Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turn signal wiring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2002p51, Nov 13, 2010.

1. 2002p51

2002p51

I've been re-wiring our '47 Mercury and I installed one of those aftermarket turn signal switches.

Hooked up a battery today and started testing things. The turn signals all work, and the emergency flashers work. The problem is the little indicator light on the unit itself is on all the time. Even when the key is off.

Here's the wiring diagram that came with the unit:

[​IMG]

It says on there; "For internal indicator lamp, switch housing must be grounded by contact with metal steering column."

Which it is.

So how do I get that indicator light to go out?

2. do you have it wired exactly like the diagram? are you using a 2 or 3 prong flasher? is the blue wire going to the P terminal of the flasher? or you may have a bad flasher

3. Dan57

Dan57

Are any of the outside lights also on all the time? If not, it sounds like a problem inside the unit.

4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

First, I think you have the incoming power wired to the wrong terminal on your ignition switch. When the key off everthing should be dead. Or you have the wire coming from the brake light switch wired to the wrong terminal allow power to always present. I'd recheck the wiring to the brake like switch, I'd be that's not right. Double check the way the flasher is wire also.

5. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

I had this problem before.It was newer one not a older US made one.I took it apart and found the turn switch had to be on swiched power.The wiring map with the unit was wrong.Use the search to find out some differant ways to wire it.This help me alot to wire some of the older one I find in the junkyard.Hope this helps.