I was there two weeks ago for the Symphony (not my regular genre musically).
    Jason Alexander of Seinfeld fame sang Broadway with comedic abandon.

6. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

That's me in the Orange shirt, while on a camping trip to "Huckleberry Mountain", in the "Rogue River National Forest", Oregon. My aunt was a Klamath Indian elder, who actually lived in the area, and was the forest fire watcher at the Huckleberry Mtn. lookout station when people still lived in them, or beneath the shadow of them for months. We used to camp there every year, and pick huckleberries, and listen to her tell stories from the 1920's & 30's and her rustic lifestyle as a lonesome, widowed lady who was a crack-shot with a rifle, who wore logging boots, and as a forest fire watcher, while she filled us up with venison and wild Huckleberry jam on biscuits non-stop.....the lookout was destroyed in 1960, but it was an area we always went when the berries were still on the bushes and the animals hadn't got to them....a big point of our year in the family 007.jpg

7. TheDevilsRide

TheDevilsRide

110d1bd196612a7bbfa89fec3cdad6b7.jpg I like windy days, the smell of 90 weight gear oil, and a good read.

8. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Yep, awesome facility. I was there last Wednesday night for the Tony Bennett performance. We should all be so fortune to be going as strong as he is when we're his age. Kinda scratched my head a little when I saw the Jason Alexander thing in the symphony program for the month Doug. Even my 78 year old mother said "wtf".

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

JOYFLEA likes this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I saw Roy Orbison there in '88, a month or so before he passed. What a show !

10. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Isn't this Jungle Pam?

hendelec likes this.
  11. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

12. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Ah yes, Marty Strode. Hair like Justin Bieber, sings like Roy Orbison 1477699648074.jpg

loudbang, Bomb and tommyd like this.
  13. noboD

noboD

YES it is!!

loudbang likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You and me both Larry.
    I got to go in place of my wife as she was visiting relates.
    I googled him as you should, very funny five minute video of him joking that "this woman" did not know he sang, FUNNY. The guy is multi talented.

15. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

I'm sure somewhere on YouTube is the video of his McDonald's commercial he did pre Seinfeld. It's for whatever burger that was you had to assemble yourself. "The hot stay's hot, the cool stay's cool".

17. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

[​IMG]

Hey asshole, get your feet off the damn car and get off yer cell phone!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS, charleyw, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  18. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

I'll be darned, he can sign... hilarious. We're definitely OT with this one. Thanks bud

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Sing, he can sing. Damn auto correct and bourbon...

fatiredflyer likes this.
  20. JD Miller

JD Miller

"Hey asshole, get your feet off the damn car"...

My exact thought when I first saw that picture...

And I thought that might be a rich spoiled Kennedy

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Trojan Horse and loudbang like this.
  21. It is. That's Robert K in 1960.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Johnny99

Johnny99

My best buddy and brother from another mother Dave, his mom, nieces, nephew, and his 55 in the background circa 1968. According to Dave his casual attire attests to the fact that he was able to con his dear mother in to letting him skip church that day!

Dave 68.jpg

Samj, Raiman1959, biscaynes and 3 others like this.
  23. jroberts

jroberts

[​IMG]

he 1957 Town Sedan bore the Packard name, but the design and manufacturer was Studebaker all the way through.

willy1947, Bomb and loudbang like this.
  24. I miss the Rising Star concerts at the Paramount - I saw the Police there for 99 cents.

25. Bobby Darin?

gas pumper likes this.
  26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.