Register now to get rid of these ads!

Title Making?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mediumriser, May 23, 2010.

1. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

I am located in Ohio and it is getting harder and harder to get a home built car registered. I heard from a guy today that there is a place in Nevada, if you send them your info they can have a Nevada Title and paper work made. He has done this, and told me I could use for a year in Ohio then just transfer the made Nevada title over to and Ohio title. If anyone knows of any such company please let me know.

Thanx Pat in Cincy

2. 62rebel

62rebel

a lot of people have read this thread and so far nobody's replied. so: i will. think about it THIS way: Ohio DMV does things the way they want you to. this company in Nevada MIGHT supply you with a title you can use to register your car, but what if the Ohio DMV doesn't honor it? and then, since you don't have proper paperwork for it, force you to either forfiet it or destroy it. not worth the risk to me. follow the DMV rules for your state. safest bet IMHO.

3. If you can get it titled in another state, then suddenly have just brought the car to Ohio, it may work. While Ohio doesn't like NYS registrations, titles generally aren't as big a problem. They can't force you to forfiet the vehicle if you have reciepts for all the parts.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think that is a felony in California.....

5. RichG

RichG

dude, what isn't a felony in California?:p

6. choppwatchagot

choppwatchagot

haha thats funny shit right there

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

No kidding, do it three times and you're going down for 25 years....:eek:

8. RichG

RichG

If you try to pass off a bad/fake title three times and get caught... you deserve to go to jail.

9. Call the DMV and ask them if transfering a Nevada title to Ohio is or isn't a problem. Usually the stumbeling block is having the VIN checked by whomever does the checking in your state. If the VIN check raises any flags, that's where the problems start. As long as the VIN matches the title, is in the proper location, doesn't look like it's been tampered with, etc, etc., you shouldn't have any problem...

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

smokin dope:D

11. now thats funny shit dude!:D:D

12. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

345 DeSoto nailed it. In the early 80's I bought a NY title to a 23 Ford. I had just finished a T-Bucket. I took it to the DMV in Dallas, and the lady went to a large book and checked the serial number to make sure it was legit, then gave me a Texas title on the spot. I bought the title from an old wrecking yard in NY, that had saved them for years.

13. billthx138

billthx138

Go back a couple of months in Street Rodder Magazine, they had an article about licencing and titling. Many people and businesses are under indictment and or investigation for many felonies due to the titling issues in Ca. The titling company in Vegas was cited in the article as being one of those in deep crap!!!! Go through the proper channels in your DMV and you will save a lot of heartache in the long run.

14. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Yeah, but when we go out of state, we have to remember that... Uhhhh, what??:p

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

How often do you get reciepts at swap meets??, thats where my t has been compiled from

16. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I suspect Ohio has a similar process to Texas. The basics are usually pretty typical.

If you don't satisfy title requirements the easy way, then you can request a title hearing. It usually ends favorably with you needing to post a title bond for maybe 3 years. You pay a bond company a couple of hundred dollars to cover the bond and are under certain restrictions for selling or trading during that time. Once that period expires without any claims against you, the title is released and looks like any other. The only hitch you are likely to face is the year of manufacture. If it's not clearly built on a vintage car, it may get stamped as a 2010 model. That means 2010 safety and emmisions requirements. This is really what the hearing is about. You should be prepared to demonstrate why the car should be titled as the year you propose.

17. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Electrodude,
    Mark Coelman,

Thanks for your service to our beautiful country.

Ago
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

18. turdytoo

turdytoo

In Arkansas, you can get a title to a car over 40 years old that you want to put antique plates on by getting a State Police verification of vin #, proof of liability insurance, bill of sale, and proof that it has been assessed for personal property taxes. The antique license battle has subsided so there is another advantage to having friends or living in Arkansas.

19. 6-71

6-71

I was talking this over with a friend last week,He bought a NJ registration for a 37 Dodge(no Title),and tried to register it in Ohio. He said after several hours of interogation by a detective he came close to being jailed.The only thing that saved him was a bill of sale from the previous owner with the VIN on it.The police also contacted the person in NJ who sold the registration.He is a regular advertiser in Hemmings.I dont know what happened to the NJ seller,but the car has never been registered.

20. pdq67

pdq67

I personally know of one boneyard here locally that had a stash of old titles that got raided for something stupid like the owner's Son's "grass" and got them confiscated!

pdq67

21. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Well I guess I am going to have to go through the inspection process. I called and they said, just make sure it has brake lights, turn signals, E brake, seat belts and mirrors. Also make sure I have all receipts. My dad did this back in 1999 and he said the only things they checked were the Manufacturers State of Origin, Engine VINS,and Tranny VINS. I have all these in notarized receipts. The only thing they may give me a problem on is the "Home Built" frame but I also have the receipts for the steel used.

Thanx For all the replies!
    Pat in Cincy

22. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Why would you want to serve a term on the farm over a title for a car, ruin your entire life and be a felon over something thats worth maybe 3 grand?

23. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

I have rebuilt many "Salvage Vehicles" with out of state and instate Ohio titles. NEVER any problem with any of them by following the rules and having the inspection. Usually takes less than 30 min. Inspection office is 45 miles away and was always a good test drive (legally) to take an unlicensed car on the road. Follow the rules, and you should have no trouble. Ohio requires all out of state cars to be inspected which only consists of paying a nominal fee and checking to see if the title # matches the car Vin #. Follow the OH rules and have your receipts.

24. johnnyfrank54

johnnyfrank54
    from las vegas

you might be able to get a title, but nv is a pain to actually register "homebuilds" as they call them. tons of paperwork and inspection, safety, vin, ect.. plus they title every thing as 2010 homebuilt. f'in sucks

25. I thought OP wanted to legally title his car in Nevada, then transfer the title to Ohio. Big difference in that and someone just using an old NY registration like so many fools have done. Those guys are part of who make this stuff so hard - NY issued those damn things every year (every two years starting around 1990-ish), so if you saved three or four and someone else finds them 40 years later and sells them, there could be four different cars in four states running around with the same serial number - and because it's so easy to register with no paperwork in NY, the original car itself could still be on the road too.

Anyways I bumped this thread because I was looking for info on NY to Ohio titling, I have a guy from there interested in a car I have for sale, and this is quoted right off the Ohio BMV (it is BMV) website for titling from out of state:

"When you are converting or transferring title to a vehicle that was last titled in another state, the following is required:

The actual Certificate of Title; copies are not acceptable. If your out of state title reflects an open lien, proper evidence of its extinction or a copy of the security agreement or loan contract covering the vehicle is required. If your title is held by a lienholder, any title office can provide the necessary paperwork to request the original title.

Out of State Inspection Form Any vehicle last previously registered or titled in another state must have a physical inspection, before being titled in Ohio. This is NOT a safety inspection. The inspection of your vehicle will verify the year, make, body type, model, and manufacturer's serial number or vehicle identification number (VIN). All license agencies offer this service as well as many car dealerships. Call ahead and ask for the service department.

You will be given the completed inspection form. Please contact the clerk of the Courts Title Office as well as where you get your inspection completed, for fees involved. "

It looks to me like if you show up with a special contruction, or something with a suspicious or altered serial or VIN tag, they're going to inspect it in great detail anyways - but if you know someone at a car dealership who can do the inspection for you, they might be a little more lax with the details.

26. Skrayp

Skrayp

The company in Nevada being referred to is probably ITS. You send them a notarized bill of sale with your vin on it, and they register your car in a non titling state. I used them on my 55 chevy. I was sent a registration from Maine, and a notarized bill of sale back to me. The BMV did my out of state inspection, and I walked next door to the title dept to get my title. All they inspect is your serial number. The title clerk was confused as to why I only had a registration, but they checked their law books to verify it was legit.

27. I.T.S has used loopholes for years and they are closing up quickly as most states are getting hip to them.last one i heard they supplied for a wa. state car took $1,200 and 5+ months to get with lots of calls bitching and demanding a refund!

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Thank you, Pat in Cincy;
    Up front you implied that getting a title on a homebuilt is getting harder to do. Fight the system, it's hard. Follow the system, it gets easier...............
    You have pointed out a simple fact. Each of us can get our homebuilt titled without hiring anybody else to do it, JUST ASK YOUR LOCAL DMV WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.

The first requirement is that you personally possess and legally own the vehicle. Part of the process, and the need to show the receipts is a method they use to establish ownership, and establish value. From there, getting a Title on that motor vehicle making it possible to register said vehicle for operation on public roads, whatever method your DMV will accept, is your goal.
    Walk in and ask, follow their policy.

29. Larry T

Larry T

Around here, there are companies that make a living helping folks get titles legally. They know the in's and out's of the laws and know how to get through the system.
    I'll bet there are title companies in Ohio too.
    Just another option.
    Larry T