Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vibrasonic Radio units ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zapato, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Zapato

Zapato Member
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Anyone remember those from the early 60s. don't remember much myself they just seemed to play a bit with the sound of those early AM radios. friend is looking for a unit for a period correct Kustom. Any info or leads appreciated.
  2. warbozz

warbozz Member

The units were made by Motorola, and were at least used by GM and Ford (Ford called it Studiosonic). It's basically just a delay between the front and rear speakers- it was called a 'poor man's' stereo. There's got to be some vintage radio buffs with parts laying around.
  3. Detonator

Detonator Member
    1. Roadsters.
    2. H.A.M.B. Woodie Owners
    3. HAMB SURFERS

I had one in my '57 Ranch Wagon in high school. The Wolfman and the late-night "Diamond Mine" out of LA sounded good on it. Four-tracks killed off the vibrasonics where I lived. I followed 'em on eBay and every now and then one would show up, but the guys with stupid money were all over them.
  4. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge Member

A buddy of mine had one in the family '59 Chevy. That would have been about 1964. We used to cruise between Bob's Pasadena and Henry's in Arcadia in that heap. Ooooooo! Vibrasonic.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Had a Vibrasonic in my Mustang back in '65. I remember it created an echo effect by delaying the signal to the rear speakers - made it sound like you were in a cave. I took one apart and found a number of parallel spring-like wires (must be what delayed the signal slightly). Those springs used to vibrate (maybe that's where the name came from?) against each other everytime I drove across railroad tracks and created most the God-awful, ear-splitting racket you could imagine. I took it out after a couple of months.
  6. Sticher1

Sticher1 Member

got 1 of those things worked great in the 58 buick then sold the car still got the box though gonna put it in the 59 elky had it since about 68
  7. 302GMC

302GMC Member

Big console TV/stereo/AM/FM units from pre-remote days had a big reverb unit. Never got around to hooking one up in a car, tho.
  8. Zapato

Zapato Member
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Its that "echo" sound that I also remember.
  9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer Member

there's a few on epay now
  10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud Member

I can hear the beach boys singing "Sterophonic speaker set with vibrasonic sound" The funniest part is that they weren't making it up!
  11. teddyp

teddyp Member

i think i still have one in the garage from a 66 pontiac the work great in their day back in late 50,s early 60,s a rear speaker was hitech
  12. Mr. Dirtbag2you

Mr. Dirtbag2you Member

Looking to buy a Mint/New Old Stock Vibrasonic reasonably. Will they hook up with an 8 track/and or modern CD if you just wire front and back speakers to work with the fader? Thanks.

Also could use any installation info. onefrostykat@yahoo.com
  13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour Member

14. four-thirteen

four-thirteen Member

The reverb box doesn't do any good without the circuitry to match, You need to amplify the signal out of the reverb unit.
  15. impala5

impala5 Member

I was just given one to me at work and I would like to install it in my 64 impala. the only thing it did not have the wiring diagram.Does anyone have a diagram they can e-mail or fax it to me . that would be great. thank you
    DEAN
  16. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive got a electronic one in a power booster that sounds good.I got it out of a old jcwhitney catalog back in the late 80's early 90's. You can adjust the amount of reverb on the switch and you dont get the springlike effect like the old ones.