Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

1. ^^^^^Oh man, I was on the floor without even reading a word posted. :D

2. This entire thread is a great slice of history. But when a bit of family heritage or references to known persons, places of events are made, it's even better.
    thanks for sharing!

3. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Agreed...those were great MrModelT...thanks for sharing them!!:cool:
    Feel free to share more if you have them...please!

4. chip chipman

chip chipman

A Rambler!!!

5. +42

When I look at these photos that are simply posted with no references, they're just images. But when someone takes the time to note who, where, and/or when, they become living pictures that teach us about what was happening in our history.

6. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I've been rather busy the last few days so I have not had a chance to post.
    Here are a few to keep the ball rolling.

7. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

One more should do it?
    Hope everyone finds something to enjoy.

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by jimandsharynp [​IMG]
    What did they call those riding toys that you pulled and pushed and didn't peddle?
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nice timing there, Chip! :D You saw the opportunity and went for it.
    Where's the drummer with a rim shot when you need him??? :rolleyes:

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by raceron1120 [​IMG]
    This entire thread is a great slice of history. But when a bit of family heritage or references to known persons, places of events are made, it's even better.
    thanks for sharing!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Quote NitroBrother

+42
    When I look at these photos that are simply posted with no references, they're just images. But when someone takes the time to note who, where, and/or when, they become living pictures that teach us about what was happening in our history.

Jimi: Amen! History was taught in a dry, boring way back when we were in high school. :mad: Dog's thread makes it interactive and brings it to life. :cool: I'm sure he didn't know that it was going to take on a life and character of its own, back when he did Post #1!

As with the flag discussion, the communication about what was HAPPENING in a given photo makes for a very informative, enjoyable experience. :) I'm always amazed at the KNOWLEDGE in the HAMB community, and the pix provide the key to some truly enriching interchanges! :eek:

KEEP the photos coming and, PLEASE, include any known ID's, dates, locations, etc.! :eek: AN ADDED BENEFIT is that even a simple caption or word then makes that photo SEARCHABLE when you want to go back and find it! :D Those extra minutes you spend doing a post are greatly appreciated. THANKS, all!

10. MrModelT

MrModelT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I shall do! I have a large collection of these, so I will be sure to post more soon!

11. scrubba

scrubba

Jimi, you add a helluva lot to this forum to brutha. Keep it up ! scrubba

12. A very rare (today) Walker DynaMotive Gas/Electric delivery truck. These had a really interesting , but brief history. Here's a little article on the only known one in captivity.
    I accidentally spotted it during a visit to the NATMUS museum storage basement a few years ago, and later Jay was able to get a hold of it and restore it. His restoration is flawless.

http://www.jcristmuseum.org/walker.SHTML

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  13. MrModelT

MrModelT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As promised, a few more from the family album:

Great-Grandpa Charles and Grandpa Fred pouring concrete at my father's boyhood home that they built in 1939.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grandpa Fred with "favorite School teacher" sometime before 1920
    [​IMG]

Grandpa Fred, Great-Uncles Richard and Harold, Great-Grandpa Charles and Great-Grandma Katie at the "Vista House"..Crown Point, in the Columbia River Gorge. Circa 1920
    [​IMG]

Some sort of youth retreat sometime during WWI. Grandpa Fred is seated at left and Great Aunt Nioma is standing, back row..second from left.
    [​IMG]

The Paddison Family home, circa 1913. Grandpa Fred and Great-Aunt Nioma are seen in the photo with the family dog. There is a great story about that Dog. My grandfather would tie baloney skins together into a long "string"...feed it to the dog, and then slowly pull it back out and repeat :D

...He said the dog just loved it and would smile the whole time. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Great-Grandma Katie and Grandpa Fred, at "Vista House" Circa 1920
    [​IMG]

"Snow shoeing" in Washington State 1924. Grandpa Fred (at right) and Great-Grandpa Thomas H. Stevenson (at left).
    [​IMG]

Grandpa Fred and Great-Grandpa Charles working on the Family "Ranch" in Estacada, Oregon during WWI. The truck is a 1916-18 GMC K-19. Gr-Grandpa Charles never really got the hang of the whole "driving a car" thing. If he wanted to stop, he would simply run it into a ditch or a tree....so my Grandfather always drove. When they abandoned the farm to come to Portland....they just left this truck sitting in the barn, Grandpa was always upset about that. Wonder where it is now.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy! :D

14. NOTGETTINGRICH

NOTGETTINGRICH
    from WA State

The design is timeless and very attractive but unfortunately it is too small to be practical these days.

15. Mike

Mike

I reckon that lovely bunch doesn't have to worry much about "lip touching".

16. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

The below paragraph is from a US flag etiquette site...
    Is it appropriate to fly a flag that has fewer than 50 stars? Yes. Official United States flags are always considered living, active flags. From the Betsy Ross flag to the present 50-star flag, any flag that at some time was the official flag is still considered a living flag to be accorded all due respect.

17. ehdubya

ehdubya

Can anyone tell us what these are?

[​IMG]

18. drofrockology

drofrockology

very cold rides.

19. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

My first thought was they gotta be crazy Russians. Then I Googled and found this.

Russian TB-3

20. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

Can't wait to get there,
    [​IMG]

21. ehdubya

ehdubya

[​IMG]

Thanks 327-365hp, my first thought was this...

[​IMG]

22. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

23. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Time to toss a few more out

24. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Workin' in St. Louis...

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I didn't realize they still had the swimming pool in 1964 , I thought it was gone before that.
    Learn something new every day.

26. fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

also notable for either dihedral or anhedral - neither of which in the photo so i think helldiver is a better guess

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  27. 4everblue

4everblue

Post 31704....what kind of car is the sedan in the Coon Chicken photo? The fenders look like they are cut out.

28. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Here is the photo in question
    [​IMG]

29. ehdubya

ehdubya

It looks like a Lincoln Zephyr sans spats.

30. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

More views of the Curtiss Wright factory and A 25 Helldivers and AT 9 trainers and the dedicated workers...