Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Pre-Hammered So-Cal Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. captmullette

captmullette

i agree.. looks better...........

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

The So-Cal and the Pearson Brothers coupe's have always been two of my favorite competition coupes ever built,.... I think there was a few pictures in Rodders Journal a number of years ago, with this car in primer after the "re-chop". (If memory serves me correctly)

You post some coool stuff Boss !

4. sololobo

sololobo

I agree, this is more "realistic", but the slammed job put it in the realm of unreal that was very exciting, may have coined the term "mailslot" tops from this beast. Fun to see it both ways, Thanx!! ~Sololobo~

5. Larry T

Larry T

I agree that the "milder" chop looks better, but looks are not the priority on racecars.
    Larry T

6. The pre-ultra chop would make a fantastic street car. I like the proportions better too. Really flows, clean.

7. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Its now on display at Canepa Design in Scotts Valley, Ca., after a magnificent restoration by Don Orosco.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have always liked the nose and the general lines of the So-Cal car quite a bit more than the Pierson Bros. car. I have have actually pondered the same thing a time or two over the years, and I think I would have to side with you on this one. The radical final chop is cool and outrageous, but that first time around they just flat got it right.

brady1929 likes this.
  9. SteadyT

SteadyT

Normally, the more chop the better I feel (with the exception of A tudors and coupes), but not in this case. The pre-hammered version is gorgeous.

10. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

It actually ran for a season before Alex bought it. It ran with a GMC 6 in it. Langhorn or Langthorn was the name. There is a picture of it on the salt in Hop Up, but I'm at work so can't get to it. The less chopped version is actually my favourite.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I can't say it looks "better" but it definitely looks more attainable or approachable. The really whacked version almost seems like Nannie Doss where and the unchopped version is more of a Bonnie Parker. One thing is for sure, with or with out the heavy chop the amount that engine is setback tells all that this thing is no joke.

I also like the seldom seen pics of it when it ran a 265 Chevy V8 in it as well.

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Does anyone have pictures of the car during Jim Travis' ownership? It looked great in the blue and white paint.

13. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm interested in the last photo, where it says Dave DeLangton killed in this car. I had never heard of any accidents or deaths related to it?

14. kisam

kisam

I have a magazine at home that has a picture of it at Bonneville when it was called "Miss 400". If I remember right, it was 1955 and was competing against the Pierson Coupe. I think Moxley owned it at the time?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I might be crazy, but I think that Jim Travis still races @ Bonneville........for some reason that name sticks in my cranium.

Chris

Nope, I was wrong.......thru a Google search, he passed on in 2005.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=182920&FS=LSR

Stogy likes this.
  16. @Kevin Lee -

Ask and ye shall receive ...

Jim Travis' #86 B-CC (old SoCal Coupe) @ SW 1990.jpg
    Jim Travis' #86 "B" engine class Competition Coupe (B/CC) in the pits @ Bonneville Speed Week - August 1990

Unfortunately, I can't find the ¾-front shot I took of it :(

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  17. Fenders

Fenders

X2. Sounds like the others missed the point of this car.

18. junk fiend

junk fiend

same here

19. I just saw Jim Travis at the CHRR, he was there with Danny Thompson as I recall.

Mick

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, Dave Delangton was killed in the car in '53 or '54 at I believe Pamona. They were drag racing it at the time and the flywheel either exploded or came loose and got him. If I remember the story correctly, this is what made the decision with Alex to sell the car. If I'm not mistaken, Delangton was related to Alex as maybe brother in law or such. I'll look up the story later and fill in the inaccuracies.

21. Jim Travis is still alive. Jim Lindsley who ran the twin Hemi '32 roadster died in 2005.

Dave DeLangton was Alex Xydias brother-in-law. the Accident happened at Pomona dragstrip in '54. Dave had just got back from Korea and wanted to drive so Alex let him. The accident was caused when he shifted the clutch exploded cutting a fuel line pouring fuel on Dave and it subsequently ignited so he jumped out while the car was still moving went thru a couple fences missed Ray Brock as he arrived at the fairgrounds and ran across the street hitting an embankment which stopped it. Dave received third degree burns to most his body and died 4 weeks later in hospital, Alex then quit racing.

22. The first chop is rad and would look killer on a street version but I prefer the later chop as it is more aggressive, looks like a proper race car and is uncompromising in that pursuit.

23. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzola... That would do it for me too. I got more to do than be roasted in my own car.

God bless him....

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sad, the car survived but Dave didn't. I'd have to say I probably would have sold it too.

I like the chop both ways for different reasons. More realistic for the suggested streetness and more sinister for actual racing.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great car with a fine restoration by Don Orosco. I got to see it at the Vintage Races at Lime Rock Park 5-6 years ago. I like the later version with the ARDUN, an all out race car.

26. moefuzz

moefuzz

Ryan,

I have always stopped to read the threads you start and I have to say that your writing style has matured over the years and more recently, your opening statements seem to draw a reader in. -Not all editorials or blog posts have to start with an opening line aimed squarly at this car or that modified...

'Banging your head'' while putting the young one to bed just seems to be more in line with some of the better editorials I read in the big time magazines.

What I'm trying to say is that I myself (for one) can relate to the normal home/life & times as it intertwines with the somewhat offbeat hot rod side of life.

Vintage tin is a big part of my life as are home and family.
    Editorials and/or musings that mix a bit of reality with that fabled far off place, shop, strip or car make for far better reading Irregardless of whether it's posted here on the H.A.M.B or in any one of the the better vintage tin magazines....

Keep up the good work.

moe

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  27. hmm.... no picture of the offending traditional "mobile"

or the knob on yer head it created...

creative journalistic thread starter?

28. autobilly

autobilly

I dig the "form follows function/no bullshit" styling of this car too, but what I really dig is it's success as a duel function racer on the salt and strip.

29. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

I love the rich history and tradition this car portrays, personally I cant resist the lower version, but do respect the more streetable chop. Great thread.

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the Greats Still and forever will be a Classic of Hotrod Culture, Folkore and still is with us....the The Eagle Shaped Coupe piercing into the Salty Dusts of Bonneville...I hope the So-Cal Spirit lives on...It is Hotrod...;)

brady1929 likes this.