Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Truck into a coupe- My next pet project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The thread is back and we can keep following along :cool:

2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Thanks for the headsup Larry

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, 31V;
    PM sent.
    Marcus...

4. glrbird

glrbird

Was it something we said? or is just time to think..

5. Didnt get to touch it for over 2 weeks.
    Only Couple hours last week, and just a few this week.

6. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

All I can say is WOW! Don't know how I missed this thread but this transformation is nothing short of AMAZING! Your skill,vision and most of all,perseverance is truly astounding!. I saw this car when it was for sale and thought it was kinda neat but wasn't for me. Who knew what a real POS was hiding under that paint! You should be very proud of what you created! Awesome!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  7. Thank you!
    I've been watching your thread, so I know the place you are speaking from and it is well founded in you own efforts there.

8. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Ha ha!..You can say it!..My car is a real POS too and therefore I'm talking from experience! Sorry if my calling it what it is(was) upset you but I was just being honest. Your awesome skills are transforming that bondo bucket into a work of art.

9. That wasnt my point at all. I see the work you are doing on your car and I know the road you walk. So your compliments mean a great deal to me.
    It's an involved process to make pieces and solveing problems, no?

Now lets just call a spade a spade here.
    my cars was a Huge steaming pile of shit hiding under the pretty paint.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I appologize if I misunderstood what you meant.. We are walking the same path and it is very difficult to plan,build and execute it without screwing it all up.
    KEY WORD: "WAS" a POS..Now its awesome,great job! Can't wait to see it with some color on it!

11. I know it's not much, but the first tacks went into the roof.
    Major turning point today

image.jpg

VANDENPLAS, kiwijeff and english gent like this.
  12. What a night:eek:
    1:30 am, got both side cut in & tacked. One side almost finished welded.
    Was nice to be able to get back on it, so much fun I didn't want to stop.

13. glrbird

glrbird

I sure after the frustrating journey this car has been for you, a small break was good for the soul.

14. The big bear has awakened from its slumber....and as his stomach growls...there will soon be hell to pay !!

Love me some 31Vhemisperical !! Fibonacci ready to fuck some shit up again ?? Woooohoooo !! Arise lads, arise !! Clevetown rumble is on.....

15. Well just in case you ever wanted to know what 20 individual pieces of steel can do

image.jpg
    These were welded on the car but I left them removable to get the backsides finished, tune up with the E wheel and planishing hammer.
    The screaming wheel of flatness (aka shrinking disc) does a great job and will be wailing away again tomorrow.

Anyone have an idea for no rust water?

Oh and don't forget this blast from the past it is what was. This gap was forced together to weld. Then paved
    image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Rounding third, nice work!

17. Let's see if this video kworks?
    As much as I tried, I couldn't get the reverse curve piece to do what I wanted on the ends. 5 different radii converging is quite a challenge :) :):):):):):):) ( I've learned that smiling is better than saying motherfuckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
    So I made the ends separate and welded them in.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    jdownunder, loudbang and english gent like this.
  18. indyjps

indyjps

Read thru the entire thread, what a ride. All of the factory split rear window pics that have been shown have more horizontal in the bottom then sweep up to the outside radius. The tops of the windows are a gradual sweep down to the outside radius. I'm sure you'll figure out what looks good in person and not 2D. Can't wait to see the updates, the work you're doing is amazing, now I'm looking for a big truck hood to add to the stash.
    much as I hate to say it, you should go after the bodywork, you know every curve and feature. If you go red again check out chevy victory red from a 2000 silverado, deep red in the shade but has an orangey pop in the sun, though not as much orange as the previous color. Ive read thru all of the poison apple threads and it's a great color, we IM'd about it, not sure if other painters will be down for the process.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Those roof sections look really nice. I wish we lived closer to each other, you could school me on the "screaming wheel of flatness" :D
    I've always wanted to get one and try it but I have no idea how to approach the things. :confused: :)
    Larry

20. All the videos and explanation in the world won't help if you don't just try it.
    The disk hits the high spots like a file hits the high spots. The disk heats and raises the high spots and the quench shrinks them. In the Next round they aren't as high and the disk contacts more surface area. The closer you get the panel to perfect the harder it is to get perfect, if that makes any sense. Can quickly reach this point though.

At least for me, I can get really really close but at that point it's real easy to loose it, over shrink and then I need to retrace my steps with hammer on dolly then shrinking disk and it just oscillates going nowhere. Absolutely within acceptable filler range but I haven't gotten across that hump to perfect yet.

That thing is scary at 8000 rpm. Almost want to have full riot gear and a bullet proof vest on.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. I am thinking I like the idea of the rivets as weld fixtures. Poor man's cleeko pins. :cool:

The project is coming right along, looks good.

22. Thanks beano !
    The rivets replace the clecos ultimately before cutting and welding.
    The rivets allow better feel, better line of sight, and are out of the way when cutting with a body saw. I use the aluminum rivets and they drill out very easy compared to the steel ones.

23. Probably also cheaper then the steel ones and are a piece that is ***used up prior to finishing the project.

*** insert your own word for used up all I could think of is gastado and used up is the only way I know how to translate that word. :oops:

24. the spanish word gastado is extravagant in english?

25. Nope used up or spent, depends on how you use the word.

There is a better English word for what I want to say, I am just not coming up with it and sometimes when my brain can't find a word it switches languages on me. Think of it like investment casting, the wax is used up or spent or ?????

I am sorry I can see what I am trying to say I just can't say it. it happens, I wish it didn't cause it makes me look dummer than I am.

26. consumed?

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

28. I call them little fuckers handy

29. indyjps

indyjps

Sacrificial rivets

Atwater Mike likes this.