Register now to get rid of these ads!

Top Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 31, 2007.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Hirohata Merc was the first car I remember seein in a mag when I was a kid. That car got me hooked on the whole car culture. I have the tattoo to prove it.

2. My favorite is sitting in my garage. It doesn't get much simpler than this.

Attached Files:

3. RodP

RodP

I too would choose the Cliff Inman Chrysler. It is my all time favorite. When Cliff owned it I would see it all the time on the street, in the drive-ins and at the car shows. I even got to watch Wilhelm working on it in his San Jose shop.

It was an honor to have had a part in the preservation of this milestone car. At my show in 1990 Joe Wilhelm was our special guest. Bill McEuen was kind enough to allow us to display the car as a tribute to his craftsmanship.

Here's a couple of pictures of it on a car hauler after I had finished the paint work. It was done in RM 400 Black nitrocellulose Lacquer. Just like Joe did it the first time.

RodP

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Buster Littons roof on either Lee Pratts new shoebox or the ol Steve Anglin Box out of Brewers shop .

5. RodP

RodP

My second choice would be a 51 Merc with a Butch Hurlhey chop. He has done more than one. That fin sticking up to the right of the Merc is the Inman Chrysler. The 32 was Tom Prufer's.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I loved the pic of that car from the front that you sent me when I was 11.The black merc that is!Did it have Cordoba directionals?

7. RodP

RodP

Anthony
    Here's the front.

Attached Files:

8. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Great pic...Ill take that as a yes.

9. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Sam,s 50 buick is my first choice, as it must have been the reason i wanted my 50 buick sedanet. I liked all the fastbacks, and the first one i remmber was around 54',in Riverside, when neighbor Jack Bryant, started with a 50 chev fastbak. It was lowered, nosed, decked,white/red tucknroll,chromed garnish, dos carburetors,and the best set of rappin,twice pipes,east of L.A. And arrow straight black nitro lacquer body. I guess it was also becuz he let this then 16 year old drive it.

10. mcload

mcload

UPDATE ... Found this more recent pic of the car:
    [​IMG]
    courtesy the Aspen Film Society website (http://www.kontikihale.com/57.html).

I have to agree that this '57 Chrysler is absolutely FINE!!! What great styling! (But I've had a few beers as well)
    <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

11. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

that car's from indy.one of our 1st car shows we put on that guy cruised in at the last minute and won best custom.i think it was one of the guys who built it,not the owner..i wanna say he said "it's a customer's car,i just drove it" and i dont know what he did to it,interior or bodywork..it's a chevy with a caddy front and rear grafted on and a pretty decent interior with center console..the thing i remember about it most is there was a clock in the center of the horn ring :p
    creepy

12. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

13. JackW

JackW

I'm sorta partial to this one - not traditional but since I've owned it for 36 years...

Attached Files:

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

The Dean Jeffries Porsche?

You own that Car?

Wow...

Can you post some more pics?

15. JackW

JackW

I've got a couple of threads going on other sites about the restoration (2nd one - first one was in 1973) of the Jeffries Carrera.

One is here: http://www.356clubbbs.org/index.php?a=forum&f=11

and the other one will be on http://www.rennlist.com/ - look in the air cooled - 356 forum

I'm getting the paint removed with plastic media right now - it will go to the body shop next month.

A bit of history about this car - Dean Jeffries sold it to Albert Nussbaum in 1962 and Nussbaum's partner, Bobby Wilcoxson bought the Aztec. A few days later the FBI showed up at Jeffries shop asking about the guy who bought his car. Turns out that Nussbaum and Wilcoxson were bank robbers on the FBI's ten most wanted list - they were partners on a couple of bank heists back in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

16. There's 2 for me.

1. Sam Barris Merc.

2. Buster Litton Ford.

If you really held a gun to my head and told me to pick, I'd have to go with Sam's Merc....

17. Very cool make sure you keep us posted. The car might not be "traditional" but Dean Jefferies sure is.

18. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the info!!

19. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Dan Landons 49 Chevy Coupe by Barris

[​IMG]
    then Valencia 1949 Chevy
    [​IMG]

20. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Those are all nice--including the Buster Litton car, Lee Pratt's new '49, and Weesner's shoebox, all of which are outstanding.
    But how about some other shoeboxes from the time machine?
    I'd have to narrow it down to three: the first version of Jay Johnston's chopped convertible, or Ed Fahlsing's business coupe (both Jan. 1955 Car Craft) or else the first version of the Leroy Goulart car. I like the second version too, but I like the first one better. Or, if you really want to beat yourself up, Norman Rector's chopped, sectioned '49 Ford with a Cad motor (March 1954 Car Craft).

Sorry I don't have pix, but if somebody does, post away!

Oh, and my favorite? Probably Ed Fahlsing's coupe--seen in color in Rodder's Journal #13. It's mild, but man it's nice.

21. My Favourite Custom would be this '53 Plymouth of Ed Sloan.
    [​IMG]
    A very close 2nd is Ron Dunn's Sectioned Shoebox.

Wow! that is awesome that car still exist, I checked out the rennlist thread great stuff. please keep the updates coming.

22. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I like Sam Barris Buick Fastback - he had less help the Harley Earl's Y Job, who had all the tools Buick had to offer.

Not taking Anything away from Harley. It's all in the head of the Designer

23. akustom57

akustom57

I have always been partial to this chevy done by Ron Gunya of Cleveland.

Attached Files:

24. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

My fav hands down, has to be Buster Littons shoebox coupe. I know its not a 50-58, but 49's are kinda the same right.
    [​IMG] (photo from Rikster sight)

Drew

25. Anyone know the where abouts of this car now??

26. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

"Now there were a couple of versions of this car through the years and both were gorgeous, but the earliest build gets my trophy"

Hi Ryan !
    You say you like the first version of Larry Ernest car but showing the second version and talking about the clone , also made on the second version painted in fall colors . The first version were twotone blue or ?
    I agree the car is a fantastic custom alterd in every end to make a true artpiece out of the shoebox Chevy it once was , my hat off to Larry Ernest and George and Sam Barris even if my vote still are on the Sam Barris Buick .
    Wolf

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  27. Without a doubt, my favorite Custom built during this period is the "Polynesian" Olds built by Valley Customs, and owned by Jack Stewart. The 5" sectioned job, hammer-welded was flawless. This is a case of "less is more" with a lot more work. At least, the top didn't need to be chopped for a lower profile.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  28. FASI

FASI

Since you have pictured the 2nd version of the larry Ernst Chevy, I offer a couple pictures of the clone of same for your comparison.

Attached Files:

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Nice to see this thread revived. After three years, I'd still pick the Buster Litton shoebox as the top custom -- every part of the car reworked, using parts from Stude, Olds, Chev, Cad, Buick and Merc, but so beautifully integrated that the whole thing looks like it was born that way. Amazing, considering that two different shops (Cerny & Barris) both had a hand in its construction. Also one of the best hardtop conversions ever done. Anybody know if this car still exists?:

[​IMG]
    Rik Hoving photo

As a classic custom to own and drive, though, I'd probably pick the Ron Dunn Ford:

[​IMG]

...funny that both my choices are shoebox Fords. No surprise that I own one.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  30. Grapevine and Moonglow.

Attached Files: