Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Traditional looking wire organizing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Mar 25, 2017.

1. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Aircraft have all one color wiring, and are much more complicated than our cars! Traditional wiring:
    5 wires to front, 1 parking lights, 2 low beam, 3 hi-beam, 4 left TS, 5 right TS. Rear 3 wires, 1 running lights, 2 left TS and stop, 3 right TS and stop. Then Ignition,starter, charging. In the end not many wires!

rjones35 and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Speaking of fathers teaching us about how to build hot rods...my guess is not very many had that luxury. Mine taught us boys the basics of electronics, and what was best, he let us take stuff apart and play with it, so we could learn on our own. That included buying an old car with the stated goal of us taking it apart when it quit working.

But his own workmanship was not so neat by the time I was starting to do stuff. The wiring on his patent model (made when I was a baby) is OK, but nothing like the wiring in the show cars in the little books :)

patent.jpg

https://www.google.com/patents/US3262356

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's true "Point to point" wiring. Very traditional, very common wiring technology used back in the day. Packed a lot into a small space. Point to point guitar amps are highly prized and collectible.

4. I use electrical tape and have for a very long time. Now that I am more sophisticated I have been known to use a plastic anchor or a rubber lined metal clamp, but my wiring is still all wrapped in electrical tape.

I don't know how traditional electrical tape is my Ol' Man used it and he started playing cars and motorcycles in the '30s. If it was good enough for him it is good enough for me. :D

rjones35 likes this.
  5. I don't know what that item is that Squirrel posted but point to point wireing was required in some electronic devices, if the wire were all run together like we are talking about, you would get interference if the wires carried high hz. The early radios were first built with wires all tied up neat and all running at right angles to eachother then they learned to go to point to point.

but now back to cars.

6. I agree, and it's really too bad how into "perfection" this all got.

rjones35 likes this.
  7. LOL not at the 'beaners place. I may build something really nice for a customer but my stuff is still built for one thing and one thing only, having fun. ;)

rjones35 and crminal like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

it's described in the link to the patent :)

yup, no more airplanes, pinball machines, or darkroom timers

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My grandfather was a simple farmer, turned repair man. He missed both big wars (just born at the wrong time), and never had any schooling on how to do things of this topic. He just did everything in a neat and tidy fashion, knowing that one day, someone, possibly him, would have to service it. He thought through the possibilities of what might happen when something was going to be used, and built it accordingly.

Everything that he did was simple, neat, precise, and very nearly perfectly designed. To say that what he was responsible for was well cared for is an understatement.

Although he has passed, his purchased new 1931 Model A (that I learned to drive in) is still running, registered, insured, and on-the-road, and has NEVER been otherwise. It still runs the never serviced since built hand made radiator that he produced, from common materials.

Not all art hangs in galleries or museums. Some of it lives on a family farm in Northeast Connecticut.

10. cretin

cretin

Since when has taking pride in your work, and doing the best of your ability, and trying to improve your ability been a bad thing?

Some people like to do that. Some people don't give a shit. But giving a shit about the quality of your work shouldn't be frowned upon just because it's leaps and bounds better then some 50's "barn find".

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rod1, Rex_A_Lott and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

Perfection gets boring, after a while.

scotty t and rjones35 like this.
  12. cretin

cretin

I can appreciate that, but striving for it isn't a bad thing.

Also, if you think it's perfect, you aren't looking hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This has been a pretty cool thread with some good info. Let's not ruin it by arguing that old argument again and get it deleted please. Let it go guys.

rjones35, porknbeaner and cretin like this.
  14. Not exactly sure what you are looking for here.
    You said you are using cloth covered wire. Seems to me you're kind of locked into cable lacing, or maybe the asphalt coated stuff? But then ,why use cloth wire and then cover it up?
    But, are you trying to build a 60's style hot rod? Electrical taped harnesses were used throughout the 60's.
    Is that the car, with the modern front wheels?

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You gotta' love the HAMB. Half of the posters know how everything was done in the day and the other half know they are wrong.o_O There is some good information here anyway.:cool:

crminal and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Someday, someone will wire a car so neatly that the clueless like myself might figure out how the shit works. Don't bet on that ever happening. Bob

cretin likes this.
  17. That should be a sticky

Hemi Joel likes this.
  18. Fortunately I'm building a custom and "tradition" has nothing to do with it. I want my engine room to look like Howard Hughes ran the wires while H.G. Wells was holding the work light. It doesn't really matter to me if the "look" was there in the past or not. I want it to feel like it was a hand crafted, special build from the past. But that's just me. I think it's legal to do this in the county where I live. ;)

Pinball, Baby!!
    pinball-stepper-repair-01.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    rod1 likes this.
  19. Blake 27

Blake 27

Perfection? HPIM0430.JPG

20. Some would ask ..With tie wraps?
    I don't think they look bad , trimmed and tucked under.
    Traditional ? (there's that word again) Probably not, with 30 amp relays.

21. Looks good to me Blake.
    But don't much credit to what I say :p

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Looks very neat and tidy, very well done.

But in a traditional hot road, what the hell are you running that needs all those relays? Someone else posted earlier, there's like 5 wires to the front, 3 to the back, starting and charging and some gauges. I always wonder this when seeing the bundles of wires in some rods.

23. LOL everything I have ever wired has a simplified wiring harness, as in if it doesn't need to be there is doesn't go there. I have been known to use junction blocks to clean things up and I do like my engine bay to be as clean and simple as possible.

I am not one to say that "I know how it was done back in the day" I know how it got done where I was at when I was there and I saw how the guys before me did it when I was there. I also know that they were not restorers, their stuff was clean and simple for the most part and they never spent a lot of time caring what anyone else thought about it.

Blues4U and Gman0046 like this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Beaner you have absolutely knocked the ball out of the park with your most recent post on this wiring thread. Thats exactly what I've ben trying to get across with my posts on this subject. I still don't understand why someone who readily admit they missed being there yet don't mind telling us "I know how it was done back in the day". Thanks for your response and insight from someone who was there and have pictures not BS to back it up.

Gary

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    porknbeaner likes this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wax string was traditional for power plant control boards; it how I learned. Double halfhitch straight then another and so on. Keeping the wires straight was the hardest using all gray SIS asbestos insulated wire. Numbered them with a fine tip pencil. Do try to keep the wires straight. Good luck.

26. Thanks for the kind words.

I am just lucky, every freak, boho, and greaser passed through the old man's shop on Saturdays and the ol man liked me enough to let be there to watch it happen. ;)

27. rjones35

rjones35

So I'm confused, is this traditional wiring or not? Came on my 63 that way, I replaced it all, maybe I shouldn't have.....

[​IMG]

28. I sure would have left that really long wire, it may need to be that length for everything to work properly.

I peeled the tape off the harness in my '64 Chevelle once and it had wires that were way too long and all folded up. me being the electrical wizard that I am left them that length because I knew that it was how the GM engineers wanted them to be, I even made sure that the folds stayed the same just incase it was some sort of a coil or something. :D

rjones35 likes this.
  29. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I used friction tape on my coupe project. Looks old style IMO. Much better than new plastic electric tape. I also used the asphalt wire loom also. Just finished installing all cloth wiring in my car. I was waiting on my wire order to come in and I needed my car wired for the hillclimb so I just used scraps I had in the garage. Even though the wires I installed were not 'traditional' material, it was done the in same spirit a kid would have built a car back then. I finally got motivated and used the cloth wire I ordered. It turned out super nice and I am glad I finally got it installed. Hardly any of it will ever be seen but I know it is there and I take a little pride in a nice neat and tidy installation.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  30. "5 wires to the front" may be true for a "traditional" hot rod, which is basically a soapbox derby with an engine. (I respect and love 'em so put down that tire iron.) But fast forward to the 40's and 50's and the rest of the street rod age and you're dealing with more lights, horns, electric fans and controls, relays and fuses for safety, upgraded alternators, and maybe A/C if you're building a driver. That's just up front. Under the dash is a 'hole 'nother smoke, if you want to play tunes and add some gauges. You would have to go out of your way to make a mess of 5 wires, but with 25 a mess gets easy to do. Remember fellows, we're covering a pretty broad range with this discussion. What any of us might do in one car could be the opposite of what we do in another.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017