Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage drink holders and related accessories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, May 25, 2013.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Driving my 37 Chevy p/u home from a show today trying to drink a soft drink got me thinking were there any drink holders made way back when that would not look too out of place in a 30s truck,I know of those cheap plastic versions that clip on the door panel at the window and not even thinking about going with one of them but were there any made that I can mount to the door panel that was made many years ago and out of metal. I looked on ebay and could not come up with anything but is there anyone that has any old JC Whitney or related catalogs,if anyone has any that they are using please post some pics so I know what to look for or try to make myself.

2. hwscowboy

hwscowboy

sometimes on ebay there are the old cardboard single pop bottle holders that go on your vent window clip.i have been wanting onr for my 54 Pontiac but they usually sell around the 50 buck mark and i'm too cheap to pay that for a hunk of cardboard.But chances are i'll breakdown and buy one someday.

3. 1954chevyguy

1954chevyguy

Why not try and make one out of some aluminum rod that woukd look like a small basket like the old plans and trains had

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Here's one just installed in the Mack truck we are working on.

Attached Files:

5. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

This will hold a can best,it is an old bathroom cup holder.

6. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Ingenious!!!!

7. grazy

grazy

I was wondering if you could use an old dash mounted compass. They have that dual swivel set-up to stay level.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  8. ray

ray
    from colorado

in my bronco i mounted an old IH tractor toolbox between the seats as my console, riveted on the side is a sheetmetal ring that serves as a drink holder. it's original function was to hold an oil can on the tractor.

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Now this is what I had in mind,I will look around the garage to see if I have anything to make one with. I do know where some big old tricks are in a couple junkyards and see if they have anything that will work,it figures I just left a swapmeet when I come up with ideas like this and there could have been something there I could have used.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to look for something like this if I get lazy and do not build one,another area might be for motorcycles but I have a feeling they might be made out of plastic and not what I am after.

12. I was on crutches for a couple years after my last motorcycle race, screwed a bar bouy to my crutches. all my dr.s thought I should patent the Idea (1970's)

didn't need drink holders back in the day.. bought our beer in quart bottles that would sit real nice between your legs. I did drill two large holes in the floor so we could put our bottles in upside down when we got pulled over by the fuzz (cops):D

13. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Motorcycle accessories! They swivel and they come in chrome!

14. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Check out this web-site. The ones I like and bought for my '50 Ply. are the ones that slide into your ashtray slot in the dash. They have wire versions that hook over a window moulding or sit on top of trans. hump.

https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=51

15. grazy

grazy

An old aluminum explosion proof light guard would it be the right size ?

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I normally just put the bottle on the seat next to me but when I have a passenger it gets tight in the cab,back in the day I would just put the drink between my legs but the the steering wheel is too close to me in the 37 so that is impossible. I usually could care less about cup holders but after walking around a show most of the day its nice to drink a cold one comfortably on the way home so I am going to get a vintage looking one for the 37 and maybe a couple for the 55 since I drive it on long trips.

17. Zeke

Zeke

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think its going to be the bar buoys for me in the 37,I do not have many options for it since I can not put anything on the floor or hang from a ashtray since it does not have one.

19. Rob68

Rob68

I saw this in the Truck Shop Catalogue for my 58 F100. I couldn't find just a pic of the holder so here is the entire page. Maybe it would work? It's bottom left.

Attached Files:

20. A Boner

A Boner

Drink holders are NOT traditional. If you are building a traditional hot rod, you should not put anything in it that is not traditional. Even if it makes your hot rod more fun to drive, or more safe to drive or just easier to drive. Building a traditional hot rod is more like a restoration, or a copy of one. In the early days of hot rod building, the builders of that era used creative engineering when building their hot rods. Don't be tempted, today you should just copy everything they did, sort of restoration style, and forget about creative engineering. Even if you can design something that can be hidden when not in use. Pick an era, and don't use anything that came about after that era. If you want to do some creative engineering, build a traditional style street rod. I know that I'm nit picking, but that is just the way it is with the rules of "Traditional Hot Rods". Rules are rules.

Keep the cup holder ideas coming..... I'm sick of spilled coffee.

21. I saw someone use a pouch off a leather tool belt. Looked pretty good, vintage, and not immediately obvious what it was. I might steal that idea myself some day.

22. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

I still like the roll of duck tape idea. Probably not traditional but it could be considered dual purpose.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would seem like most of us could come up with a tray/beverage holder that slid out from under the dash or seat on tracks like a tool box drawer has that had a proper hole to put your beverage container of choice in. The guys who prefer bottles or cans would have to figure out how to put something to hold said bottle or can up but it shouldn't be all that hard. My latest daily has one that is so well hidden that I had to read the owner's manual to find it. It's all plastic and not something a guy would want on his hot rod though.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

After some research (driving it with a drink again) I decided I will have to go with a modified bar buoy,I can not mount one on the drivers side door panel or my knee will hit it so I am going to take one and make a bracket to mount it to the bottom of the dash between the door and steering column. I thought I would be SOL in mounting a drink holder since there is just not much room in a 37 Chevy p/u cab,if it still had the original trans I could make a small console to put on the floor but the T-5 shifter sits about 5 inches back from the original location so no way there. I will come up with a solution to this problem as I am tired of spilling my drinks on the seat.