Register now to get rid of these ads!

Top 3 Custom Shoebox Fords of the 50s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 12, 2013.

1. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

coupes need to be on the ground or they look top heavy

2. weez

weez

That "of the 50s" part got pushed aside pretty quickly, haha-

One weird thing about my car/the Litton car- the colors are almost identical, yet I never knew the color of Litton's Ford till that TRJ article came out with those great color shots-

I even had someone tell me they saw my car in TRJ.. pretty sure they were talking about the Litton article!

3. Joe Bailon and Buster Litton

Attached Files:

The Indian likes this.
  4. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Also seen Dave's shoebox in person. Beautiful work!

5. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I guess I'm the only one that thinks those Stude headlights are ugly as hell. They're bad enough on a Studebaker, worse on a shoebox.

6. chop32

chop32

Jay,
    I agree with your choices. Buster Littons car is my all time #1.
    Hard to limit it to 3, Id have to go with 4 and add Ron Dunns sectioned masterpiece (and I usually dislike sectioned shoeboxes)!

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

The Buster Litton "coupe" is actually a sedan... To me, it's the pinnacle of a custom shoebox. I still love Andreas' recreation- he did a very fine job.

8. autobilly

autobilly

9. I like 'em all.

10. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

dont get anybetter for me than a shoebox:D heres one that was on the ebay

Attached Files:

11. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

Was looking at this thread and the first green shoebox that Jive Bomber posted cought my eye and wondered if anyone knew what ever happen to it . Back in the early 60s. there was a local junk yard that a fellow drove in a shoebox with a rod knock and traded for a running car . I tryed to get my Dad to help me buy the car and he said he wouldnt buy a car with a blown motor . the shoebox looked like the same car . it had the same side chrome and same grill also white roll n pleat inside; lowered with wide whites. could have it been the same car. the junk yard was Ohio. thanks for this great thread Kenny g.

12. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

So many to choose from.... this looks to have been one from Balion

Also a few other neat shoeboxes.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  13. Yaril

Yaril

i am partial to the Gaylord built Don Carrol shoebox ;)

i thought in order to be a "custom" it must be chopped or sectioned, anything else would be considered "mild custom"?

14. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

Sorry rbantique I wasnt trying to give you a history lesson . alot of old Customs ended up in junk yards and was wondering if this could have been one.?.reguards. Kenny g.

15. Torchie

Torchie

One of my favorites as well.
    I believe that this car is still around but if the pics I have seen are correct it has been pretty screwed up.
    Seems like the Alexander Brothers get most of the press when it comes to talking about Detroit customs (Not without reason) but the Clarkaiser shop turned out some very nice cars as well.

16. I'm partial to my Dad's...

[​IMG]

17. weez

weez

Tom Liechty has owned the Utopia for many years. You wouldn't recognize it. Would be a good candidate for restoration to the the version in your picture-

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  18. weez

weez

I'm curious how you know that... I didn't think anyone knew anything specific about the chop of the Litton car. You can't get that side window line from a coupe or a sedan, so I never knew how it was done originally. Although it could have started off as either one, I always assumed it was a coupe, (and Barris says it was a coupe, for what that's worth) If you have any build pics or info of the Litton car, please share! Andreas did a great job on his roof and it was neat to see how that came together-

19. chop32

chop32

LeRoy Goularts shoebox was further modified as shown in the photo below.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that it had been wrecked and subsequently crushed, but dont quote me on that.

Attached Files:

20. flamingokid

flamingokid

The York Shoebox most closely resembles my Dads,which is probably why I like it.

21. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

That's one of the best two-tone treatments I've seen on a shoebox.

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love this car! In the first pic do you know it that is a darkened red oxide primer?

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

24. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

I was never a big Shoebox fan until;
    [​IMG]

25. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

WEEZ: "I'm curious how you know that... I didn't think anyone knew anything specific about the chop of the Litton car. You can't get that side window line from a coupe or a sedan, so I never knew how it was done originally. Although it could have started off as either one, I always assumed it was a coupe, (and Barris says it was a coupe, for what that's worth) If you have any build pics or info of the Litton car, please share! Andreas did a great job on his roof and it was neat to see how that came together."

Good thread on the Litton car that Ryan started about six months ago. On page 4 an article from '53(?) said it was a 'Club Coupe'. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717736

26. Trickster

Trickster

Love em all thay respond so well to the kustom treatment.
    Thay should have came factory std with a hack saw in the boot.:D

27. swazzie

swazzie

28. I always thought the Clarkaiser car's window treatment was a little busy, otherwise the car itself is spot-on. If I could own one from the fifties it would be the Goulart car, second rendition. Mind you, these two newer build capture the spirit of the fifties admirably, and I would certainly give up the left side of a certain part of my anatomy for either:

Attached Files:

29. 4rod

4rod

when it comes to customs, IMO There are Certain things that just shouldn't be changed...On 49' and 50' shoeboxes its the Grill...I think that's what distinguishes that car...The hood and grill section should have neve been messed with...IMO that's what set's that car apart for other customs...I'm not sure who's box this is but IMO they captured the essence of the period and kept the hood and grill which is the dynamic centerpiece [​IMG]

30. weez

weez

Yes, it's a great grille and it's iconic... but a custom is CUSTOM. It's supposed to be a restyle or a personal expression, a new design idea. Plus there's the goal (in the 50's at least) of disguising the make of of a more inexpensive car to make it more glamourous and expensive appearing. I'm pretty sure the owner of a new stock shoebox would have felt a bit inadequate when being shown up by a new Lincoln, Cad, etc... I know it's all moot now and anything old is interesting and different, but I always think of customizing its original context. That's just me though-