Register now to get rid of these ads!

History TRADITIONAL GASSERS, Gas Class cars and modern TRADITIONAL cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Dec 21, 2016.

1. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG] upload_2017-1-20_4-29-18.png
    [​IMG]1960
    40 Willys: primered, black, Moon discs who is in front of the Grist Bros?

Hello, (posted on the Willys threads, too)
    Can't be more traditional than a Willys coupe vs the perennial A/Gas class champion Willys at Lions Dragstrip. Here is another mystery Willys from 1960. This action does not happen often, but who is in front of the A/Gas Grist Bros Willys at Lions? It is a rare sight to see someone getting that much of a jump at the start in the A/Gas ranks, especially against the A/Gas record holder in the West. The norm is that the Grist Bros. would be the ones doing the hole-shot. It looks like a HOWARD CAM sticker on the rear panel of this mystery Willys. But the name of the driver and owner is still a question mark.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks.

Jnaki

2. loudbang

loudbang

Still in the midwest they seem to have a LOT of gassers LOL.

Michigan’s Bob Ogorek built this Chevy powerted Henry-J to advertise his Kustom Equipment Co., speed shop, in Flint. Ogorek later created Kustom Headers, a well-known exhaust supplier during the 1970’s and 80’s.

Ogorek-Bob-595x283.jpg

Drag racing was a family affair for the Wittbrodts, of Detroit. Patriarch Elmer, grandma Mildred, sons Ron and George plus kids ran this homebuilt C/Gas Anglia for several years. Here driver George puts the Anglia through its paces at Milan Dragway.

Wittbrodt-George-595x370.png

Colorful, outspoken Tony Christian’s Modified Eliminator career found him winning many class trophies and several major event Mod Elim’s as well. Christian, shown here working on the injected small-block, started with this ’57 Chevy Gasser.

Christian-Tony-595x352.jpg

Few racers squeezed more serious winning out of a single classic ’33 Willys chassis than Mansfield, Ohio’s Virgil Cates. Known as “The Flying Junkman”, Cates’ began running the ’33 in the 60’s, as a Chevy powered C/Gasser before pulling the front cap, bolting on a Model A radiator grille shell and declaring the car a C/Altered. With it Cates won the NHRA World Championship Comp Eliminator title in 1965.

Cates-V-1.jpg

Cates’ next foray found him running with the front cap in place, as a C/Gas Supercharged class entry with the top chopped. This was a brief interlude before he went back to the sans-front end, B and C/Altered configuration.

Virgil-Cates-C-GS-Indy-1970-595x358.jpg

Cleveland, Ohio was a hotbed for Gasser racers during the 60’s. The Rodriguez Brothers built and for many years raced this ’56 210 sedan in D/Gas. Here Jimmy Rodriguez cleans the tires as he edges towards the starting line at the NHRA Nationals. “Hut’s Dyno Shop” was Ron Hutter’s Cleveland area engine shop. Hutter’s engines became a popular, trusted source for NASCAR racers in several divisions.

Rodriguez-Jim-2-595x446.jpg

One of The Rod Shop’s best was the Stickel & Riffle ’48 C/Gas Anglia. Here driver Bob Riffle and Jim Thompson discuss horsepower advantages with the small-block Chevy that powered the four-speed C/G runner. (Jim Hill Collection photo)

Riffle-Bob-w-Jim-Thompson-C-G-48-Anglia-595x446.jpg

Stickle & Riffle proceeded the Anglia with this ’40 Willys coupe, running in B/Gas with small-block Chevy power.

willys29-595x428.jpg

Before Rod Shop sponsorship and paint the Stickle & Riffle team ran this clean, green ’48 Anglia in C/Gas

RMG684-595x487.jpg

Painted in Rod Shop team colors, the Jim Thompson-Bob Riffle duo cut a familiar and oft-winning profile in Midwest and national Gasser racing

3105957-595x398.jpg

3. loudbang

loudbang

Still in the midwest

Cleveland’s Pete and Bill Hill were contemporaries of the famed Ohio Gasser group. Their ’40 Willys coupe featured blown small-block Chevy power for B/Gas Supercharged.

Hill-bros-Tom-n-Bill.jpg

Woldhauser Brothers built this Willys Jeep Overland wagon for B/Gas, with 426 Hemi power. As loyal Chrysler followers they even used a Dodge truck as push car.

Woldhauser-Bros-Hemi-595x367.jpg

If you ever wondered what drag racing was like during the peak of the Gasser era of the mid 1960’s, check out this photo. Literally hundreds of Gas, MP and Street Roadsters lined up, revved up and cleaned their tires behind the line, beneath the Hurst crossover bridge at Indy! Look at the variety of cars and try to imagine all that beautiful noise! (Jim Hill photo)

Racers-Row-At-Indy-595x473.jpg

Jeg Coughlin’s Jeg’s Automotive, in Columbus, Ohio, grew a speed shop hobby into a national parts retailing power. Jeg ran a blown Austin with Jeg-built hemi power and later, an unblown nitro Funny Car, then Top Alcohol Dragster and finally Top Fuel and Funny Cars.

1987874-595x295.jpg

That’s Jeg, Sr., patriarch of the Jeg’s family racing dynasty, wrenching on the 426 Hemi powered Austin A/GS. The Coughlin family is now in its third generation of drag racers.

Jeg-595x391.jpg

Funny Car legend “Fast Eddie” Schartman’s career began as a Cleveland, Ohio street racer, then he went legitimate with a fast ’55 Chevy C/Gasser, and later this ’33 Willys A/GS entry. This fuzzy photo was clipped from an ancient, yellowed National Dragster.

Ed-Schartman.jpg
    Larry Teter’s Illinois based ’32 Victoria was Chevy powered and nationally known for its performance. Teter won C/Gas class several times at the Nationals in this beautiful, classic hot rod, shown here in the pits at Indy Raceway Park.

Teter-Larry-2-595x372.jpg

Here’s a classic A/Gas Supercharged match-up at the Nationals, featuring Paul Frost (right, purple ’40 Willys) and Jim Oddy’s Buffalo, NY based Austin square off. The Nationals brought the fastest California cars east for legendary class trophy battles and national bragging rights as A/GS champ for the year!

Frost-Paul-vs-Oddy-595x298.jpg

Dick Titsworth’s Toldeo-based Seaport Automotive was a northern Ohio favorite with racers. His ’48 Anglia ran both B/Gas and C/Altered with injected, small-block Chevy power. Here Dick launches at National Trail Raceway. (Chance Brockway photo from the Jim Hill Collection)

Titsworths-Port-Of-Call-595x453.jpg

Tom Langdon was a GM employee and Gasser racer from Utica, MI. Landgon’s “Holeshot-6″ ’48 Anglia H/Gasser used an Chevy inline 6 for power and sometimes giant wheelstands!

Langdon-Tom-595x446.jpg

mad mikey, Dean Lowe, rust and 3 others like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

More midwest

Mickey Hart’s was a well known Cleveland engine and chassis shop. This ’33 Willys A/GS was one of many cars running out of Hart Automotive.

Hart-Mickey-595x482.jpg

Keith Ferrell built one of the Midwest’s most well-known ’33 Willys, “The Dogcatcher”, panel truck. This car was later bought by the late Bob Urban, who rebuilt it into a candy painted, super-chromed, favorite feature car on the ISCA Hot Rod Show World circuit.

Keith-Ferrell-Dogcatcher-33-Willys-595x406.jpg

King Speed Shop’s Chicagoland parts stores were favorites with both track and street racers! This three-window ’32 Ford A/Gasser was one of several cars sponsored by The King.

King-Spd-Shop-1-595x467.jpg

Jerry Haley’s ’33 Plymouth classic was powered by a much modified, inline 6 cylinder GMC engine. The powerful GMC truck engine had a unique cross-flow ported cylinder head, built by Rockford, Illinois’ Sterling Racing Engines.

Haley-Jerry-2-595x457.jpg

Koffel’s infamous “Flintstone Flyer” was well engineered, with maximum 10% engine set-back and an easy access hood. E/Gas class win at the ’62 Nationals was but one of the big dog’s achievements. Note huge parachute at rear ?

Koffel-6-595x388.jpg

Following the Packard Dave built this Studebaker Lark, the “Flintstone Flyer Too”, also powered by an injected Chevy, for E/Gas. A couple years later Dave got Chrysler factory help with a ’65 Plymouth B/FX before becoming one of Chrysler’s race group engineers.

Koffel-5-595x381.jpg

Cleveland, Ohio’s Joe and Tom Hrudka were were unable to seal ported small-block Chevy heads with stock gaskets. They began making gaskets, selling them out of the trunk of Joe’s ’57 Chevy. That grew into Mr. Gasket Company. A ’55 Chevy D/Gasser won class for them at the Nationals, followed by this ’40 Willys C/Gasser, here at The Nationals. “Meal” is the notably talented Cleveland race car builder, Dave Meal.

4229524-595x377.jpg

By the mid 60’s Mr. Gasket was growing its product line as Joe and Tom built and ran this flashy C/Gas Supercharged ’33 Willys panel truck. A small-block Chevy with 4-71 blower and Hilborn powered it while Joe power-shifted the four-speed trans. The car was later sold and became “Foley’s Fooler”.

TomJoeHrudka33WillysPanel1967Dragway42photobytoddWingerter-595x431.jpg

Tom Prock and Jay Howell gained national fame with this flip-top, Funny Car inspired ’33 Willys A/GS match racer. The Prock & Howell “F-Troop” Willys was named after a popular 60’s western TV comedy. There was nothing funny about the car’s eight second, 170 mph runs. This is the restored car, in all its beauty.

Prock-n-Howell-2-595x447.jpg

The “F-Troop” Willys was loaded with Funny Car technology, including a one-piece, flip-top, fiberglass body and its Logghe FC chassis. Power came from a fuel burning big-block Chevy with Hilborn high-profile, 4-V injection and an 8-71 blower.

Prock-Howell-595x397.jpg

Prock & Howell’s Willys was the fuel engine tuning school for Tom Prock. Tom would later become known for his driving and tuning in a variety of nitro FC’s. His son, Jimmy Prock, remains one of the premier nitro crew chief-tuners on the major event stage. Note header flames and wheels-up stance.

6986806-595x440.jpg

5. Fordors

Fordors

Your post above with the Jerry Haley '33 Plymouth made me think of an Iskenderian poster I sent away for 54 years ago. I sent it to Ed a few years ago and he actually had it reproduced and sent mine back to me along with some swag. As always Isky is a cool, class act.
    Anyway, here in no particular order are the Isky cammed Gassers that were class winners at the '62 Nationals.
    C/GS Moody & Jones
    B/GS Mike Marinoff
    B/G Johnny Loper
    G/G Harry Peaper
    C/G Larry Teeter
    F/G Jerry Haley
    The poster shows 27 Isky 'Poly'Dyne powered winners in all. Tomorrow I'll try to take a decent photo and post it.

6. Elrod

Elrod

Not Jazzy.... Jim Nelson was one of the founding Oilers Car Club members.

[​IMG]

loudbang and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  7. magooz

magooz

Those were the days. This photo is of Jack Coonrod's Yellow '33 AAG Willys after he found and restored it for the Nostalgia drags in the 80's. Looked like it was in the early 60's when he raced it in the Gasser Wars on the east coast. Next to him in Candy Red is Magoo's (steel) '41 Willys AAG who raced with Jack, Wayne Harry, and several others in those years. Jack & Wayne won most every time, but we had fun.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

Fred Hurst has been an Ohio Gasser hero for decades, first with his famous candy apple red ’40 Willys. A 426 Hemi provided the go motivation in this NHRA Nationals photo.

Capture.JPG

Just before the wreck of the Willys

outhLibertyMotors67Dart12966DW-vi.jpg

An original Ohio GAsser legend was Cleveland’s Ron Hassel. Ron gained fame first with his ’56 Chevy sedan, then in the Hassel & Vogelsong ’40 Willys B and C/Gasser. Here Hassel leaves the line during B/Gas class runs at The Nationals, 1963.

Hassel-63-Indy-595x476.jpg

In 1965 Hassel left Ohio for South Florida, where he worked as Sales Manager for Crane Cams. There he teamed with Ronnie Cox, (left) winning the ’66 Nationals B/Gas in this ’48 Anglia. That Indy Nationals trophy remains one of drag racing’s most cherished prizes and a career highlight.

Hassel-Cox-Ntls-Trophy-595x504.jpg

Hassel returned to Cleveland, shortly after the Nationals. He became Mr. Gasket’s National Sales Manager but found time to drive this ’48 Anglia D/Gasser owned by Joe Hrudka, with Hassel’s engine and trans.

9987996-595x443.jpg

Eckard & Kirk was another storied Ohio Gasser teams. They began in the mid 60’s with this ’48 Anglia running in B/Gas. Color tinted plexiglass windows were quickly outlawed by NHRA, as a safety measure. Stock Anglia front axle was used, with four-lug stock steel front wheels, American five-spoke mags rear. The car is returning to pits at The Nationals.

Eckard-Kirk-AG-595x489.jpg

And that finishes the mid west finally up next a few from the northwest.

9. loudbang

loudbang

A few from the northwest. Not too many cars from here listed.

Northwest standout Jim Warter launches his Gasser career wheeling this very sharp ’39 Chevy on Northwest and California tracks. Front license tag says the car wasn’t too far from its street rod days before running in 11 lbs. per CID E/Gas class.

Warter-Jim-39-Chev-race1-595x402.jpg

Jerry Ruth was later to become known as “King of the Northwest”, in Top Fuel, but his roots as a Northwest drag racer were considerably less regal. This ’38 Chevy, sponsored by Ruth Realty, was The King’s early throne with a blown small-block Chevy supplying the urge.

Ruth-Jerry-38-Chevy-BGS-595x449.jpg

Many Northern California Gasser racers made the run north, to tracks in Washington and Oregon. This ’41 Willys coupe, from Sacramento, ran in B/Gas.

13607026_10206931944797190_1324153846855040433_n-595x407.jpg

“Jack The Bear” Coonrod stormed onto the 60’s blown Gasser scene from Portland, Washington, hitting the road with other A/Gas Supercharged heroes to stage multi-car match races across the U.S.

Coonrod-Jack-XX-595x386.jpg

Jack Coonrod’s ’33 Willys had a chassis designed and built by Chuck Finders and blown 392 Chrysler Hemi power. The bright yellow Willys was fast, quick and consistent.

Coonrod-XXX-595x417.jpg

that's it for the northwest. Next up the southwest.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  10. Great stuff!
    I've been neglecting this thread, having to do other stuff!!
    Nice Loudbang, but PORTLAND ,WASHINGTON??????
    Please. My home town, OREGON!!!
    I'll be posting soon. KEEP IT COMING!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Portland Washington:confused:

loudbang likes this.
  12. Here's a crummy scan i did for my "Great Oregon Racers" thread with Jack Coonrod vs Stone, Woods and Cook at Woodburn, OREGON in 1964. If you ever went to Woodburn in the 60's, you recognize the old tower!
    TONS of great racing, a good field of unblown gassers at every race! WE NEED SOME PICS OF JACK FROST and his various Willy's! Marty? Anybody?
    Pic from Don Montgomery's Gassers book!!!
    [​IMG]

EVL401, Dean Lowe, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  13. Here's a GREAT shot of gasser action at Madras , OREGON in 1962, posted by HAMB'er BadgeZ28 in my thread!
    Madras was a COOL, but primitive track!
    [​IMG]

14. The complete story of this 40 Chevy is told by Marty Strode in the "oregon Racers" thread. Typical of small town low buck VERY COOL racing in the 60's! GREAT TIMES!!
    [​IMG]

mad mikey, 41 coupe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  15. WOW! Found this pic posted by Marty Strode of Jack Frost's Willys. A kick ass car and driver, one of my teen favorites at Woodburn!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    mad mikey, 41 coupe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. "Goofin; Off", at Woodburn, OREGON, 1964!
    [​IMG]

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Seeing that hacked up grill must make the 34 Ford guys cry.

18. Great pics, brings back memories!

loudbang and Gary Reynolds like this.
  19. Jacob helms

Jacob helms

20160915_174038.jpg heres a pic of my brother's current project a model a big block chevy gasser early 60s inspired

Sent from my LGLS740 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Jacob helms: Nice project but I guess you missed this Gary posted earlier:

"The dreaded spindle mount. These wheels are totally wrong for a gas class car!
    I DON'T CARE THAT THEY ARE CALLED "GASSER" WHEELS and are marketed as such! Did yo see any wheels like that on the pics of old gassers kids? Noooooooo!
    NO SPINDLE MOUNTS please!"

21. Jacob helms

Jacob helms

While they look like spindle mounts thay are actually bolted to breaks but it has been converted to disk break to be daily driven it is as period correct as we could make it while being fast and drivable on the street.

22. Come on. You don't have to remove the post, but PLEASE remove those God awful wheels.
    We know what they are, and they bite! Halibrands or steel wheels would look better, unless you are building an altered.

bowie, Dean Lowe and mad mikey like this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

Hey I don't write them I just post them as they are. I wondered at that myself but was too lazy to look it up.

24. Jacob helms

Jacob helms

I personally think they look fine and i understand your point that they are not completely correct. but we are trying to make it different than everyone else if you actually dig in to it nothing is really period correct on my brother's gasser for example its on coil over's and the radiator is in the bed. We don't have much money to work with and are trying Not to ruin the style just trying something different.

25. " if you actually dig in to it nothing is really period correct on my brother's gasser "
    Jacob. don't get me wrong. It's a cool car and you should build what YOU like, but it isn't what we are trying to do with this thread! It's pretty simple, TRADITIONAL STYLE!!! End of story guys.
    Look at the cars posted, THAT is this thread! Please don't sabotage it!

26. rooman

rooman

These would have been a better choice and they are half the price of the 10 spokes,
    http://www.wheelsforless.com/VN2155465

Roo