Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods vacuum pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Oct 31, 2014.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i need help on a crank case 12vdc vacuum pump . i dont have any reference as to what will work . any help appreciated ............ steve

2. squirrel

squirrel

kind of depends what you want to do with it? if you're racing, maybe a drag racing type forum that talks about modern stuff would be helpful?

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

no its for my street model A banger . 7-1 head . at 60mph for awhile it seems to push oil out the rear main . never does it at lower speeds . i would like to vacate the crank case with out sucking the rings dry . how much vacuum do i need ? model A banger motor .

4. squirrel

squirrel

There are other ways to get crankcase vacuum without resorting to a pump. PCV should do it for normal driving conditions, and an exhaust evacuation system usually works for racing conditions.

to make sure you have a crank case pressure problem, first connect a vacuum pressure gauge to the crank case (use the dipstick hole for convenience?) and see what's going on. It might be an oil drainback issue, where there is a flood of oil between the bearing and seal area at higher rpm?

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The LT1 in the late 90s had a 12 volt air pump not sure if it could be mod to work.

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thanks for the help .... steve