Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Go-Karts

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by VonMoldy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. troylee

troylee

I sold my scca corvette race car this year. I am planning to get into vintage karts. Mostly due to a customer of mine Scott Klingler. He and his dad have been racing these for years. I too am leaning to a muti engine kart old and fat need more power.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have a '70s or early eighties Manco fun cart. Not anywhere close to the true vintage Rupps or Darts or Macs and stuff, but god, what fun! We actually have a pretty big vintage kart community here in Phoenix, but those guys are a bit to serious for me. What I would love to see happen is racing for just basic Briggs and Stratton type karts like mine. I'm sure if the class were limited in some way to keep it low end, it would be a perfect jumping off point for those that want to get serious, but still a bunch of fun for dorks like me! I have less than 200.00 dollars in my kart, and so far everyone I know has ridden it at some point or another.
    I see the date on the original post on this is from a couple of years ago, if any body out there wants some dimensions on a basic Kart like mine, I'm happy to sit down and make some measurements and draw something up.

Attached Files:

3. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Mine is for sale with out the motor and steering wheel PM me if your interested in it

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      244.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      223 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      254.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      250.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  4. [​IMG]

I LOVE Briggs Flatheads. Being 16, their cheap to build, and fast as hell.

dsiddons likes this.
  5. jmon77

jmon77
    from Tennessee

I don't have any pictures of it, but my dad still has his Sears & Roebuck cart from the late 50's he got as a kid. Yep it still runs today!

6. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Here are the pic that were sent to me by a guy that raced for the guy that built my kart

By the look of the seat I think mine maybe the #74 in the middle pic all the pic I have seen the way the twister is on the seat are different

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      57.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      43.5 KB
      Views:
  7. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

My Dad bought me this when I was 13. I had some fun with it but then got distracted from it when I turned 16. This had a 5 hp Briggs, but the guy we bought it from had rebuilt the motor and it had some wicked compression. This guy was a wiz with small engines, he built a Briggs with a dual carb set-up. Unfortunately he committed suicide and passed away before we could try the dual carbs.

Attached Files:

Sid E. Burns likes this.
  8. I wish the north tx karters would start a vintage class. I ran sprint sit up at Henderson and Hallet as well as whizzer and the ntk track.

9. joel torres

joel torres

since this is subject is brought up i have three vintage karts im saving for later me and my boy are going to have a blast
    [​IMG]

10. The wife and I have been doing this for a number of years .
    They are a blast to run .
    Here is are some pics of our green 61 Fox kart . It runs a full house stroked AH61 Power Products.
    It took outstanding in class at the 2010 World of Wheels show
    in St. Paul Mn.
    The red one is our 61 Simplex that runs mild dual AH58 Power products.

Attached Files:

Sid E. Burns and Ebbspeed like this.
  11. 4t7flat

4t7flat

This thread brings back a lot of memories,from the days when my son was racing Karts (83 to 94). We started with an out dated first generation kart,we got from another old time racer. We quickly replaced that with a mid 70's Margay(won the Flat Rock championship with it). Went on to regional racing with a new Coyote Bullet,in 4 cycle JR. After that we moved up to enduro racing in the laydown karts. We had $3000.invested in our sprint kart,and$8000. in our enduro kart. I built my own 4 cycle engines,until we started to race regional,then switched to pro built engines $450-$750. A 100 CC yamaha was $1000. and and only had a competitive life span of 2 Hours. We raced at that Ohio track in the vidios.

12. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

13. That a nice fox , is it still around ?
    Brian

14. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Agreed!!! Id like to ad that one to the collection as well!!

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Any chance it's a single large "tube" for a main chassis rail? The old Sera and Roebuck cart I had had solid tires and a single tube connecting the axles; in the middle is was "slip jointed" together, and had an elongated through hole for a bolt/washers/nut. The slip joint let the chassis sort of "flex" on uneven surfaces. It had a friction-paddle brake on the rear tires. I've never seen another like it, and it's been about 46 years now. It's what actually got me interested in this hobby. Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. Sannie Annie

Sannie Annie
    from Texas

I also had a '50's go kart from Sears when I was a kid. Mine was a double seater and
    I remember all the many hours my friend and I spent on that go kart. Guess I've been reminiscing too much, but I have been looking for a picture of one of these
    and have not been able to find one.
    Would you have any objection to sending me a pic of your Dad's? I would appreciate
    it very much.
    I am so glad it still runs!
    Thank you for your response!
    Sannie Annie

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  17. Sannie Annie

Sannie Annie
    from Texas

I'm just beginning to learn how this works, so I apologize to everyone for having to add something to my previous post. I thought I was responding to jmon77, the
    grenade inspector, but found that it didn't go to just him.
    So if anyone out there has a pic of a l950's Sears gokart (double seater or not) would you please respond? Thank you all very much. I've enjoyed reading all yals posts even though I no longer have a go kart. My kids did and after we were approached by the police one too many times, we sold out.

18. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Here is me in 1982 with a Bug Blackwidow, powered by a Briggs 5 horse. First Main Event win.

[​IMG]

Louie

19. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I would like to build a fairly simple kart with a 6.5hp clone motor. Anyone have dimensions for one similar to a BUG or Go-Kart 1200?

20. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Here's a pic. of a One off Micky Rupp built to race! Had twin west-bends raced at mid-Ohio in the early 70's over 100mph., I talked with him before I sold it, He even wrote me a hand signed letter to verify.... Had it for close to 30yrs. sold it to buy a 53 f-1 I bought on the evil auction site, drove out of state to pick it up, got there and the guy knew I would not want it WTF!!!! lied about all the ?'s I asked... :mad:!!!!

Attached Files:

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Got mine two years ago last week. Just a simple Manco 1" tube frame deal with a Briggs 5hp... Way too much fun!!! Honestly the best 100.00 I have ever spent in my life!

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

This is my 1963 Dart Grand Prix. Wheelbase 44", front outside tread 34", rear 36", seat heighth is 19". Reproductions from original tooling are available- Bug Karts- contact K & P Mfg in Azusa, Ca. Dart Karts- Robron Inc in North Carolina (I think). Lots of info if you google "Vintage Karts"

Attached Files:

BRENT MAGGI likes this.
  23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

This should get ya pretty close. It's in metric but thats easy enough to convert.

Attached Files:

24. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Man this kart is nice! What is the size of the tubing on that. I bought some today but I got 1 1/4" .90 wall which I think is too big diameter. I am not going for a total replica but don't want it to look like it's made of exhaust tubing either.

25. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

ones done the other is being built
    FRANK

Attached Files:

26. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Here is what is in the back of my van right now.
    1971 Mustang Junior by Conval
    Gotta paint it yellow with black highlights just like Elanor for the 1974 version of Gone in 60 seconds. Not flamed like the Shriner.

Attached Files:

27. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

I will have to dig out some parts that i have but not sure what they fit. I think the parts are for my dads full race cart he had. I have a duel carb intake some different pipes and other various things. If the replies earlier were asking if i still have my cart yes i do. Hope to build it again this year.

28. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

29. this was my brothers 1964 Cates frame with a new - from "Ward Guys" in Dallas - MC 91A motor. I got the old MC49 and swapped out the old briggs...always could out brake and pass him with that lil-49....wish I could have taken the hot laps at Wizzard with it...have a side shot somewhere....and I'm still PISSED about what happened to it - after I got it back and restored it for his 40th bithday!!!!

Scan22_0022.jpg