Register now to get rid of these ads!

Time to get serious

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by OBFB HA/GR, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

Great to see it coming back together mate

2. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Don't you just hate it when you're tightening down the last head and you only have a few studs to go , then dang me the thread pulls up in the block. Just what I needed , oh well just another job to add to the list . Nearly ready for fire up .Then you have to be very carefull of Copper head gaskets , they can be very sharp on the edges , especially when thrown if a fit of anger.

Attached Files:

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sorry Mate...perhaps while you are at it you should just put helicoils in all of the holes and be done with it. Ain't it amazing how it seems that we seem to get injured when we wig out in fits of rage over the things our old iron does to get our attention. :p

Heal fast and put her back together...looking forward to hearing how well it runs.

4. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Do you guy's know how long it takes to fit 24 Helicoils . Then I realised I've still got the other side to do . The guy who did my machining for me advised to fit Helicoils to each head stud , 'cos next time the heads come off I'm gunna be doin' some again if I don't . Seems to be taking forever but the end is now in sight.

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

As the saying goes..."if it was easy, everyone would be doing it". :p

6. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

Make sure that lime green rocket is ready for Nationals in August Nigel. We might be able to out number the Mexicans for the first time

7. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

All going well she should be running this weekend , no more hiccups I hope. I'll post some pic's of the rear tyre smoke , yeh right.

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Just put'em up to 45 psi for one run. :D

9. ScottV

ScottV

Oh hey Nigel ... ummm, you spelled tire wrong !!! :p

Can't wait to see how you do !!!

10. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

How does she sound , finally got all the helicoils installed and the heads on , she fired right up first kick.still needs the timing set but I'll wait until the cams run in . First run down the street tommorrow , that should wake up the neighbours.

11. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Woops , seem to have had a malfunction , there was supposed to be a small video clip attatched to the last posting , so here's some stills instead.

Attached Files:

12. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

Good news Nigel. Let me know when you're hitting the track again. See if we can run some paired passes

13. ScottV

ScottV

You know I was joking ... right ??? :confused:

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

The stills sound rather seriously over muffled ........... but they look great.

15. bobw

bobw

I love a nicely dressed Flattie. Do you lock the advance in the distributor?

Dick, in the Midwest we spell Woops, Whoops.:D

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Dick didn't spell it that way, Nigel did, probably an OZ thing...part of being an "old bald fat bloke".:p

17. bobw

bobw

A big whoops on my part. I should have known better than to try to tweek the HA/GR master linguist. Sorry, Dick.

Nigel, your car looks outstanding. I hope you can post some video with your engine running. Love the sound of a flathead.

18. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Sorry about the spelling , but I'm not very edjumat,edjuc, not very smart.

19. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

May be this time

20. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Bob , yes the advance is locked , I run 25 degrees all in at 1800 rpm. The vacuum can on the side has now been removed and the lock plate installed.

21. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

We took the old girl down to where I work , you've gotta love the colour of our bulidings, we have a big carpark so we could hammer around without the law chasing us away.
    First runs were a bit sluggish , lean running , so we changed the size 48 jets for the only other I had , these have been bored out to 1/16 inch.She over fuielled bad but the power is there.So now I need some jets between what I have and I think we will be on the money.
    This is the first time Kerry has ever sat in the car , now I'm worried I won't be able to get her out.

Attached Files:

22. 97

Jeez mate , now we know where ya flogged the paint from!! and "on Ya " Kerry, make him build another one if he wants to drive....he had the fun of building it, you take charge and drive the thing. :D:D:D

Nigel, Holley jets are not sized but are numbered according to flow , however a jet drilled with a 1/16 drill is about equivalent to a 64 or 65 Holley Jet.... depending on how well the hole is chamfered and how wobbly the driller was..:rolleyes:
    For racing I reckon you need about 52s if you are leaving the power valves working and 57s if they are blocked off ( best) , with all three carbs working in unison . You should only need idle circuits in the center carb. The end carbs idle can be blocked by making a base to body gasket without idle holes and screwing the mixture screws all the way in. Put all the pumps on longest stroke, and the floats on the high side of specs ( 1.322) .
    You can go higher if you find it nosing over at the top end, Lincolns ran the float level at 1.260. Near enough the came carb.

If you have it set up progressive there are a few more tricks to running 94s PM me .

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  23. ScottV

ScottV

Hey Nigel ... this is the first time I realized that your car is not black !!!

Wow, judging from the pics from work that thing is really nice !

24. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

Do you work at Gemini Nige? What store?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  25. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Yes mate I work for Gemini ,our shop used to be Mal Gilbert Smash and we were bought out . I've been here for going on 8 years at the same desk , I'm an estimator and our shop is in Southport.

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sorry, Nigel, I just can't resist a couple cheap shots on those pictures, so here they are .......... :D

Now that's a truly loud color, one with the raw power to bleed onto the surrounding buildings.
    Perhaps some clear coat would contain that.

Oh wait, I understand now.
    It's actually camoflage ....... at least in that enviroment it is.

And I'm with 97, Kerry, but challenge him to build another one. :D

OK, I'm 64, I finally have an excuse for these things. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  27. Living Hamb

Living Hamb

Small world mate. I'm the Sales Manager at SSS Auto Parts. We supply parts to Gemini stores at Mermaid, Burliegh, Aspley, Bulimba and Enoggera. Maybe we could supply some to Southport wink, wink, nudge, nudge!!!!

Also mate, might be taking Hambster up to test n tune on the 9th. Will keep in touch, let you know

28. thats a serious machine thar nigel :eek:

that means some serious $$$$$$$:(

$$$$$$$ equals MPH

MPH equals smiles:D

smiles and low ET's go hand in hand:D

see you at the nostalgia nationals in august

pimpin pete

29. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

We took the old girl out to our private test track today, a quiet Industrial street , she pulls real strong to about 3500 rpm then just hits a wall , well back to the fuel I think.
    Off the line she really hauls some a##, so once we get this fuel sorted I'm sure she will rev out a heap more.
    More testing next weekend. I'll try to post some video. just built a bracket that clamps onto the rollcage, race cam.

30. bobw

bobw

Sounds like your are closing in of some great performance. Good luck next weekend.