Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs To White wall or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loafing1, Oct 24, 2014.

?
  1. Solid chrome wheels

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Powder coated wheels w/trim rings, caps, etc.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Both look great can't go wrong with either combination

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. loafing1

loafing1
    from Nebraska

Hello Hambers,
    So I am torn between the following options for a mild custom 1940 Ford coupe - two inch Sam Foose design chop and otherwise fairly traditional except for a shaved nose and trunk.

I love wide whites and also love chrome 'OE' style wheels (using a spider cap for the center). However, after looking a hundreds of photos, I'm beginning to wonder if wide whites look better on powder coated wheels that use beauty rings, spider rings and spider caps - the contrasting circles of the chrome rings against the colored wheels seem to be a nice contrast to the wide whites against the black tire. This is compared to wide whites next to solid chrome wheels... Do basic black walls look better with chrome wheels?

I'm debating keeping the powder coated wheels and getting wide white walls (currently have black walls that need replacing) or getting new chrome wheels... But then to get white walls or standard black tires??

What's the consensus of the group?

2. You will get all kinds of opinions,some you haven't ask for.

As for me I have had both combinations although I still prefer painted or powder coated wheels. HRP

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

WW & chromes just look right on a '40, especially in the mild custom style IMO. But then again it's a chore to make a '40 NOT look good. :D

4. loafing1

loafing1
    from Nebraska

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

Your car makes the choice easy: exaggerated big 'n' little blackwalls with body-color (or black) '48 Merc wheels, '40 Standard hubcaps and ripple-style trim rings. Pleeeeeze don't gook your car up with trendy gimmics like spider caps and spider cap rings! They were considered cheap and gaudy in the early '60s and are double-cheap and gaudy now IMHO. Nice car, by the way.

1927graham likes this.
  6. Special Ed

Special Ed

.... It all depends on what year of a build you are shooting for .... Forties? Fifties? Sixties?

7. Yep, totally depends on style of build. Painted wheels is my favorite. 004.JPG

2many projects likes this.
  8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Looking at your car it it crying out loud for wws and small center hubcaps. I think I would think of medium wide. Maybe 2 1/2" back and 2" front.

9. FAUST

FAUST

I think every man needs several sets of wheels for his car. With that in mind, what ever choice you make is cool.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  10. On a custom application a nice set of chromies with a 1 inch white wall would put it in the late 50s early 60s custom class. When you have questions like this it is best if you can find old Hot Rods or Car Craft mags and look in those to see what was the deal then. Also it give you good visual representation of what you are looking for.

11. I lean towards painted rims, poverty caps, wide whitewalls and NO trim rings.
    This doesn't mean I'm always right though.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

American 5 spokes, and proper big and little blackwalls would make that car a HOT ROD.

wide white walls are the most over used item in the world of old cars.

loudbang and 1927graham like this.
  13. Fourdy

Fourdy

I am prone to like the w/w for a 40. Think yours would look great with them.

My 40
    [​IMG]

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

BOO! Fourdy jumped right out at me! I jumped...

15. hallrods

hallrods

two inch whites and chrome rims look great on a 40

16. See....:rolleyes: HRP

lucky13 likes this.
  17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The chop on your coupe is absolutely gorgeous. IMHO wide whites with painted wheels and caps and no rings would really pop.
    It seems to me there are ten black coupes with red wheels anywhere you go, that's why mine are gun metal grey. I don't want to get lost in the crowd.
    Saying that, you may get ten responses saying red is the only option, your car, maybe the photoshop guys would help make up your mind. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414181878.368451.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

18. brady1929

brady1929

Can't go wrong when you chop, louver or white wall.

19. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Big whites and painted wheels.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are so many things to do with your life other than clean white walls. Bob

21. When I quit drinking I found out I had plenty of time and money to build cars and clean whitewalls. icon_lol.gif HRP

22. 47ragtop

47ragtop

The solution is to have more than 1 set of wheels and tires ! That way you have many cars for the price of 1 and you don't grow tired of the same car .

23. After seeing the pic of your car it needs NO whitewalls but it does need the wheels painted some color other than red with rings and caps. Car looks great!!!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Honky Lips

Honky Lips

As Luigi says in the movie "CARS" No, no, no! You don't know what you want! Luigi know what you want. Black-wall tires, they blend into the pavement, but these white-wall tires, they say look at me, here I am, love me.

25. Your car right now has a hot rod attitude.
    If you put white walls on it and full caps
    like Dodge spinners or Olds Fiesta flippers, you turn it into more of a "custom"
    If you go a little further and add skirts, then it's more a "custom"
    Nothing changes a car's attitude more than wheels and tires.
    The point about having several sets is a good one!
    I also agree that red is overused but it is also probably the
    most Traditional color.

26. It all depends on the car. My five window I think look great with WW But my roadster looks good with Black walls. Again it all depends on the car and your personal taste.
    FUEL LINE 013.JPG
    Spring! 002.JPG
    I see your 40 (that is beautiful) with wheels the same color as the car, wide white walls, with small hub caps and trim rings. Can someone photo shop it for this guy?

27. Road Runner

Road Runner

No wide whitewalls, but enhance the clean classy understated look with chrome rings matching the body trim and powder coat the wheels matching the color of the car and chrome hubcaps with script in the same color.
    This way the car makes the statement without unrelated red color and other distractions.

Otherwise it would look like a dark elegant suit with short pants, white socks and red shoes ... screaming I am very young or very old and need even more attention than I am already getting.

loudbang likes this.
  28. You may be right! Let's see it both ways!

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

30. loafing1

loafing1
    from Nebraska

Thanks for all the great ideas! Love it! Anyone that can photoshop for me body-matching wheels with center caps - that would be great. It would also be cool to see the same but with white walls for comparison. You guys thinking of the 40 standard "v8" caps or the 40 deluxe "ford deluxe" caps? And with the script done in purple?
    Thanks!