Register now to get rid of these ads!

Timing on a 392

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, May 1, 2011.

1. concreteman

concreteman

Guys
    what is the timing for a 392 hemi and do you take it from #1 0r #8
    Thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

????????????Errr?
    I have never seen an engine that times off the second cylinder in the firing order.

You could probably use #6 which is half way though the firing order if it was easier to reach but it should time off number one which is the first one on the left (US drivers side) bank.

3. I like to give my engines what they want. Don't know what the 'book' numbers are for the 392 but I have always tuned by how it runs and not what the book says to do. Generally, I start out with 10 initial and go from there. Your compression ratio and cylinder pressure will dictate how much you can go with. What is your CR and have you done a compression check? Is it stock or modified?

4. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Time off #1 and the timing according to Chilton's is 6-10 btdc, my 392 is currently set at 12 btdc. Bob Walker from Hot Hemi Heads recommended these for my application with the blower.

5. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

My old Chilton says 6 before TDC for most all the V8 hryslers 57 and 58 except 8BTDC on the 58 Windsor and saratoga. Same books says expect about 20 extra crank degrees of centrifugal advance up around 4400 rpm on the 2 bbl engines and 13 degrees at 2100 on the 4 bbl and Fuel INjected (!) engines. That assumes a TDC mark I can trust.

6. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

INterntional scout and pickup V8 firing order 18436572, timed off #8. I do not know if the furthest front cylinder is #1 or #2, like Flathead Ford V8s and one of the GM divisions at one time I think

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Normally #1 is what you want. Although I do have a 392 set up to time off #3. I had changed the water pump to the BBC style and it blocked your vision to leave the timing tab on the "stock" side. So instead of going to the trouble of cutting a new key on my dampener I simply "moved" the timing mark to the opposite side of the motor where I could see it. The other side is 90 degrees different - so I needed a 90 deg shift in the timing light. #3 is the closest one 90 degrees "off" - it works perfectly.

As for the timing I try not to get much more than 30 total with my early hemi's. YMMV

8. tig master

tig master
    from up north

You can time it from #1 or #6

Tig.

9. 4tford

4tford

I run 8 degrees btdc and timed from #1. Dual quad engine with 10.35 compression.

10. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I time mine off of the number one cylinder and lately I have been thinking of trying to adjust the timing to where it makes the most vacuum.

11. TomWar

TomWar

That's a trick that us "old timers" used all the time!!