Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TIRES, white wall tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustumizer, Dec 7, 2003.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

[ QUOTE ]
    Im not sure about that one, but im sure it was done. I dont think they do it any more though!! Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

they did have all white tires when the automobile was still a NEW thing. i've seen them in old pictures and on a couple restored "horseless carriages"... they kinda look like motor cycle tires but are something like 30inches in diameter.

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

did they have WBW (wide black walls) on all white tires? [​IMG]

3. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

[ QUOTE ]
    did they have WBW (wide black walls) on all white tires? [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

UMMM. NO!!!

smartass....

4. Bugman

Bugman

I have been kicking around this very idea for a while. I never got around to it though. I tried it today, and it does work well. Just be carefull you don't go through the white, cause there's more black under that [​IMG].

-Bugman Jeff

5. daddylama

daddylama

ive heard of guys doing this before... even saw an oldtimer do it once, using a buffer and a kinda worn-out sanding disk...
    so i just ran out to the barn and sanded down part of an old white letter tire. Used a really worn out 80 grit disk on my 7 1/2" grinder (no speed control, but it's kinda shot so it's not too fast anymore)... only did like 6" of the tire, but hot damn, works pretty well... the white is pretty smooth, too. 'Course i smell like a tire factory now...
    but im gonna try it on a set of tires ive got...

6. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Kool, sounds like everybodys had good luck with it so far!! Nate

7. Elrusto

Elrusto

This Is a great post!!
    Bttt

8. In order to get the outside edge of the white wall nice and even, couldn't you mount the tire on the rim, put it back on the front of the car, jack it up and and get somebody to spin it while you go at it with the sander. this would get you the smooth edge. Then take the tire off the rim and finish it up. Like coloring inside the lines.

I'm going to try it this weekend, I've got a trailer with some used NWW on. I'll report back.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

[ QUOTE ]
    couldn't you mount the tire on the rim, put it back on the front of the car, jack it up and and get somebody to spin it while you go at it with the sander. this would get you the smooth edge

[/ QUOTE ] That's a hell of an idea! It would be like putting it on a lathe. Now all we would have to to is find a way to position the grinder and make it stationary. We'll get this perfected before you know it.

10. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Hey guys, the only reason yuo would have to do this is if you are not making the whitewall the widest it can go. If you grinf the whitewall all the way out it will leave a nice clean edge because there is not all white underneath the black. If you were going to make a half inch white wall into a 1 inch whitewall i would do what you guys are talking about! What i just said is kind of hard to understand! Thanks Nate

11. Somebody needs to nominate Nate for best (or maybe most useful) tech. post. This is good stuff. Way to go Nate.

12. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Kool, thanks i hope i win for best tech of week!! Thanks Nate

13. Elrusto

Elrusto

Ya got my vote!!

14. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Kool, thanks. Nate

15. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

mine too. This is one post that pretyt much everyone on here could use to save a nice chunk of cash. I get sets of skinny whites for $100. So this is SO much better than shelling out $500-$1000 for some wide ones.

16. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

17. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

The outer edge is the existing edge of the whitewall.TP

18. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

The whitewall goes past the exsiting whitewall edge. Heres a pic. Nate

Attached Files:

19. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Post deleted by dirty dug

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Please ignore the above post. I don't wanna delete this whole thread cuz of one bad apple.

Again, please ignore the above post.

21. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Its cool, he can go spend his money on buying whitewalls instead of saving some money!! Nate

22. james

james

What if you jacked up the tire and set a bench grinder under the tire to spin it? Seems like spinning it somehow would give you a more even finished tire.

23. [ QUOTE ]
    This week was a chance for you posers to actually learn something about building a hot rod but you chose to focus on one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen, grinding tires. You fucks should start your own website, call it, POSERS WITH FAKE WHITEWALLS.COM. Go paint your wheels red and get higher on the paint.

[/ QUOTE ]Do you even know what traditional hot rodding is about? It is about using what you have and making things that are ment for something else work for you.It's about fabricating your own parts when you can't get them or they are out of your price range.I would much rather be driving my car on a set of wide whites that I ground out then leting my car set while I try to come up with the money to buy over priced tires.Some of us are not made of money.

24. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

I hear you mongo. I dont know what his problem was. Its cool though! Thanks Nate

25. ____

____

on the narrow whites ive seen latley ,the white portion is RASIED UP from the black,,,does this mean you GRIND down the white till its gound down past the black untill its all a solid white band? seems like ALOT of gringing to do and if so,it seems like it look like shit after it was all done with??? just wondering ,. i mean they may look good on the internet,but do they look decent in real life?

thanks

26. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

some wide whites have a raised skinny section on them new, I never really noticed it until last week when a 50 plymouth was brought in for paint and i was checking out the wheels. I don't remember the brand but the guy said they were about $1000 a set.

27. It's cool that you are telling everyone about grinding whitewalls!I have some on my car that i did a few years back,i used some white letter tires,like bf goodrich radial ta's,and it worked great! at first i used a angle grinder,but then i found that a sanding disc on a drill works better,cause it's not too fast and it gives a smoother finish.after i sand them by hand with 80 grit then 120.for cleaning them i use an sos pad which is basically soap and fine steel wool.I've had mine for 3 years now and no problems .the outline white letter tires work even better cause there's less height to grind off.I think that this is one of the best kept secrets of our hobby !cool man this post rocks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

28. ikillspies

ikillspies
    from Minnesota

so, do you grind the tires dry, or would it be better to use oil or other lubrication, and also, is there white underneath the black on the bead part of the tire that is seated into the rim?

29. Some people have already asked this, but I couldn't see an answer so I'll ask it again.

I've been running Michelin thin line whites for years now. The latest set I've got on my car have a "dip" either side of the whitewall. Wouldn't that mean that the white rubber is either raised, or is only applied where required?

I think the same tyre in the US is a BF Goodrich.

30. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

I just wanted to say thanks great post, I have got some small whites laying around in garage a 4 inch makita grinder now I know what Ill be doing this weekend once again thanks for the tech tip