Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

That makes sense. You could not operate a team of horses from an enclosed wagon (or it would be difficult ). Thus, the design carried on. I was referring more to the later years, say the 20's and 30's and some even later but I presume it was the fashion up until that time.

Thanks for you interesting post.

3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. swi66

swi66

7. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

8. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I'm a few days behind, but where's Waldo and the Corvair in this one, huh.......? (or should that be eh? for our yupper colleagues)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Posted by SWI
    [​IMG]

Wild pic, Gary! :D I get aero and lightening your car, but couldn't this guy have achieved BOTH
    just by losing the fenders? :confused:

10. WPA Workers, late 30s
    [​IMG]

11. 1942 Studebaker Ad
    [​IMG]

12. This Stude Ad from 1944:
    [​IMG]

13. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

[​IMG]
    My pinup on a bike!

14. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

This is one of two interesting gasoline alley photos, that are circa 1930 and taken in the city of Toronto, Canada. In the photo (above) are signs for; The Brooks Garage, Meakers Tire Shop and the Toronto Brake Service and gasoline station.

The Canadian Engineer reported in 1932 about the building above: The old church building at 137 Richmond St. West, now occupied by the Toronto Brake Service, is being demolished to make way for a modernly equipped brake service and gasoline station. You can see 100's more gasoline station photos on The Old Motor.

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

They tell us that spring is on the way and Joe Sonderman has come up with this neat photo proving it. The photo shows us an Oldsmobile sedan pulling a Chamber of Commerce entry in a local parade, with a novel way of going fishing on the roof.

The photo was taken in Camdenton, MO., at the junction of US 54 and MO 5, near the Lake of the Ozarks. We will let our readers date and tell us what model the Olds is.

The photo is courtesy of Joe Sonderman who has a Route 66 photo collection that we have been posting in a series.

16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

With engine technology making leaps forward with the late Hemi and Max Wedge's, not to mention Hi Risers and Square ported BB's, transmission technology was lagging.
    In an effort to make the their brand competitive in the automatic classes of Stock and Super Stock, Mope engineers told drivers to stage the car at the starting line with brakes applied in Neutral. At the last light they were to floor the accelerator while they simultaneously released the brake and pushed the D button on the dash, and not to worry because that transmission had been field tested in the trucking industry.

After a couple weekends of numerous incidents like this documented one, racing sanctioning bodies instituted safety shielding and soon to come SEMA blanket requirements while the engineers suddenly changed focus and hurried release of the new J style torque convertor.

I personally had a C-6 explode in a dragster when line pressure in it went to the stratosphere.
    The sound still haunts me today. Tom S. in Tn.

[​IMG]

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Cord: Because nothing says confidence and power like hygiene and a supercharged 170-hp V-8 and four-speed, right? ;)

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Tom, that's a GREAT piece of first-hand history there on performance tranny development! Thanks, buddy.:D

19. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

20. Jokester

Jokester

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.