Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

you can still ride this very train. It's located at the Illinois Train Museum in Union Illinois. They just recently had an excursion from Chicago to St. Louis and back. I rode this on the museum grounds on their very short line. Although old, it's seats are still comfortable and the AC still works.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Carsten, YOU are living proof that the TRAD 'rodding & custom movement is alive and well, now worldwide! :cool: Let's all tip a bowler to Norm Grabowski while we're at it. ;) He was by no means the first rodder, but he noodled out the shortbed T-bucket that helped the movement along during the REAL "Horsepower Race" in the '50s.

And, yes, THANKS for the well-wishes for those who've lost lives and property in the mind-boggling storm on the U.S. East Coast. :eek: We'll keep on a' keepin' on, as all nations will in this worldwide economic slog we all seem to be caught in. Heck, we've seen worse, right? ;)

3. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

You see, my dear, when working on the rod, always wear safety gloves to protect your fingers.

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

MotorCityDeuce...I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking #3 was Mickey Mantle, but he didn't start 'til 51, DiMaggio's last year, and Joe looks pretty young here. So I did some more digging when you said Lou Gehrig. I google him and found the link to the image from LOC. http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hec.22989/

Plenty of basehits in these bats. Washington D.C., July 7. A million dollar base-ball flesh is represented in these sluggers of the two All- Star Teams which met in the 1937 game at Griffith Stadium today. Left to right: Lou Gehrig, Joe Cronin, Bill Dickey, Joe DiMaggio, Charley Gehringer, Jimmie Foxx, and Hank Greenberg, 7/7/37

[​IMG]

5. She was in a berth on Lake Union, across from the Silver Cloud. Inmyarrogentopinion, the best hotel in Seattle.
    I was up there last June, and she was gone.

6. Jim, thanks to you, bud! over here we're glad to have not such storms you are having all the season, but call me c-a-razy or not, i'm watching news each day only to take a look what's going up at your country. Germany is not as interesting as it should be to me.. i feel so sorry for all the U.S. people that are loosing so much of their 'so-many'... i have to work hard for each penny i'm gonna spend on my car, it's a real low-buck-built, but it's comin' out really nice in my opinion, i can feel really well what folks over there are going thru when they've been hit by storm, flood or whatever. thanks again, so nice to know you.

7. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

We were not allowed to sit on our butts, but some of us still got fat. I played little league, rode my bike, hiked in the woods and pretty much walked everywhere we went. Maybe only had a Pepsi as a treat once a week. My parents did not give out rides when we asked. Of course we did not have video games or did texting...hell, I wasn't even allowed to use the phone until I was 15. I never even tasted a Mc Donalds burger and fries until I was 19. I was the neighborhood fat kid. What I did have was the type of family that expressed love through food. Lots of things fried or baked like bread and pies. In the 50s and 60s, nobody really knew about healthy eating. In the part of the family that farmed, my grandfather worked a team of horses to plow until he bought his first tractor after WWII. He was skinny as a rail and lived into his 90s. He ate lard sandwiches sprinkled with sugar everyday. We've all known the person who could pack it away like nobodies business and never gain an ounce. My own father who had diabetes (I found this out after he died, never did he tell anyone) ate mostly veggies and fish and the occasional beer...he died when he was 64 of congestive heart failure.

8. scrubba

scrubba

Hey Airgitair, gret to hear from ya first off.

Look, as a kid , I mowed lawns, trimmed brush and even did windows as young as 10. I had several tree houses too. Shoot ,as soon as school was out , I was building on one of them . By the time I was 14, I was actually helping a neighborhood mechainic to over haul Model T Fords . That car now resides in a Meusuiem in Richmond Virginia . I taught myself minor body and fender soon after I got a licence to drive . I took Metal working classes in Jounior high school. The teacher was amazed at me wanting to learn mold making techniques and welding . I never let go of those skills either . Even today with breathing problems and Arthritis , I still do some fabricationg on old cars , just like in the old days ! scrubba

9. WCD

WCD

Though I am a hard core drag race guy, I have always appreicated low riders. Attended a few public shows back in the 70's. Wasnt Gypsy Rose considered the preimere low rider, or most famous anyway. I had the Low Rider article too back in what 79 or 80?

10. abc123

abc123

Thanks for coming back with the source but the source is wrong. That information is for a streetcar-looking vehicle that ran on rails. The photo of the car looks like a parade vehicle of some sort or was custom-made for somebody who really liked trains. I couldn't find the real information but I'm sure that it will surface. Sure looks interesting!

11. swi66

swi66

12. swi66

swi66

13. swi66

swi66

14. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Marlene Dietrich
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. swi66

swi66

16. swi66

swi66

17. Jose85

Jose85

Studebaker Champion with an European body?-photo from an eBay auction

Attached Files:

18. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

This photo of the Shaw Bros. Motor service was taken in Tulsa and includes Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys bus. We have links to many more photos of this neat building and another photo and full info on the Playboys a The Old Motor.

19. staleg

staleg

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

OR:

"My, my! What lovely hands you have!
    Where did you get them???":D

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

THANKS, 327!!! You said it about hits and run production! :eek: Everybody please NOTICE some things, too. No pine tar, no batting gloves, no beards, no hair statement hanging out from their caps, no earrings, and they (thank God) knew the PROPER way to wear baseball pants ;)and stirrups. They got their stats by the rulebook, didn't use PEDs, and the ball wasn't a rabbit like today's. Oh! One other thing: They were TEAM players:cool:, not prima donnas.

22. removed

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  23. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Can't be Betty White...she has two legs.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yowsaaa! Hey, Ron, you gonna take the show on the ROAD???:p:p I'll be the setup man!:rolleyes:

25. Andy

Andy

I can't identify the aircraft. Foreign? Looks like Lockheed flaps? It is not a 247.

26. Andy

Andy

This is the trimotor at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington

27. froghawk

froghawk

Lockheed Model 14 "Super Electra" (military bomber version was the "Hudson.")

Attached Files:

28. jchav62

jchav62

Nevada and Arizona

Attached Files:

29. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

30. Bringing change to America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.