Register now to get rid of these ads!

traditional hot rod made in france

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the vonstripers, Oct 18, 2010.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Any pictures of the '49 Chevy project? The Fregate sounds interesting & alittle different.

If the modification of a vehicle is illegal in France, how do you drive them on the street? Here in the U.S. (California) using an engine built after 1975 without the pollution control equipment = big fine, no seat belts= more $$$ in fines, no front license plate, you guessed it, more $$, to loud or to low =$$$.
    Is the 30% price you guys are payin on parts the import tax or the shipping costs added to the price of the parts? I've big respect for what you guys build given what you have to go thru. Prior to the internet, most parts & equipment to build a kustom or rod were very cheap vs. the costs of a new vehicle, today, because of world wide demand (ebay etc.) the game has changed, big time. Pollution & equipment laws are changing too, and one day, we too ,may be ''outlaws'' jus like you guys in France! I say, "build 'um and drive 'um whyle you can!"

Viva la Kustom !

2. the vonstripers

the vonstripers
    from france

in france , there are two categories of vehicles, newer vehicles less than 10 years old and collectible vehicles with more than 35 years.
    Newer vehicles are managed by the office of Mines or DRIRE, no parts or engines swapped or esthetics changes are allowed (the tunings are outlaw)
    in the case of collection vehicles, it is possible to convert a vehicle type of hot rod or kustom, but the title must match the fiscal power of the engine. or another solution is to validate the transformations in adequate service in order to have a title as "modified" stipulated in this case it 's street legal, the French highway code does not prohibit changes to a vehicle over 30 years like collectible cars
    that's the big difference ,and this is the only way to ride a rod or kustom in france ,this is why most of the people who ride a hot rod in france ,say "hey there cops are very kool with us ,they stopped me and say "what is this car ? ",that's all ! and don't know why ,there's no laws in france who stipulate hot rod or kustom are prohobited, so the cops can't do something wrong with that,just see you drive and say nice "street old" car...!
    it's the same with motorcycles ,newer bike or old bike(chopper)

3. Excellent thread.

4. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I like the use of the euro parts on this, with the American parts! I got some good ideas for mine.

5. chrisp

chrisp

Ouch, sorry to contradict you, but since any modification is subject to cerification and that the government worker (since the early 90's or late 80's, can't remember) put his ass on the line for allowing such or such modification on a vehicule in case of an accident caused by said modification, they never grant any certification without writen agrement from the vehicule manufacturer and you guessed it, the manufacturers NEVER give an autorization to modify their product, otherwise they will be penaly responsible.
    It just means that even though nothing in the law forbids you to modify your vehicule, you can't certify the mods so you're not allowed to drive your modified vehicule on public roads except for a handfull that were registered before they lock the registration system of modified vehicules period.
    Just so you know even changing from point to electronic ignition is (even if nobody does it) subject to certification and that's the french law.
    And this is valid for any year vehicule or brand even if the manufacturer went out of buisness 70 years ago.

6. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Incredible amount of work and skill thanks for sharing

7. chrisp

chrisp

I will do a post on the Chevy when the time comes (ie after the mag that wants it featured publishes it)
    I also have a 58 Fregate station wagon that I converted to 2 suicide door, top chopped 3" only with the windshield laid back, next thing is building a full frame (it is a unibody) with air ride, MII in front and I'm currently rebuilding a '60 Cad 390 for it with Chevy valves, S2D rockers, 040 overbored, Isky cam and maybe make my own 6 carb log manifold. I'm also planing a sectionning.

8. chrisp

chrisp

To bring this thread back to life here are a couple more :
    a Peugeot 301 4 door sedan turned woody pick up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is being build by a friend of mine for a customer, it's a 1932 Ford SAF 2 door sedan extensively modified to look like a B400
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 65 impala

65 impala

10. Tim G

Tim G

Love the woody pick up!

i can't wait to get my 29 C4 back here :)

11. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Wow!!! awsome, work.

12. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yep, this is Europe my friend, and sad to say but youre right.
    Dunno if in Sweden is the same, but mid and lower Eu is like this.
    We're all outlaw, no matter what we drive, a hot rod, a kustom or a lowrider, we have to hope that the cop that stops us likes what he sees or thet he is at least curious about it.
    So far all good, but something ugly can happen to any of us if were stopped by a bad cop.:mad:

13. DjNeil

DjNeil

Hi
    any of you French guys know Vincent from the Southsiders down in Toulouse