Register now to get rid of these ads!

History TRACK ROADSTERS FROM THE 1950's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CW's40TPU, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Amazing stuff! thanks for sharing! i hope theres more to come!

2. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

THANKYOU for sharing.

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Your slackin Jimmy! ;)

Also... check out the sign behind this car (far right of photo).... too bad theres no pic behind the curtain!
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. bct

bct

thanks for sharing. love this stuff and wish was there.

5. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

6. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

eeeeeeeoooooow!!!!! thats soo bad ass! best reference pics ever thank you for taking the time to share these!!!!

7. OK......sorry I couldn't get these posted last night, I had to re-size smaller.

Here's the ID catalog that Rod Eschenburg put together for me back in the early 80's. My #1. picture posted is the #1. on this list and so on down the list. I hope this helps ID Cars & Drivers.......cw.

8. 15ASedan

15ASedan

The photo above of the No. 25 (1950s050.jpg) is Jack Gardner Sr. 1954 CRA Champion.
    The engine in the car is more than likely my Dad's engine which came out of the car that is my Avatar picture. My Dad ran on the Dry Lakes in that 40 Sedan with that engine for @ 7 years with a top speed of 135+mph in 1953

[​IMG]

There are more CRA images from Culver City and Carroll Speedway here:
    http://www.bakerracingpix.com/1946californiaroadsters.html

9. I plead tiredness ;):D;) That pic has me real interested. 1) That sign says that Bob Ruffi's (actually spelt Rufi) Chassis was displayed, obviously it was the Beck Brothers rebuilt version. 2) The notes posted says it was taken at the 1949 SCTA show which was the 2nd 'The Hot Rod Exposition'.

CW, you wouldn't happen to have any other pics of the 1949 SCTA show by any chance? In particular pics of the Spurgin/Giovanine roadster?

Cheers
    Jimmy

10. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks for posting these shots!!! My late boss, Don Blair, was an early track roadster builder, later went on to sprints....these pictures remind us that some of the first track roadsters were street-driven at first, then, and later converted to track roadsters as hot rodders got families, needed bigger cars, etc...

Stogy likes this.
  11. Fantastic pictures!! I love these cars.

12. Jimmy B...
    Wish I had more pictures but this is it, i'll keep my eyes & ears open for the 1949 SCTA Show pics.....sorry...cw.

13. casper

casper

WOW !!! What a great treat. I have really enjoyed studying these awesome pictures. Thank you soooo much for posting !!!

14. Here's a few pictures of the Track T "RICE BALL SPECIAL" built and owned by Jim Yoshita, the roadster was built in Jim's gas station in Gardena Ca. It looks like they ran a Wayne Chevy? This car was streachted and converted to the "Henry & James Special" Sprint Car that won the 1957 California Racing Association Championship, Jack "UPSIDE DOWN ROUNDS" Rounds was the driver, Jack owned a muffler shop in Huntington Park Ca, his business motto was "NO MUFF TOO TOUGH".

WANTED: Pictures of this roadster with the T body on the chassis.....
    THANKS........cw.

15. Here's a couple pieces of artwork I did back in '82 and '86. I have always liked the Spalding Bros Track Roadster so in '82 I did a pen & ink drawing of the car then in '86 I did another piece of artwork for my CRA T-shirt design. I started Redlion Silkscreen in '81, did mostly long gone SoCal Dragstrips and racing logos, shut the door in '98.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  16. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Those photos are priceless, thanks for sharing.

17. tjm73

tjm73

Wow. Very cool.

18. Choptop

Choptop

Do you have any pics hardtops from Carrell Speedway? Looking for Arthur Galbraith (#47), Kenny Parks or Tex McAllister.

19. All good! Thought I would ask. If you could keep an eye out for '49 SCTA show pics that would be appreciated.

I did this a while back, 'Dirt Duel'
    [​IMG]

20. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Thank You for the photos the no 25 car has a OUTRIDERS club Plaque members Jack McGrath and Manny Ayulo were OUTRIDERS and made it to INDY. Roadster driver Rex Mcapes from Petaluma he lives down the street from me won the Pacific Coast Championship 1948 at 99 speedway ck Hot Rod Mag OCT 1948.

21. primed34

primed34

Thanks for posting. I have always thought the Spalding Bros. car was one of the best looking roadsters ever.

22. JUSTLOOKIN

JUSTLOOKIN
    from SFV

Spalding Roadster when Harold White owned it....

[​IMG]

23. Bodger45

Bodger45

Thanks for posting!!!

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great collection. I've always felt that a turtledeck T track roadster is the classic hot rod, and they inspired a lot of great looking street roadsters in the '50s.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    Stogy likes this.
  25. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Yeah, that FWD is interesting. Looks like its got a drag link on each side in lieu of a tie rod. Would be cool to see the steering box setup.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Anderson

Anderson

So many incredible images! I saved at least half of them...love all the early T stuff.

27. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

ok that front drive setup is crazy and WHAT IS THAT INTAKE!

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  28. That front suspension is off a Citroen Traction Avant.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Woody94

Woody94
    from Holly, MI

Thanks for posting these! Awwwwwwwwsome!

Stogy likes this.