Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

2. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Ok, I recognize the C-47, B-17, & the B-29. But what's the six prop monster next to 'em?????

3. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

b-36

4. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Never seen one. Thanx.

5. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

I know you are not old enough, but it is the most wounderful sound I have ever hear in my life. As a young person it was a great day when I heard and felt the vibration from the over flight.

6. 11E

11E
    from USA

Nice footage from Jimmy Stewart in "Strategic Air Command". Be sure to view full screen. Incredibly capacious interior, built to carry the early deliverable thermonuclear, of which one was nearly the size of the B17 fuselage and all a B-36 could carry.

Notice particularly the takeoff roll and all the other planes clearly made visible on the ramps. A similar scene with dozens of B-47's are visible from from the tower appear later in the film. This was all not so much for the benefit of the American audience as it was for the "probable enemy" who was deliberately getting exposure to the expanse of the fleet presumably available for "delivery" of the payloads.

The cutaway cockpit of the B-47 from later in the film is viewable at the museum at March AFB near Riverside, CA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wvEzhyY9F4

7. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

Thanks so much for the link to that video! That is so cool. Back in the early '80's when we were living in Arlington, TX, there was a B-36 on stationary display right off Collins Rd near the 183 freeway and I drove past it twice daily. It was eventually restored and flown out and I regret that we had moved away before that. It would have been something to see that flying in person.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. Bet there's a great story to go with this pic.....

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP!---Thats when we all rode our Whizzers & Cushmans to school in 1947.:D:D

Attached Files:

10. swi66

swi66

11. swi66

swi66

12. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    West side of Main St. Middleport NY
    [​IMG]
    Near the canal, Middleport

13. swi66

swi66

14. B-36 Peacemakers were in the Air Force fleet until about 1959-60. The picture posted is an early one, later 36s were fitted with 2 each jet engines on each wing to increase the aircraft's power and especially its takeoff capability. I was in the Air Force after it was phased out but worked with a few older career guys that remembered them. They said the B-36s were very high maintenance and very LOUD. One is on display at the Air Force Museum @ Wright Patterson AFB, OH.

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Lots of folks who follow this thread like to see the unvarnished (and un-tattooed!) beauties
    of the past. :D Me too! Comedienne Marie Wilson is rarely mentioned, however, she was
    gorgeous enough to have been one of the GIs', airmen's, sailors' and marines' favorite
    pinup girls during WWII. There are lots of photos and a ton of info on her on the 'net, but
    I'll just let this pic give testimony for now. :cool:

Marie was in a couple score of films, as well as starring in a long-running radio broadcast,
    "My Friend Irma," as well as two film versions of "Irma" in '49 and '50 (which, incidentally,
    were Martin & Lewis' first movie appearances!:eek:). No dummy in real life, Wilson helped
    create the buxom "dumb blonde" stereotype, adopted by so many female entertainers
    from the 1930s onward. And that's a long list.

16. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Attached Files:

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

These Cushman photos remind me of my days in the USAF, at what was then the Army Language School (now the Defense Language Institute) in Monterey. We used to rent those things downtown and cruise all over the peninsula. That was in the spring of 1957.

And as for the B-36, I think you could feel one coming before you heard it.

18. biscaynes

biscaynes

19. cpdgreg

cpdgreg
    BANNED

The C-47 (DC-3) was made by Douglas. Those all look to be Boeing planes in the photo. Not sure what designation the twin engine personnel transport is, but it's not a C-47.

The B-36 was called the Peacemaker. To see one in person is really something. I had to march underneath one everyday on my way to meteorology school at Chanute AFB when I was in the Navy.

20. Was that a partial vinyl top on that 59 or a sunroof like the 50"s Vicky's?

21. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

It was just the way the trim split the color on some 1959 Chryslers...

[​IMG]

22. 11E

11E
    from USA

The B36 was built by Convair, so it's not an all-Boeing show.

Neither is the twin a Boeing 247 because the tail is wrong (and it's just not as graceful as a 247 generally). Doesn't look like a Martin much, either.

23. Andy

Andy

I think the twin is a B-18. It was a lash up job by taking a DC-3 wing and horizontal and adding a bomber fuselage. Only a few built. I think it was in competition with the early B-17 which was almost cancelled due to the cost. Built by Douglas.

24. It's B-18 Bolo, the Air Corps selected it as THE bomber in the late 30's!
    Quite a few were made, they were used mostly for coastal recon when the shooting started. It was indeed a derivative of the DC-3/C-47

25. Here a nice B-18 at the USAF Museum
    [​IMG]

26. Here's the B-18 Bolo in the USAF Museum

[​IMG]

27. Yaws Drive In-Portland Oregon

[​IMG]

28. ..can't wait to get back into history lesson... man, did i say that? school is long ago, times 're changing. so nice to learn something new every minute here, never saw the B-18, thanks, Andy!

29. 11E

11E
    from USA

Good call, thanks. I was aware of the B-18, but it wasn't even coming to mind.

I would have thought a Lockheed Electra derivative (Hudson/Ventura) would have been more attractive than the B-18, though commonality with C-47 bits (and that wing) probably made it a better bomber.

Oh, well, Douglas found plenty to do when the shootin' started, anyway.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.