Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Red Hydra Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Well it is a swoopy son of a gun. I am not sure of the significance of the twin screws unless it is to gain a traction advantage with the older skinny tires, but I can say that if I had a couple of days with it I would sure be grinning the majority of the time.

3. Kinky6

Kinky6

What, no machine guns? ;)

Pretty bad-ass for a movie car!

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

4. That is very very cool! Is it a real, functioning car, or does it exist only on a computer graphic program?

~Alden

5. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

First thing I thought when I saw this was the car from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...

6. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

7. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

One More!

Attached Files:

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Its a real functioning car... Built on a truck chassis and using a Ford V8 "dragster" engine for power. I wonder though... if the car used in the movie was as detailed and as gorgeous as these images OR are these images and videos CGI? Doesn't really matter as the car is ridiculous to think of in reality... In your dreams, however, incredible...

And you have to see the movie to hear it run... I don't know where they got the audio clip for the sounds, but a car guy HAD to be responsible... It's mellow and cammy.

9. bob-o

bob-o

I really enjoyed the movie and thought that this was one of the most killer movie cars ever.

If any car lent inspiration to the Red Skull's luxo-rod, it would probably be the Mercedes G4:

[​IMG]

10. grander

grander

Where is the car now?

11. grander

grander

Where is the car now?

12. grander

grander

Where is it now?

13. Crossed with a 540K...

[​IMG]

HAIL HYDRA!

14. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

The scenes with the car by far were my favorite part of that movie - and i actually thought of the Jalopy Journal as I was watching - it seemed right up your alley.

I was struck by the fact that they did such a good job getting the overall 'look' of the period right but then chose to 'update' the negative 'social' aspects of the era (like having black and white soldiers in the same unit - that didn't happen for US troops until Korea). I can see that the director probably wanted to make the movie more inclusive, but if you know the history it kinda seemed like a whitewash.

anyway, that's O/T but with the car, planes, motorcycles, etc, the movie is fun for imaginary vintage eyecandy.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

If ya didn't know any better that could definitely pass for something on the grass of Pebble Beach or in the Simeone Museum so I think the objective was definitely met there! I love the instrumentation but that goes without saying. The color is pretty special too.

16. Aside from Captain America being the man, The villian driving a unbelievably stunning roadster makes it all that much better. The Hydra Coupe is definitely a Dream (or Nightmare) vehicle.

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

isn't this a little OT for H.A.M.B?

18. I'm thinking I'm going to need to Photoshop it... The white dash and wide whites don't say really say "sinister" to me...

19. Soviet

Soviet

Did you even look at the post? No. It is not.

Anyone have shots of this thing on the street? Curious as the the real life proportions of this beast.

20. :eek::eek::eek:
    Oh Christ!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:We gotta get out of here, the cops are coming!!!!!

21. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome. And, when I watched the movie, I had to rewind a couple times to hear it again.. In the movie it sounds RAD.

22. bob-o

bob-o

Didn't even think out it, but you're absolutely right! And on a sidenote, 540k's are one of the prettiest cars ever designed.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Word. I didn't think of the 540k either. Totally...

24. I love fine craftsmanship.
    That delivers!

25. Ryan hisself posted it! If we gotta explain it to you...

26. Blackwalls = Lil' bit more menacing

Attached Files:

27. 2Hep

2Hep

The Grill seems like there is a touch of Packard in there

28. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

pissed off cars have whitwalls too. and I love me a mad lookin car.

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Totally agree... Your Merc is one of the more pissed off cars I've ever been around... Park it in a parking lot, stand back about 30' and just look - you can literally see that thing mad dogging all of the other cars in the lot.

30. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

That guy who designed it, Daniel Simon has some more information about it, on his site here.

a popular mechanics article about the car, here.

-W

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012